“Views ”

Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opened in 1998 in the waterfront location adjacent to Huggo's fine dining restaurant, On the Rocks is a come as you are, kau kau (eat) great food with sand between your toes, kick back and enjoy great island entertainment center of fun on Hawaii Island. "After operating Huggo's restaurant for 18 years, we had the opportunity to purchase the vacant lot right next door and we jumped at it," Eric says. "The concept is what you see today - a casual bar and restaurant set literally on the rocks and sand of Kailua-Bay. Like many locals, we were tired of driving 20 miles or more up the coast to enjoy this sort of relaxed resort ambiance and decided to create just that right here in town."
Reviewed February 16, 2018 via mobile

You can't beat the view. Part of the dining area is on sand, giving it a very relaxedd atmosphere. We had the Kalua pork sandwich and Kimchee fries. It was good. They need a kids menu.

Shanel S, Guest Relations Manager at Huggo's On The Rocks, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2018

Aloha, and thank you for visiting us! Happy to hear you enjoyed getting some sand between your toes. We appreciate the feedback - Please come back and see us again soon. Mahalo!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,354)

Reviewed February 16, 2018 via mobile

I'm so glad we are here on our first night on the Big Island because it set the bar high for the rest of the trip.
The food was good, but not Fabulous, BUT the waiters and live bad made up for that. Everyone was in a great mood and it was so great to sit on a chair... in the sand... on the ocean... while eating and listening to live music. Exactly what I pictured when I previously pictured Hawaii.

Reviewed February 15, 2018 via mobile

Gosh, did we actually go to the same place these reviews are referring to? First of all it took 20 or more minutes to get a table. Then I had to chase someone down to get a coffee while we waited. My cup was all cracked but I didn’t say anything for fear of another long wait. Then we ordered breakfast another 15 minutes later. My wife is a celiac so she modified hers slightly. Well, then we waited and waited. Once again I flagged someone to get a coffee refill. About 20 minutes on our breakfast arrived and, of course it was wrong. It took another 10 minutes to get our waitresses attention and she was very apologetic. In exasperation my wife just ordered 2 eggs and some potatoes. She could have added some gluten free toast for a SLIGHT charge of only $5! All in all, the food was mediocre at best. I had an omelette that was oily and jammed with tasteless cheese, greasy onions and OK ham. I ate half because by this time we had invested about an hour and 40 minutes. The coffee was (in our opinion) awful. The only redeeming factor was the small muffins they serve as a free appy. Of course my wife could not partake in those. If you have plenty of time, patience and don’t really care about the food - then by all means give it a try...,

1  Thank Ross M

Aloha, thank you for visiting us and taking the time to review our property. Your feedback and the feedback of all our customers is extremely important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met. Thank you for the honest feedback, as our guest's overall experience is always a top priority for us and we are always striving to improve our food quality and customer service. We hope to see you again in the future. Mahalo!

Reviewed February 14, 2018 via mobile

A perfect venue for celebrating this special day with your significant other. Could not have been a more pleasant visit. We got the perfect table during Happy Hour to watch the sun set over a cruise ship anchored just off shore. We enjoyed some great drinks, excellent bar food and the company of some new friends we made from an adjoining table. All in all this could not have been a more perfect outing. We will definitely be returning to Huggo’s on the Rocks while here in Kona.

Aloha, and thank you for visiting us! Happy to hear you enjoyed the special holiday! We appreciate the feedback - Please come back and see us again soon. Mahalo!

Reviewed February 14, 2018

We've gone to this restaurant for breakfast or lunch a number of times, though I'm not reviewed it. Today we did so with friends.

The setting is superb - right on the water in the heart of Kona. Parking is a big problem in Kona, and I missed entirely today the 2 good parking lots that are available for customers of Huggos.

Anyway, the ambiance is excellent. Our server was very personable and professional, and the timeliness of service was very good.

Our food consisted of

--our wives had salads, one with chicken;

--one husband had the pork sandwich; and

--I had the sliders.

The salads were very good, but not outstanding - really somewhere between average and very good. My friend thought his sandwich was outstanding. I found the sliders also in the average to very good range.

The price point was about $120 for 4, which included 1 soft drink, 1 iced tea, and 2 draft beers. For Hawaii, reasonable, particularly given the setting and service.

We look forward to going back.