“Older and Not Luxurious, But Comfortable and Quiet” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kona Seaside Hotel

Kona Seaside Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
St. Louis, MO
“Older and Not Luxurious, But Comfortable and Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Kona Seaside Hotel for 3 nights while vacationing on the Big Island. It is close to the main airport and within walking distance of the beach, shopping, restaurants and Kona Brewing Company. We were in the main hotel building on the 4th floor. Our room was large with 2 double beds, a dresser, a desk and chair, a small balcony with 2 chairs, and a bathroom.

Let's begin by saying that these accommodations are older than what you will get with a Hilton or Marriott property. Our carpeting was a nice 1970's ocean blue shag; the beds were not meant to imitate boutique hotel comfort and the bathroom needed updating. But, this does NOT mean that the hotel isn't clean or well-kept. Quite the opposite. Our room was very clean, no signs of mildew in the bathroom despite the age, the entire property was well-maintained and our entire stay was very quiet, making for a good night's sleep. I have three complaints with the room: 1) The beds are uncomfortable. If you like a hard bed, then this is your place. I think Kona could do well to spend some money to update their beds and linens. 2) The towels are thin. Again, spend a little more to add a touch luxury. It's things like this that can make a spartan stay more special. 3) An iron was not provided in the room. To obtain one, you had to borrow it from the front desk during normal business hours. The front desk staff told us they had to start doing this because they had so many irons being stolen. I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal an iron and lug it around in their luggage, but I'm sure it happens.

I should mention that the hotel provides a shampoo/conditioner combo, lotion and soap. A hairdryer can be found in the dresser drawer of your room. Our room had a ceiling fan and a window a/c unit. The window unit paired with the fan provided adequate temperature control and the room cooled down quickly, even when we turned the a/c off because we would be gone all day. The a/c unit was a bit noisy, but both of us do OK with white noise.

We found the front desk staff to be very helpful and accommodating. No issues with rudeness or impoliteness as others have stated. Our modus operandi is to treat others with respect and be pleasant, even if you're not happy with something. You will typically receive respect and a pleasant attitude in return. The front desk staff always greeted us when we returned to the property and in the morning.

We purchased a breakfast plan which included free breakfast at Tante's every morning. This free breakfast is limited to coffee, tea or juice and your choice of 3 breakfast entrees, one continental and 2 that were heartier. I would have preferred more variety to choose from but, given the price we got for the room and the free breakfast, I wasn't going to complain because Kona Seaside was a bargain in Hawaii!

I did not know about the $5.00/night parking fee. I either missed that while perusing reviews and information or it is not clearly advertised. Again, you cannot beat $5.00/night but no one likes a surprise when it hits the pocketbook.

If you are planning to head to Volcanoes National Park and you do not want to do a lot of driving, you may want to stay in Hilo instead. Roundtrip was in the 4-5 hour range from Kona Seaside. When you've spent all day at the park, it can make for a very long and tiring drive home, probably in the rain and in the dark.

My husband and I agreed that we liked Kona Seaside and would certainly consider staying there again. You cannot beat the price and who cares if the room is decoratively challenged? As long as it's clean, comfortable (see my suggested improvements above) and quiet, who cares? You're on vacation not to spend time in the room but to get out and see the world!

3 Thank Chompypf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We flew into Kona on Delta Airlines a couple of weeks ago. There was a 6 hour delay due to a battery problem. We arrived late, I wasn't feeling very well and I didn't want to drive a few hours to our hotel. The car rental guy (Alamo) recommended Kona Seaside Hotel. He said it is where his family stays when they visit. We called and they had a room available. My first impression was that it was older and I worried a little about noise or bugs or..... you know. However, I was feeling terrible and just needed to shower and sleep. We arrived to the room, very neat, clean and quiet. Older hotel and very well managed. I slept great and woke up to a very nice view of a garden. We had breakfast at Tante's restuarant, and it was very good.

Kona Seaside was cheaper and nicer than the next place we went to and I wish I had booked it longer. My next vacation to the Big Island will include at least 2 nights here.

Room Tip: Very close to the beach. Great location.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dartmoor National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Five nights booked here in March 2012, by internet.
Our stay was in the main hotel, on the fifth and top floor. We had a southerly facing room. The hotel shows that it has over 200 rooms, of which, I would guess, around 100 are in the main five storey hotel, with the remainder in two and three storey buildings located on the same site. The hotel is located close to the ocean front and within easy reach of shops, restaurants etc. There were two swimming pools and gardens. The entire site was well maintained.
Comments obviously only cover our stay in the main hotel. It was a most relaxing stay and the reception staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was quiet (except for one night when the occupants of an adjoining room decided to hold a debate, at high volume, on world affairs on their balcony at 2am. Fortunately it only lasted for 40 minutes and the air conditioning unit noise cut out a fair bit (it seems better to a constant level of noise, rather than that the highs and lows of noisy conversation!). The bed was spacious and comfortable. The tv was modern with, I believe, a range of channels (didn't use it much). The decor was tasteful and well maintained. There was ample space, the furniture was in good condition and there was a small fridge. A ceiling fan and air conditioning (which had the habit of getting a bit noisy, perhaps because it was a little old, and which is the sole reason why the stay didn't get a full five starts) kept the room at a good temperature (the adjacent room had a newer air conditioning unit, so perhaps they are progressively being replaced).
The bathroom was fine with a good quality shower, good towels and shampoos etc. The room was well cleaned each day. The balcony looked south and came with a table and two chairs.
Wifi was available: with an excellent signal and adequate download speeds: but came at a price of around $9 per 24 hrs (which could be timed to cover 2 nights with a bit of thought). Free wifi was available in the lobby, for two hours (and there were apple two computers that could also be used freely - getting the wireless keyboard from reception).
Parking on site was achieved by purchasing a permit from reception at $5 per night: it was suggested that vehicles would be towed away if the permit was not displayed. On our five nights we had no problem finding a space and experienced no problems in finding one with sufficient width for parking (ie avoiding one of the larger vehicles that seem to occupy 120% of the space available per vehicle.
Our room came with vouchers for breakfast at Tantes (an adjacent restaurant within easy walking distance through the hotel grounds) to be taken between 7am and 12 am ( from memory). There was a choice of three breakfasts: one was a basic breakfast (that I have forgotten), one was pancakes with a small cheese omelette (very good); and the third was a superb cooked option of eggs plus bacon (or other choices), plus potato (or other choices) - all with coffee or orange juice. And served in a room overlooking the pacific (with cooling breezes through the open aired aspects of the room. Quite superb and a good start to the day. It was obvious that the breakfast option was not available to all guests (as some were paying).
Plenty of evening eating options at Kona. The roads running south towards Volcano appeared to get a bit congested, making progress slow: whilst the roads running north were fine with only light congestion close to Kona itself.Plenty of historical sites to view in both directions: and beaches with green Hawaiian turtles reasonably close by.
The Kona airport is only 15 minutes away from the hotel by road and returning the hired car was relatively smooth (picked up from Hilo).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Kingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We were at the airport without a place to stay late Feb 14th, we called a couple of the bigger resort hotels and some were closed at 7:00 pm and others were not friendly. We called Kona Seaside and we didn't even have to give our information over the phone we were told to just come on over we will have a room for you. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and we found a restaurant right next door. Another plus is it was directly across the street from Big Island Harley and we were to pick up our bike the next morning. Would stay here again if we get back to Kona.

Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This was a really nice place to stay! The room was very comfortable and spacious and the grounds are pretty and well taken care of. The staff are so nice especially that first day you've arrived after a long flight (sometimes you feel like you've taken stupid pills you're so tired). Breakfast was very good too. Service was a little slow, but they were very busy at the restaurant. All in all, I would definitely visit them again! Also, if their parking lot is full, there is a free public lot, about a half block away.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We read reviews on TripAdvisor and other sites, and of course, hesitant about our stay! Have to tell you, we were pleasantly surprised how clean our room was everyday and the staff at the Front Desk was very, very helpful! Our bag was lost by the airlines so we were very upset when we got to the hotel. The girls at the desk turned out to be the best customer service staff I've ever encountered. They called the airlines, and kept me informed every step of the way. Needless to say, I finally got my bag the next day...but the girls helped make that awful beginning into a very, pleasant stay. We arrived late in the evening so didn't expect that the desk staff help me find my luggage, thank you! The hotel was very busy, they went out of their way to help many other folks patiently answering their questions. There were some rude folks staying in the same hotel and although their problems were non-related to the hotel, sadly the front desk staff took most of the brunt and blame.Those folks should've just stayed home instead, as we had to hear their yelling and screaming over problems of their own doing.

Room Tip: Visit Hawaii like it was your last trip to Paradise....
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
la
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

My impression of the Kona Seaside Hotel is a bit colored since I had spent 3 days at their sister Hilo property. At the hotel I a had room 4008 which had a sea view and in the main building. There are rooms that looked less inviting in a motel setting.
It was strange to me that the ice machine is only available from the morning until 6 pm or so... Why ? I don't understand that, and it is by the pool , not in the main building.
I was in Kona on business and one of the locals called the place a "dump".
Having said that, the hotel is in in town by the harbor and has a good view if your room is facing that way.
The rate I had through AAA at $105.00 with breakfast . is unbeatable in Kona. The major Hilton and Marriot resorts are 25 miles out of town and are at least twice as expensive.
Thr breakfast at Tante's restaurant was excellent. I had the short stack (2 pancakes) that came with a cheese and ham omlette and was more than enough. Dinner was OK for the price, but a not bad value compared to other places in Kona.
Bottom line, if you go into this place with the mind set of no extravagent expections (like a replacement for the Hilton Waikola Village) you should be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank peter b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
0.2 km away
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,737 reviews

Been to Kona Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!