“Sheraton Kona - relaxing property, poor restaurants”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Sheraton Kona has a great location and a relaxed atmosphere. The tarrif includes Wifi and free parking, and they arent stingy/obsessive with pool towels. Front office (reception, concierge) were excellent. The manta ray watching in the evening is awesome. However the main restaurant is a major letdown - again, location is perfect but we waited for 45 minutes after seating before we were offered even drinks and the menu is basically pizzas and burgers for dinner. Staff at buffet breakfast were similarly disinterested in their jobs and it was uninspiring. On the upside, the staff around the pool bar were terrific and the lunch was good. We stayed in a suite, which was spacious, clean and had excellent views along the coast - it was very nice. All in all, a good experience which could have been great but for the dining options which are the worst I have ever seen at a Starwood property (and i stay at Starwood often enough). Hamish.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank zxcbv
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Aloha and thank you for sharing your experience at Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed our relaxing atmosphere and location as well as the manta ray viewing while staying with us. It is, however, regrettable that your dining experience did not live up to your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the extended wait you encountered prior to ordering your meal and hope that it did not greatly impact your overall impressions. The next time you are visiting the Big Island, we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

Tagline: You will like it if you recently popped out a number of babies, infants, toddlers, or Tweens. But be prepared to be aggravated by all the add on charges; the place is like a budget airline.

Highlight: The 200 ft waterside my wife whipped down but I got stuck in midway down and dragged myself the rest of the way.

Short story: Ginormous resort with pretty basic rooms, no real beach or ocean entrance, but tons and tons of child friendly amenities including water slides, pool tables, multiple pools, and lots of other diversions. Needs better balance and some room renovations.

Rooms: Meets the Sheraton standards except for the bathroom, which is stark white concrete, small, and has terrible water pressure. Bed was comfy, LCD TV although it looked more than 5 years old (I believe a Nintendo 64 joystick was attached to it), nice balcony with a view of the ocean. Got one free upgrade as a Starwood gold member as well as a removal of the $25 mandatory resort free, but honestly that was ludicrous and I would have been pissed if I actually had to pay it. You get nothing for it except Internet, which at this point is such a relic to still charge for.

Amenities: Three big pools, one with a big waterside and a man made sand area for the kids. Fun but loud and with crying / running / yelling children surrounding you on all sides, I felt like I was in Gymboree. You have to sign out towels and they charge $25 bucks if you don’t return them the same day. They have cabanas but those will set you back $50 a day. Annoying. Also the place is on a huge cliff with no beach so don’t expect ocean time. On the upside they do have a nice gym with free weights, machines, and cardio equipment, as well as pool tables, ping ping tables, tennis courts, a basketball court, and a sand volleyball court. There is also a restaurant where you can sometimes see manta rays swim by, but most of the mantas are actually much further north near the airport; they have migrated away from the Sheraton in the last few years.

Location: 30 minutes south of the airport, need a rental car and its far from the manta ray diving / snorkeling and the cute part of town. Not great.

Service: It’s a Sheraton : we had basic expectations which they met. It was our honeymoon and they did give us a free bottle of cheap champagne which was a nice gesture. Otherwise we had little interaction with the staff besides the people trying to sell me some little thing like a towel or cabana.

Bottom line: I’d go elsewhere if I didn’t get the room for free with Starwood points.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ljtobey

Congratulations on your recent nuptials. We're honored to have been your choice of locations to spend your honeymoon at; however we are truly disappointed that your stay was not as you had anticipated. We value all feedback and we appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with the details of your stay. While the resort charge you mentioned does cover internet service in our guest rooms, it also includes many other amenities to enhance your experience such as self parking, use of Keauhou Resort Trolley,cultural tours and more. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We booked an Ocean Front room, and the room we were allocated actually fronted the swimming pool (although it was categorised as 'Ocean Front'). We asked for and we given a new room. This was done without any fuss and a smile and we were happy with the outcome.

The rooms (at least the one we had) are very good. They are large, the bed is comfy and the shower is fine. We had a lanai overlooking the ocean (and the pool) and the view was truly lovely, particularly at sunset, and early in the morning when dozens of dolphins frolicked close to shore.

The grounds are very well maintained. The pool is great, if a little shallow. There were heaps of families, many with kiddies. Noise wasn't an issue.

There's a booking office for Hawaiian adventures (which we used), and a Hertz office (which we didn't).

On the down side, the hotel is a long way from anywhere. There is no beach, or anywhere that the ocean is really accessible should one wish to flop about in the briney. There is a shuttle bus that leaves every two hours (from memory) to Kona, with stops along the way at beaches and other resorts. The tours we went on both picked us up at the resort.

The food needs significant improvement. It was expensive. We expected this; it's a resort and most stuff is imported. But we do expect the food to be tasty and well presented, and it wasn't. This wasn't just our opinion either.

In summary, the Sheraton Kona provides very good accommodation. However it is not near to anything, and has no beach. The shuttle to Kona is infrequent. The food is just bland. If we return to Hawaii (and it is a wondrous place), we would stay somewhere more central, and with ocean access.

