“The view is awesome, food very good” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beach Tree Bar & Grill

Beach Tree Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Beach Tree Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 283 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Renowned for its signature style of "barefoot elegance," the transformed Beach Tree has a Hawaiian beach house feel marked by 16-foot (5-metre) vaulted ceilings and expansive water views. Trellised seating allows for al fresco dining, and outdoor lounge spaces set the stage for the perfect beachfront cocktail. Chef de Cuisine Nick Mastrascusa – formerly of 57 restaurant at Four Seasons Hotel New York – oversees a menu featuring California cuisine with Italian influences.All wines on the wine list are offered by the glass, half carafe and full bottle. Cocktails feature tropical ingredients, fresh fruit and original combinations, and include the Beach Tree Smash, which mixes pear and lime, and Tom's Pink Shirt, which combines guava liqueur, fresh Waimea strawberries and house-made sweet and sour made from agave nectar and fresh lime juice.
Waimea, Hawaii
“The view is awesome, food very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We visited this beach side restaurant, got there early to get a good seat in comfey chairs overlooking the beach. We saw whales beaching and slapping while we drank fine wine and great cocktails. We shared the caesar salad and a pancetta and arugula pizza. It's pricey to say the least but great service from Larry... or something similar like that. We can't wait to get the funds to return.

• Visited January 2012

• Korean first
Burlingame, California
“Highlight of our visit to the Kona Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We arrived at the Beach Tree just at sunset and had tropical drinks in the lounge area as we watched the colors change over the ocean. A bit later, we moved into the restaurant area for our dinner with a great view of the musicians and hula dancer. The food and service were fabulous. We had lovely salads, gnocchi with ox tail ragout and a fish special, but the chocolate rip curl for dessert is not to be missed. (There is a photo of it at the top of the TripAdvisor page as of today.) We found that the combination of wonderful, locally sourced food and the Hawaiian music and dance made for a perfect evening in Kona.

Visited December 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Barefoot Elegance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We had a memorable experience here on our final night on the Big Island. We arrived with our two boys (ages 3 and 6) for a 5:30 PM reservation (perfect timing for sunset that bathed the outdoor dining space in orange, pink, and red colors). Live music from a three person ensemble and dancer entertained us as we enjoyed our fresh seafood meal comprised of mahi mahi, ahi tuna, scallops, etc. .... all very good. The chocolate bon bon desert served in a container atop dry ice for dramatic effect was a big hit with the boys who were then revved up to join the multitude of other kids running around the manicured lawn (as my wife and I finished off our delicious mai tais). While I enjoyed my Kona coffee my wife had me taste the Big Island honey that accompanied her tea. Our waitress Leia, who was a delight throughout the meal, was kind enough to bring us a six jar set of the honey (perfectly sized for our flight back). After dining, we joined the other families for a screening of Disney's Cars 2 under the stars in an amphitheater formed out of volcanic rocks. We were provided grass mats that we stretched out on the terraced lawns. At the end of our night, we asked our boys whether they thought the dining experience good; their response "no, it was amazing." I am in complete agreement.

• Visited November 2011
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

My husband and I loved the Beach Tree, it had a decent varied menu (seafood, pasta, burgers, salads, meats). I got their cappellini pasta one night and it was one of the best pasta dishes I've had. Another night I had the local catch which was similar to a red snapper, absolutely delicious. We particularly enjoyed the setting on the Four Seasons, and most nights they had a band that played out on the lawn. This restaurant was one of the highlights for me on our honeymoon trip and I'll truly miss the dining experience! Hoping to go back soon.

Visited November 2011
Bremerton
“Okay, Not Spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

We were guests of the Four Seasons for ten nights.
Dinner at Beach Tree one evening, we ordered grilled mahi mahi off the children’s menu for our son. It was so heavily (black) peppered my son could not eat it – I doubt any child could. Even I felt that a perfectly good serving of fish had been ruined.
My wife is from Thailand so I can more than tolerate spicy food – this otherwise fine serving of fish was simply overpowered for even an adult’s palate.
I encouraged our server to taste the fish and judge if it was appropriate for a child.
No problem - we requested an unseasoned version.
The second attempt lacked the pepper but was notably undercooked and pink inside, not appropriate for a three-year-old so we requested more cooking time.
The third time was finally a success.
Not really a big deal, but it should not have happened to begin with.

Another evening we had reservations for 7 pm – made because we would have our hungry son with us. We arrived at 7 pm, behind another couple with reservations at 7 pm as well. They were seated immediately. We were asked to wait. Okay. We were asked if we would like something to drink, I said no thanks and explained that as there was no place to sit (restaurant or lounge area) that did not make much sense. We left for a few minutes and returned. We were seated about 7:15. Borderline I suppose, we were still annoyed that we were made to wait more than a couple minutes when we had reservations (and were guests of the resort).

• Visited October 2011