The view - Hard to beat if you want oceanfront. Pictures are accurate and there is a reef point break (Kona Reef), literally right in front of unit. If you surf, the reef goes out about 50 yards from the beach and peels left and right. Nice to watch boogie and surfing right from the lanai. Seems like it's the spot to surf south of town.
The Unit. Actually, I thought the place looked nicer than pictures online. Some of the furniture could use a little updating, but the place is very clean, and supplied with EVERYTHING you would want.
1. Snorkel gear. Some usable stuff, but if you are going to do serious snorkeling, rent of buy (Costco has a ton of US Diver sets for $44.95 as of June 2018)
2. Beach stuff. Beach chairs, 3 boogie boards (2 in good shape). Assorted sandals people must have left, four nice beach towels, a beach umbrella, beach bag to carry towels etc.
3. Lanai, table, 4 chairs. Again, excellent view.
4. Living room. Couch (I think convertible), table with 4 (ridiculously heavy) chairs, TV, DVD player, Cable box, coffee table. Wall mounted AC unit. Nice ceiling fan you control with remote control.
5. Storage closet - 2 coolers (soft and rigid) really handy for picnics, extra toilet paper, leftover sunblock presumably from other guests (we donated our aerosol spray), paper towels etc. etc. Seriously, but best stocked unit we have stayed at BY FAR. Don't need to worry about bringing anything extra. Ziplock bags, trash bags. \
6 Kitchen - decent kitchen with TONS of pots, pans, storage containers, a few spices (try to Hawaiian salt on steaks! Delish). A Brita filter water pitcher in the refrig (with extra filters in the storage closet). Blue ice type reusable freezer packs in the freezer that worked awesome in the coolers, plenty of basic spices, foil, plastic wrap, plastic ware etc. etc. Again, seriously well stocked unit.
7. Bath. Basic bath, but not a ton of counter space - actually very little counter space, but not a big deal for me. Oh, hair dryer available.
8. Bedroom. Basic room, ceiling fan, no AC but you can use available standing fan and extension cord (again from storage closet) to force air from living room (where AC is) to bedroom. Bed is comfortable and felt like a foam mattress. Good. Crank louver windows high on wall so good privacy, but this also means you can hear people in hallway if someone walks by to other unit (but not a big deal since unit is second from last and only one possible neighbor).
9. Condo unit. Very quiet and mellow group. No loud partying while we were there. pool area and BBQ closes at 10:00 PM and patrol will politely let you know if you stay too late. Pool, jacuzzi, BBQ all maintained very well. Oh, underground parking was awesome. Never had to park about ground and so car stayed cool.
It says that Bruce is refurbishing unit in August and September of 2018. There are definitely items that need it (thinking of the living room curtains), but hopefully the prices will remain reasonable.
So overall, five stars. Bruce was very quick to respond when we had issues with WIFI, but we were able to resolve quickly. It's not like a 5 star hotel, but the view, the value, proximity to town make it a definite "rebook if possible" unit for us. And the fact that the unit was stocked with practically everything you could possible want makes this a 5 star for me.
Oh, finally the two places I would go back to eat are:
1. Frenchman's cafe - Best food we ate on Big Island.
2. The coffee shack - unreal view and decent food.
3. OK. three places - Mrs Barry's cookies (near Costco). The coconut shortbread and the Kona chocolate chip cookies are amazing!
Just returned from a heavenly visit to the Big Island. The location of Kona Reef was perfect-easy walk to lots of restaurants & shops and seemingly about as centralized you can be to enjoy many of the areas on the island. B and K's - Unit A26 - was exactly what we expected and more. We appreciated having snorkel gear, beach chairs, beach towels and a cooler for our ventures out. Comfy bed, the kitchen had everything we needed for meals we chose to cook and the view was nothing short of amazing. We even had a turtle come visit the shore right in front of us! We didn't use the pool but did uae the grill in the pool area without any issues. Never had an issue with finding a place to park and the location of the unit in relation to all of the parking areas couldn't have been better. We appreciated all of the small touches the owners thought of-binoculars, information and suggestions for things to see and do, plastic dishes for the grill area (breakables not allowed), even water shoes. If we ever return to the Big Island, we will schedule our trip based upon the availability of this unit.
Location.. surf, sunsets, turtles and more viewed right from your lanai ... town is a 5 minute walk for restaurants, shops, and activities galore. Easy parking .. Bruce provided great instructions about how to find and enter the unit. Quiet (except for the sounds of the surf) friendly and courteous people, great pool and hot tub.
There were even supplies for our stay.. condiments in the cupboards, plastic bags, cookware so you can stay in and just enjoy the fantastic views and chairs, towels, snorkels for the beach! Can't say enough.. our two week stay went way too fast.. we will return:) Thanks
The condo is in an excellent location on the island. Everything you would want or need is close by. The condo is in good shape and has an amazing view. If you surf there is a surf break right outside your door. I would recommend going to the supermarket that is close by and stock up. Food on the island is expensive. There is a full size fridge and stocked kitchen so that is the way to go. Enjoy! May the weather be with you.
This condo is perfectly located so close to the ocean and walking distance to Kailua town shops and restaurants. We were very happy with this unit and how well it was equipped. Whether you want to cook a meal or head to the beach, you will find everything you need. It was very handy to have a washer/dryer in the unit. Sitting on the lanai and watching the action on the water was very relaxing and addictive. Parking is covered and convenient. The pool and barbecue area is beautiful. We found the directions and instructions to be complete and easy to follow. We stayed here for 8 days and it went by much too fast!
we enjoyed having breakfast on the porch watching the ocean! cooking on the grill by the pool and enjoying a sunset view from the living room and kitchen. convenient to use washer dryer and borrow the beach umbrella and beach chairs! convenient location from north and south beautiful beaches.
This was our first stop on our 3rd trip to the Big Island of Hawaii. The location was great, near town, shops and beaches. The condominium filled all the boxes in the fact it had everything we needed for our stay. We loved the view from our lanai seeing sea turtles and dolphins every morning!