“Friendly”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Kingston
“Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We were at the airport without a place to stay late Feb 14th, we called a couple of the bigger resort hotels and some were closed at 7:00 pm and others were not friendly. We called Kona Seaside and we didn't even have to give our information over the phone we were told to just come on over we will have a room for you. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and we found a restaurant right next door. Another plus is it was directly across the street from Big Island Harley and we were to pick up our bike the next morning. Would stay here again if we get back to Kona.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This was a really nice place to stay! The room was very comfortable and spacious and the grounds are pretty and well taken care of. The staff are so nice especially that first day you've arrived after a long flight (sometimes you feel like you've taken stupid pills you're so tired). Breakfast was very good too. Service was a little slow, but they were very busy at the restaurant. All in all, I would definitely visit them again! Also, if their parking lot is full, there is a free public lot, about a half block away.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We read reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites, and of course, hesitant about our stay! Have to tell you, we were pleasantly surprised how clean our room was everyday and the staff at the Front Desk was very, very helpful! Our bag was lost by the airlines so we were very upset when we got to the hotel. The girls at the desk turned out to be the best customer service staff I've ever encountered. They called the airlines, and kept me informed every step of the way. Needless to say, I finally got my bag the next day...but the girls helped make that awful beginning into a very, pleasant stay. We arrived late in the evening so didn't expect that the desk staff help me find my luggage, thank you! The hotel was very busy, they went out of their way to help many other folks patiently answering their questions. There were some rude folks staying in the same hotel and although their problems were non-related to the hotel, sadly the front desk staff took most of the brunt and blame.Those folks should've just stayed home instead, as we had to hear their yelling and screaming over problems of their own doing.

Room Tip: Visit Hawaii like it was your last trip to Paradise....
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
la
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

My impression of the Kona Seaside Hotel is a bit colored since I had spent 3 days at their sister Hilo property. At the hotel I a had room 4008 which had a sea view and in the main building. There are rooms that looked less inviting in a motel setting.
It was strange to me that the ice machine is only available from the morning until 6 pm or so... Why ? I don't understand that, and it is by the pool , not in the main building.
I was in Kona on business and one of the locals called the place a "dump".
Having said that, the hotel is in in town by the harbor and has a good view if your room is facing that way.
The rate I had through AAA at $105.00 with breakfast . is unbeatable in Kona. The major Hilton and Marriot resorts are 25 miles out of town and are at least twice as expensive.
Thr breakfast at Tante's restaurant was excellent. I had the short stack (2 pancakes) that came with a cheese and ham omlette and was more than enough. Dinner was OK for the price, but a not bad value compared to other places in Kona.
Bottom line, if you go into this place with the mind set of no extravagent expections (like a replacement for the Hilton Waikola Village) you should be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank peter b
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Booked a one night stay at this hotel. Wasn't expecting Four Seasons accomodations or service. Just looking for value for the money paid. Tried to check in at 7:00p.m. No one at the front desk for over 5 minutes. Was then stunned to find out that our room wasn't ready. Told us they were "refreshing it". I asked what that means and was told the room wasn't ready. Receptionist told us to wait in the lobby. Pulled out my $5.00 to pay for a parking pass as signs clearly warn your car will be towed, and was told that the parking lot was full and would have to park in the public lot blocks away. Seriously. Finally allowed to check in. Room was clean. Old style tv's, guys drinking beer outside. Baby crying next door. Get a call from front desk telling us that we wrongly booked a locals only rate. Told the lady I in fact booked a corporate rate and had the confirmation to prove it. After a minor argument, she said she would have to check on it. No call back. Next morning discover we need breakfast passes for the included breakfast and weren't given any by the front desk. Go to get them and another lady argues with me that the corporate rate doesn't inculde breakfast. I show her my confirmation that clearly states breakfast is included. She says it's wrong. I say it's not my fault. She says it's wrong. I say how is that my fault. She grumbles and gives me breakfast passes. Makes copy of my confirmation saying breakfast is included and says she needs to show the manager because it's wrong. Really??? Run from this place!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank 123DFW
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We needed a couple nights in Kona before we went onto our fancy resort. I did Priceline for this room, didn't pay much didn't get much! I was very confused it said online that there was free parking, free breakfast and free wifi. When I get there I find out...... Free parking is off to another lot. You have to pay if you want to park at the hotel, free breakfast was not included in my package. I never saw that it wasn't and the third thing was free wifi only from the lobby. No wifi in our room :( OH and also we had prepaid for two nights and after the first night they called and asked why we had not checked out yet and pretty much argued to my husband that we needed to be out already. Then they called back later when she found out she was wrong.
Good thing I didn't pay too much, the beds were old and very uncomfortable. Plus only one ice machine on the lower level. I must say it was CLEAN and the people at the desk were nice. So we had an okay time. It was a great location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
kimiwoodd, Director of Sales at Kona Seaside Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you for your review of our Kona Seaside Hotel., we value all feedback of our property.
Bed and breakfast is a rate plan that we offer, however the package that you purchased through Priceline did not include this amenity. The Priceline description does say that complimentary breakfast is included, and as a result of your review we have taken quick measures to change and improve our amenity descriptions. The fee for parking and Wi-Fi was correctly described in the Hotel Features.
I do sincerely apologize that a staff member was rude to your husband..this does not personify our usual Hawaiian style, one that is kind and courteous to all guests. Our Hawaiian family owned hotel strives to give our guests the best price value for Kailua-Kona. We do hope you will give us another try. Please email me when returning to Kona pkwoodd@seasidehotelshawaii.com
Berlin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is a little hard for me to rank. On one hand, the location, friendly staff, and amenities should designate a pretty high ranking. It is very near to shops and restaurants, as well as the Kona Brewing Company. There is a free parking lot nearby, which the staff will direct you to if you ask (you can avoid the $5 a day parking fee this way). Everyone was very friendly, the lobby has computers and free wifi, there are two pools which are never busy, and a laundry room for guests. Overall, I thought it was a good value.

On the other hand, I had requested a quiet room, but still had a room facing the street which I found very noisy. Granted, I am a light sleeper and luckily brought my earplugs. Also there was a lack of pillows. When I called down to the front desk before bed (our king only had 3 pillows on it) they didn't have any. The housekeeping were able to provide more the next day, but for a hotel of this standard I expected them to have things like pillows on hand. The next night I saw another couple at the front desk get turned down for pillows, so I think this is a systemic problem.

If the above issues don't irk you, I can recommend this place.

2 Thank Erste_Klasse_Frau