“Great breakfast spot”

Ranked #49 of 307 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Grill
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Walua Road
Transit: The Big Island, "Hele-On", public bus and Kona Trolley stop right in front of the restaurant.
Description: Bongo Ben's Island Cafe has quickly made a name for itself as the "Go-To" place for an extensive menu and delicious food, outside ocean front dining with great ocean and sunset views, upbeat local evening entertainment Wed-Fri., large portions and affordable prices, and an Aloha fun-friendly atmosphere! We are honored to be voted "Best Breakfast West Hawaii" from the voters at the West Hawaii Today the last three out of four years, but you'll love our lunch and dinners too!
Reviewed July 4, 2015

There was too long a wait for our large party at Lava Java, so we walked down the street to Bongo Bens and had a great breakfast. Great bloody Mary's for $3 which started us off well. Don't miss their cinnamon rolls! Good location on the main drag of downtown and good spot to people watch too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)

Reviewed July 3, 2015

Went here for dinner right before sunset. The view was amazing and we ended up with great pictures from our seats in the restaurant (there is a pathway where you can quickly cross the street from the dining area to get unobstructed ocean view pics). Hubby had the rib-eye steak dinner and I had the fish and chips (not coconut crusted) but substituted the chips for salad. I had an iced tea, which was pretty good, not weak or watery. The fish was very good, with a nice crunchy breading and good sized pieces of fish. The tartar sauce blend that came with it was perfect. The side salad was fresh and plentiful but I thought their house dressing (garlic vinaigrette) was a bit too oily for my tastes. I lean towards something that is either creamy or more vinegary, but not so oily. There was a bit of cole slaw too which was not bad, but was just plain without any dressing on it. Hubby said the steak was a bit chewy, but did have good flavor. His bleu cheese dressing was ok, but not great. He also had a salad and some sauteed veggies. Veggies were good, but not great.

Dessert was really good - mac nut pie. It was warm and had a dollop of whipped cream. It was decadent.

Service was good and fast, but not so fast that you didn't have time to enjoy the view or relax. The steak was overpriced for what he received. My fish and chips was priced about average. We would go back again and try something new.

Reviewed July 2, 2015

If you are budget conscious and don't want to compromise taste for a good deal this is the place for you. The food service was fast, meals very good and the price closer to what you would be paying stateside.
My son had Fish N' Chips for almost half what we paid the night before at the place across the street and the portion was much larger. Also the view is spectacular!!!

Our waitress was ok. She seemed to be more concerned with her other tables, but sometimes I think if you're with teenagers they don't expect a decent tip and you just don't get the attention
we all deserve. Or.....maybe I was just "thirsty" after spend more time with the kids than normally, and she just seemed to be slow in getting me another drink, LOL!!!!!

All in all definitely a place to go on the Big Island!

Reviewed July 1, 2015

We had lunch here our last day on the island.

The food was perfectly adequate. I had the coconut shrimp, and the cocktail sauce variant served with it was actually very good. The shrimp were large, and seemed to be fresh. The teriyaki chicken wrap my wife had was good, if a bit messy. The vinaigrette salad dressing she was served however looked disgusting, and the taste apparently matched.

All in all it is a perfectly fine place to eat, but it's not anything special. Service was ok, but that was less the server's fault than the fact that there only appeared to be one server for the entire patio area. She was rarely missing, but always busy with too many tables IMO.

A cliché "beach restaurant" a good place for a sandwich or quick bite, but nothing to go out of your way for.

I did hear good things about their breakfast, we just never made it there for that.

Reviewed June 30, 2015

I had fresh Mahi & my boyfriend had the prime rib special - we both enjoyed our dinners very much. The waitstaff was very friendly & prices are very reasonable. Restaurant is located across the street from the ocean and tables are facing the street so you can people watch & enjoy the ocean view.