“great friendly local experience”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
King bed with comfy pillow-top mattress
Entrance to kitchen
Kitchen-fully equipped with appliances
Kitchen - Tropical fruit provided for breakfast
Seating area opens to lanai via 2 sliding glass doors
Sliding glass doors open to lanai from dining area
Dine al fresco at glass top table among the palms
Large bathroom includes slate shower and closet
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
asteen59
Sacramento, California, United States
“Caryl's Ohana needs help!”
Reviewed September 20, 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

We were so looking forward to our stay here,judging by the pictures and reviews a wonderful place to stay!
Let's go with the pros first: close to airport,away from traffic and crowds.( however several neighborhood dogs barking constantly shattered the silence!)
Now the cons: the garden is overgrown and unkept,entrance to Ohana is dirty with stacked boxes,supplies,piled up recycle stuff,garbage cans in plain view, washing hanging on a " string" wash line at the front of the house!
This Ohana is poorly designed and cheaply constructed.
The noisy refrigerator is 6 feet from head of the bed ,so wear earplugs if you plan on getting some sleep.Although the kitchen is well stocked,everything is well used and needs to be replaced.We could not even use the pans,they were rusted and moldy!
The cabinets were dirty,and I found 2 dead cockroachs!
The other big problem is the lack of storage space,there is hanging space in the bathroom but this leaves clothing damp after someone has showered.
Beach equipment is available,however these have also been neglected and 2 of the 3 beach umbrellas are broken!
At a cost of $140/night ( including taxes and fees) this Ohana is overpriced, and really should not be rented in it's current state!!
The current state of this Ohana MAY be partially due to the owner's absence the past 8 months.
The house sitter, David, was very friendly and helpful,however we got the impression that he was expected to be both landscaper and housekeeper. Tough to do when he's working 2 jobs of his own!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Carport for small car
Liked least: Noisy refrigerator
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
23 Sep 2014
Dear Anita,

Thank you for writing the FlipKey review. It pained us deeply that your stay was marred by the condition of the ohana. Because of our need to care for our mothers on the mainland, my husband and I have been off island recently, and were not able to personally oversee our ohana.

The ohana is now receiving TLC and thorough attention, because of your alerting us to its needs. We are working with both our onsite caretaker and our cleaning person to address concerns of organization and cleanliness of the ohana and surrounding area, to replace all outdated kitchen and beach equipment, and to better attend to the landscaping. And for the future, we will ask our guests to share all concerns as soon as they arise, so that they can be resolved in a timely manner.

Again, thank you for your review, and we deeply apologize for your inconveniences.

Aloha,
Caryl Burns
los angeles
Reviewed December 6, 2013 for a stay in November 2013

Big Island
Reviewed August 29, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Hood River
Reviewed August 26, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Patricia...
Flagey-Echezeaux, France
“From a Seasoned Traveler: One of the Top Three Hosts on the Big Island!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

I stayed with Caryl for almost a month, originally I had plans to split my vacation by staying in two different ohanas in different parts of Kona, but I found that I really liked the calming interior of the suite at Caryl's so I ended up staying with her for the majority of my time here in Kona. The location was superb: It is only one block away from Kona airport, I don't have to drive far after getting off an airplane to get to Caryl's place. It is also close to downtown Kona, I can have my "city convenience" from gas, groceries, restaurants, bakery for breakfasts, ATM machines, post office, pedicure salon, same-day massage service, the Apple store all within ten minutes of driving. I like having the convenience near by and still have a tranquil space to drive back to at the end of the day. Caryl's Ohana offers both convenience and relaxation and it works very well for a city person who has city needs but also wants a bit of an escape from the city life. Caryl is one of the best hosts I have met on the Big Island, I have lived in Hilo (the other side of the Big Island) and I've met enough hosts on both side of the Island to know that she is definitely one of the top three hosts to stay with: she is detail-oriented and that for me gives me peace of mind as a seasoned traveler.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
David E
Richmond, California
“Lovely stay on the Big Island at Caryl's Ohana”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

We loved our stay at Caryl's Ohana in the hills above Kailua-Kona. Great location just 10 minutes from the airport (no airplane noise at all), and close to town, shopping, etc. Also close to the charming village of Holualoa. Caryl was very friendly, provided delicious fresh local fruit, and provided lots of helpful information. We had a wonderful hike into the Pololu Valley and visit to Hawi because of her suggestion. Caryl's Ohana is a great value for what you get, including fully furnished kitchen with fridge, nice modern bathroom, and access to washer and dryer. We loved our one-week stay and Caryl helped us see and do everything we wanted to on the Big Island. Highly recommended.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
CA
Reviewed July 12, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Check-in / front desk
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing