“Fantastic pizza and delicious beer flavors”

Kona Brewing Company Pub & Brewery
Ranked #10 of 298 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The 2,000-square-foot outdoor lanai, surrounded by lush tropical vegetation and tiki torches, offers seating for 175 patrons. Customers also can enjoy a cool meal or beverage inside the air-conditioned bar area at one of several surrounding tables or at the koa U-shaped bar itself. Inside the bar area is the retail store, stocked with colorful T-shirts, hats, towels, coasters, mugs and much more.
Reviewed 13 April 2017

We went to Kona Brewing Company Pub following the ratings here on Tripadvisor. They have plenty of tables outside and I can highly recommend sitting outside over an inside table. The inside of the pub feels a little bit crammed and the area around the bar can be very busy in the evenings.
On the menu you can find many food items you will not find in other restaurants. They offer plenty of vegetarian options and if you are really sensitive to gluten you will also find a few options.
As an appetizer we had their Garlic Cheese Bread which was fantastic and tried some of their hand-tossed Pizzas as a main dish. The pizzas had a good amount of the ordered toppings on them while keeping a nice crispy edge. If you are not into Pizza they also offer about 10 different sandwiches, several salad options, a couple of full fledged entrées as well as deserts.
Now about the brewery part: They offer about 14 different beer flavors from their own brewery. The menu explains not only the colour but also the taste of them using a short description and two indicators called IBU and % ABV. While one describes the strength (alcohol content) the other indicates how bitter or sweet the beer will taste like. If you would love to try as many flavors as possible without getting drunk you can order their sampler - which we found to be a great idea! I loved the Pipeline Porter which gets brewed with Kona Coffee.
On our first visit service was outstanding. We were overwhelmed with the selection and our waiter patiently explained everything and kept coming back to see if we needed further help without pushing us. Unfortunately the second time around was not such a great experience. We were sitting inside and they seemed to be overwhelmed - maybe they were short-staffed that evening. Service that night was not very attentive and very slow.
To sum it up - even though we were not happy with the service the 2nd time, it was a great experience. Great food and outstanding beer.
Should you be on Oahu as well - they have a location there as well as I found out later on their website. Aloha!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,088)

Reviewed 13 April 2017

This was a short guided tour of the brewery. The tour is short and the premises are quite small. Tasting at the end was the high lite and the lunch (not included) that followed. I would definitely plan the tour around lunch - it was great and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

For some reason, we missed the Kona Brewery the last few times in Kailua-Kona, but not this time! We walked in and took seats at a table, only to be told we needed to check in with the hostess, which we did. We had to wait about 10 minutes for a couple groups in front of us. While waiting, the hostess told me that beers were only $3.95 if I wore a Kona shirt or hat, so since I left my Kona Big Wave shirt at home, I bought a Hanalei IPA shirt. We split a medium pepperoni pizza which was pretty good and just the right size, and I had 3 of their brews: my go-to Big Wave, Duke's Blonde Ale, and the aforementioned Hanalei IPA.

We also signed up for a Thursday afternoon tour at 3pm ($5 each), which included a tasting of 4 of their brews. All were very good! Nice tour, great beer and decent food..

Reviewed 11 April 2017

A wide variety of craft beers and great creative sandwiches and pizzas. We sat at the bar (it was busy), and the bartenders were friendly and patiently explained the different brews and offered samples until we found what we wanted. Although busy, it was not unpleasantly loud, everyone was friendly, and service was prompt. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I get their pizza every time I visit. It's delicious! They also have burgers, sandwiches and their famous name sake beer. It's a nice outside dining experience!