Room Tip: Ocean Front. Upper floors
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Serene_Traveller
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Mahalo for providing such a detailed account of your visit to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay! We are so glad to learn that your accommodation requests were easily resolved and the picture you have painted of the view from your room is just perfect with visions of sunset and frolicking dolphins. Thank you for mentioning our complimentary Keauhou Resort Trolley that provides guests an easy way to explore the local area including some of the most beautiful beaches on The Big Island. The next time you are visiting Kona we hope that you will allow us to welcome you back for another great stay.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

In general, we enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton, early check-in after a short flight from Maui to Kona. Liked being outside of town as it was quieter and seemed more relaxing. The room was clean & comfortable after a fresh remodel designed by Big Island artist & designer Sig Zane. We noticed some elements that appeared to be Feng Shui inspired as well.

On the downside: the "high speed wireless internet" simply did not work at all and there was no hard wire option in the room. They said they were working on it but for the 3 days we were there, it didn't happen. Ask for another room if you get one adjacent to the elevator...they are noisy. We were on the far end of building 4 and that elevator was not heavily used at night but you could tell when it was going in the room during the daytime & early evening.

Room Tip: avoid the elevator shafts.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Aloha! We're so glad you enjoyed your long weekend stay at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. Thank you for sharing your appreciation for our recently completed renovations which extend to all areas of our property including guest rooms, the main guest lobby, meeting spaces, dining areas and the fitness center with new art and amenities throughout the resort as well. Additionally, we are in the process of installing fiber-optic cable service with high speed Internet access in the guest rooms by early October so we regret if the timing of your visit prevented you from taking advantage of this new feature. We hope that you can return for another visit and experience all the amazing upgrades and changes that have taken place at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. Mahalo.

Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this resort recently. I found a great deal through bookit.com and bought it as a package with airfare and car rental included. A few weeks prior to our arrival, I made sure to call and request for joined rooms next to my parents. The staff let me know they would try and I said ok, when we arrived we were greeted with gorgeous leis and I was happy that my request had been honored. Having connecting rooms made it so much easier with my parents helping with my two boys ages 3 and 6. The pool area was in my opinion the beat amenity of this hotel. My 6 year old and 9 year old niece did not want to get out of there because of the giant slide. My 3 year old especially loved the sand pool. We had a lounge day by the pool and ordered some drinks at the poolside bar, I had their version of a blue Hawaiian, a Pina colada and a Mai tai. All of them were great, I was a little irritated about having to go back to my room to get my identification before I could place my order. I do understand they were doing their job so I got over it and just enjoyed the sun and ocean view. We ate dinner at the Manta Ray restaurant which had ok service. I left a comment card with feedback on how they could improve. At night we returned for the manta ray viewing which was pretty cool. They had live music playing at the restaurant by the bar. The overall atmosphere was very nice. My only dislike was how far we were to the parking lot. With little kids it felt like a journey and they were tired by the time we reached our rental car. Im sure we had the cheap rooms in the back due to my travel deal package. The beach was a short 5/6 minute drive away. We enjoyed snorkeling at the frat beach park and the next day visited magic sands beach. For breakfast we would eat at the cafe by the pool downstairs. I tried their rice, egg and sausage plate for $9 and their croissant bacon sandwiches for $6. I decided I liked the breakfast sandwiches best. We ordered those and coffee every morning. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and so did the rest of my family. Not having beach access was not as bad as I thought since the beach was so close.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank LeslieIvonne
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Aloha! We are so happy that we were able to honor your request for adjoining rooms during your recent stay with us. It sounds as though the children had a lot of fun at our Manta Ray Super Slide and Pool. Guests of any age can find just the right activity with our connecting river system, whirlpools, 200-foot-long lava tube waterslide and 900-square-foot sandy-bottomed children's pool area. We greatly appreciate that you provided us with some suggestions on the comment card you left; we are always eager to find ways to provide the best experience to our guests. We hope that you can all return soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Mahalo!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, the beds were comfortable and rooms quiet. Although clean they have not been renovated for some time. Watch out for the shower, it's either cold or scolding hot, you have to spend time playing with the controls to make it usable..
Pool was good and hot tubs worked. Food was expensive and unsurrprising but nothing majorly different from any other hotel of this calibra. They can't make a MaiTai to save their life.
They have self use laundry facilities, basic but working which saves you money.
Staff are friendly and helpful
In general it is an ok hotel, it could do with more eating choices at the hotel, as its 8 miles from Kailua where there is choice but you have to drive to it and the local shopping center up the road doesn't offer anything passable for dining.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Mahalo for your review of your three-night stay at Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa. We're glad you enjoyed our clean and comfortable accommodations as well as many of the amenities we offer while staying with us. It is, however, regrettable that you experienced any difficulty with the shower. Please know that someone here is always available should any concerns arise and we truly regret not having the opportunity to help. The next time you are visiting the Big Island, we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I don't think our room looked dated, it was our oasis! So many details the Sheraton does to make things extra special (except for the big gripe: the daily resort charge). We got an upgrade for our honeymoon. The pool was a blast for these overgrown kids and the ground beautiful. We went to Rays twice, but skipped the dining and went straight to the bar for drinks and good bar food and watching the Manta Rays. The only flaw was the breakfast at their restaurant was poor, over priced for not very stellar good. Skip it and go to Lava Java in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room... the ones in the back are wonderful. We didn't care so much about a view...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crestlinecolorado

Congratulations on your recent nuptials, we couldn't be happier to know that you chose to stay with us for your celebratory trip. Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa is known for many things including its breathtaking views and manta viewing area but a visit can never be considered complete without enjoying some fun in our pool with the Big Island’s longest waterslide! We hope that you will return again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Mahalo!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
9.7 km away
41.7 km away
Hilton Waikoloa Village
45.1 km away
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!