3,068 results
All reviews rays on the bay manta ray bay restaurant keauhou bay the big island self parking a mountain view room free trolley ocean front breakfast buffet great pool poolside bar pool staff pool side oceanfront room bit dated beautiful grounds
Reviewed January 17, 2017

I booked this hotel because it was rated decently but the service was poor to what the Sheraton flag normally provides. The hotel is in a great location with the view and waves being phenomenal. The property itself is dated and far from modern.

The check in was particularly poor since it took a long time. The booking was done incorrectly so one of us had to sleep on a caught, they did however upgrade the room type to a better view. Unfortunately check in took over 20 minutes to do this, when normally its done in minutes. The attitude of the staff wasn't great since I believe they may have been over whelmed with unhappy guests. There were a couple of others I saw whose bookings were also done incorrectly (this could be a Sheraton bookings issue and not this hotels fault).

Be aware that all of the restaurants and bars on the resort close at 10:30 pm. I ordered a meal from one of the restaurants and told them about my allergies but I don't think they paid too much attention since I still had a bad reaction afterward. We were still charged for the bill. I was in a hurry to get back to the room and take a reactine so there was no time to bother arguing over that.

Over all I probably wouldn't stay at this property again when I return in August. I'll likely try another property.

Room Tip: Ask for the view where the water is hitting the rocks
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Khela_H
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2017

Aloha and Greetings!

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We strive to providing excellent customer service and providing guests with memorable stays, unfortunately we missed the mark. Please know your feedback will be shared with our team. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Sheraton Kona.

Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

You don't always get what you pay for...

With all the nice resorts on the island, I'm surprised Sheraton hasn't done more to upkeep the property. Carpets in the room were stained and dingy. The chair had gum dried on. Shower was dingy at best with visibly stained grout. Water pressure was OK but toilet didn't really flush unless you really wiggled the handle. Basically it looks like the room has been well used since the late 80s and never remodeled. Pool staff was friendly but no one was going out of their way to help you. We wandered around for 30 min with luggage trying to find our room and an elevator passing several staff members, none of whom offered to help. Food and drinks were pricy but nothing you wouldn't expect. The little touches like plastic forks instead of metal and no servers at the pool really set this place below similar resorts. The coffee bar was closed for no particular reason other then maybe it was a slow week at the resort so they didn't think it was worth opening all the advertised amenities.

1  Thank Jay V

Aloha Jay V,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback and for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Kona! Your response will be shared with our team as we move forward with improvements to the resort. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort.

Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

Positives: The hotel grounds are immaculate. The sunset is beautiful. The rooms are spacious. The outdoor spaces are stunning.

Negatives: The hotel staff is either overworked or doesn't care. I've stayed at a Motel 6 that had better service. From the greeting to any request I had, the answers and attitude from the staff is on par with a McDonalds. This is a 4 star hotel and DOES NOT have room service. I'm a platinum elite member of SPG and stay at many Sheratons. Some are decent some are fantastic, but this property is such a shame. It could be SO much more with better, caring, attentive staff. The rooms are older too. I can't imagine how the Sheraton brand can hold onto this hotel. This is a Ramada Inn at best. The potential for this place is huge.
Advice to GM- step it up, you have a phenomenal property and a little more charm with your staff could make this hotel great. And with regards to room service, fix that immediately. If I want to order soup in my room, figure it the hell out. C'mon now.

Aloha,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Kona. We value your feedback and will share your issues with our team, so we can improve the overall guest experience.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again here at the Sheraton Kona!

Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

This Sheraton is in desperate need of a remodel! The elevator was a little scary - slow and shaky. The hallways just looked run down. The bathroom was clean but very old. We also booked a couples package at the spa. It was just an odd experience. I felt rushed. They were behind schedule and shaved at least 5 minutes off the hot tub and the massages. Not the service I expected for a $300+ package. I did like the open air feel of the resort overall but a complete remodel is way overdue!

Management response:Responded January 18, 2017

Aloha Jamie W,
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We strive to exceed each of our guests expecations and clearly we missed the mark. Please note we have shared your feedback with Ho'ola Spa as well as our leadership team to ensure this was an insolated incident. Mahalo for staying with us and hopefully we will be able to host you in the near future.

A hoi hou,

Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful grounds and resort location. We stayed on the 5th level and enjoyed our view of the mountains, grounds, and a bit of ocean. Very quiet, and slept with our patio door open most nights. A/C was a bit noisy but it worked. Bathroom tub/shower area is a bit worn down but everything was clean and worked. Housekeeping were very friendly, felt front desk wasn't as knowledgeable. Concierge MarLea was very helpful and super nice. We spent most of our days touring the island. Did not eat here, but did use the beautiful pool area.

Enjoyed the quietness of this resort. Would stay again. Luau is tonight so hoping it's a great end to our trip!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends