“Best tacos in Kona” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout
“Best tacos in Kona”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

My spouse and I both had the taco platter - 3 tacos (had chicken and carnitas) with rice and beans. It was so good we went back twice more. Tacos were tasty and tortillas were handmade. I dont even like refried beans normally, but they were delicious. The best part - hands down - is the green tomatillo salsa. Ask for it if its not out. Casual outdoor area out back for eating.

• Visited December 2013

Irvine, California
“kind of surprising”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Like previous posters i am from so california and was a little apprehensive about getting Mexican Food in Hawaii. I was pleasantly surprised. I had the chicken nachos. Price was good and food was very good. I also had a quesadilla. After a few days in Kona i was tired of sushi so this was a nice break. I would go back for sure.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Coming from San Diego, we were surprised to find good Mexican food here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We had the albondigas soup, chile verde and Quesadilla. They were all very good. Our kids loved Pancho, the parrot.

• Visited August 2013
Tucson
“Good Mexican Food. Worth Finding.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

This restaurant seemed to get good reviews when I was looking for Mexican Food in Kona. Having lived from Texas to LA, but mostly in AZ/NM, I have sampled a LOT of Mexican Food. It's all different, so I don't try to compare restaurants. What I am looking for is:

Is it tasty? Yes, Taco's El Unico is very tasty.

Is it overpriced? No. It was priced just right for what you got.

Would I go there again? Absolutely.

I'm not sure I got the freshly made tortillas that the other reviews talked about, but they were good. I almost always order cheese enchiladas on my first visit, because from that you can tell the quality and quantity of their ingredients and how tasty their chile sauce is. They were very good.

Everything is take-out. I took my home but there was a garden in the back with tables. However, since it was away from the breezes, I don't know if I would have enjoyed eating there.

Visited June 2013
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“The best breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Yeah, it's hard to find but sometimes that's a good thing. No crowds constantly walking by. Love the outdoor seating. We go for breakfasts all the time. The best machaca and chorizzo since Mexico. And hand made tortillas to boot! Parking can be tricky. We often park down the street for the free parking and walk down.

• Visited March 2013