“Love their food approach. The meal fell short.”
Review of Foster's Kitchen

Foster's Kitchen
Ranked #20 of 300 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Description: Fresh from the land and sea around the big of Hawai'i, we offer locally sourced food for your enjoyment.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I love restaurants that utilize fresh and local food. I so wanted to love this restaurant. I will say that my husband loved his hamburger steak. However, my $36 fish of the day was described as a dense, white fish. I found it to be tough, over cooked, and lacking in flavor. In addition, the broccoli that came with it was mostly stalk, not florets. When asked if I wanted the uneaten fish to go, I politely told our server that it didn't meet my expectations and that I felt that she should know. I asked for nothing but they insisted on giving a few dollars off of the entree and a free dessert, which we didn't need. My regret, as someone who loves local food, especially when it's fish, is that I wasted a vacation meal eating a disappointing fish dish. The staff was polite. It might have been an off night or the chef's night off.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had appetizers and fun scratch cocktails at the restaurant last night. Had a chance to meet Chef Sheldon who has created a very interesting menu to include his background growing up in South Carolina and also honing his craft in the hot spots of Oakland, CA. He suggested the Mango Mac Nut Poke and I fell in love with this dish..I told the server she has to tell everyone to try it...it was THAT good! The cocktails are strong and tasty and the view is killer over Kailua Bay. If you like scratch food (they make their own mayonnaise!) give this restaurant a try on your next visit.

1  Thank Julie Z
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Friends in toen for a visit so we opted for fosters this evening. The location is perfect, right in the heart of kaikua-kona. Parking was easy in coconut grove with a short walk. The second floor location gives a great view of the ocean and the action down on the street. We were lucky to have a table at the ocean side.
Our appetizers were fantastic. Loved the mushrooms. We each got a different dish, shrkmp and grits, sea food special, and sezchuan ahi. All were delicious.
The drinks were good as well. 4 adults and a kid, 1 drink each, 2 appetizers came to $208. Not insane, but not cheap either.
Service was great, food good, so all told, a nice night out. We will be back.

2  Thank Colin Q
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stopped for a quick sandwich and bowl of soup. Great service, sunny location across from the bay. Right off the main street by the water, we were on the second floor.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Foster's kitchen has fresh and local food. We went there for dinner for 4 of us. One of us ordered the gumbo which was very delicious and not too spice, it was full of chicken, vegetables and shrimp. One ordered the fish & chips. The fish was a bit surprising as it was coated in cornmeal and not batter. The fries were pepper with cajun spice. The fish was a bit disappointing but still good and the cajun fries were tasty. The 3rd member of our party ordered cheese flat bread which was described as nothing special. I had the Ahi Tuna salad - it featured a very large portion of perfectly cooked Ahi and very fresh greens - very delicious.

The view to the ocean is lovely and the service is great.