“Very pleasant hosts, delicious breakfast, well considered conveniences”

and 1 more site!
Northern Nights Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Don and Marilyn allowed us to check in early as we arrived on the train around 11 am. It was very helpful to be able to wash up and drop our luggage after 4.5 hours of sitting on the train. We stayed in the Aialik Glacier room on the second floor. Marilyn and Don Sullivan have remodeled the home to accommodate their B&B. The room had a queen bed and futon which had been made up for our son. It was the perfect size accommodation for our needs. A private bathroom was accessed from the room and included a shower/tub with plenty of hot water. The window had been opened before our arrival to air things out. A fan is available, but no air conditioning since things rarely get hot enough to merit it. There was a comfortable couch, small table with chairs, a bookshelf and bedside table.

A small refrigerator with bottled water and soda was on the landing. Small bags of chips, bananas, freshly baked cookies and coffee cake were available in the dining room. Don and Marilyn encouraged us to take snacks with us on our adventures and even sent a bag of cookies with us for our Resurrection Bay cruise.

The location was convenient to the Alaska Sea Life Center and all downtown restaurants, shopping, and sights. Waterfront Park with a lovely playground is within easy walking distance for those with rambunctious younger children. We were able to use the Seward.com shuttle to get close to the house after our train ride (the stop at the Skate Park is the closest to the house). But we also found it to be a pleasant coastal walk to the harbor area (about 30 minutes to the Smoke Shack in the rain with a cranky five year old).

We found the beds to be very comfortable and the room to be quiet even though the window faces a road.

Breakfast is served 6-9 and we let Don and Marilyn know what time we'd like to eat. Another guest was eating later and we appreciated the flexibility. The full spread was amazing and a great start to our day: blueberry pancakes, link sausage, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, cantaloupe, fresh peaches, watermelon, bananas, cold cereal, orange juice, milk, coffee...I feel certain I'm leaving something out, but can't imagine what. Everything was delicious, fresh, flavorful, and abundant.

Guests with allergies should be aware that there are two small dogs at the house. They were kept downstairs during our visit. We didn't see any signs of dog hair in our room, so I'm sure the hosts work hard to keep fur under control.

We enjoyed talking with Don and Marilyn. They have done a lot of traveling themselves and are avid Harley riders. They have lived in Seward for over thirty years and had lots of interesting tidbits to share. They keep current on all the local restaurants and attractions and are able to provide recommendations as needed.

During our 17 years living in Alaska, we have stayed in quite a few bed and breakfast, and usually find it to be a disappointing experience. Northern Nights was exactly the opposite. We were very pleased with the entire visit and will try to stay there again on our next visit to Seward.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 July 2011

We had a wonderful two nights staying with Don and Marilyn. Great breakfasts cooked to order (thanks, Don!) and a bottomless cookie jar (thanks, Marilyn!) that we raided with great enthusiasm. They have many thoughtful touches througout the house that make your stay so comfortable! We appreciated the little fridge on our floor stocked with bottled water and pop, as well as the snacks always out on the table. The room was very comfortable and quiet. We never heard the other guests. The whole place is immaculately clean. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I can recommend this place for the location and that's it. It is located just a couple of blocks from the Sealife Center, the harbor, and the couple of blocks of restaurants and shops that make up "downtown" Seward. The town is interesting--there are as many bars as anything else (the kind with no front windows). There are a few restaurants, and if this is your first stop in Alaska, the prices will induce sticker shock even for East Coast city dwellers. You can get a cab to Exit Glacier for $50 round trip, which gives you a nice hike and view. We also saw a black bear along the highway on the way out there.

What was very disappointing about this B&B was the strange experience we had with being served moldy food. I took a bite of a piece of cake and found myself staring at a large fuzzy greyish piece of mold. Gag. I showed it to the proprietor (only the husband of this husband/wife team was there that weekend), who was standing nearby, thinking he'd want to remedy the situation before any other guests had the same yucky experience of a mouthful of moldy cake, but he just looked at the fuzzy mold spot and said, "Oh that's just a nut," and made no move to check the rest of the pieces on the tray. I said, "I've never seen a fuzzy grey nut before." I would have just dropped it, but then my elderly mother started to reach for a piece so I went over to look at the other pieces on the tray and they were all moldy around the edges. Needless to say at this point I was gagging. I told my mother about the mold (which she hadn't seen) and only then did the proprietor come over and take the plate away--almost in a huff. He never acknowledged the mold or even apologized. In fact, he made a big deal of sounding like he was only removing the plate as a favor to me, so that even my father (who had been talking to him in the kitchen) was confused as to what was going on. It was really, really weird.

I was still hungry, but too grossed out by having eaten very moldy cake to risk any other of the offerings. However, thinking I couldn't possibly have the same bad experience twice, and wanting to give the proprietor the benefit of the doubt, I went back up to sample a piece of banana bread. I put it on a napkin and took it into the living room to eat it, however I looked at it before taking a bite. Thank goodness I did because it was ALSO moldy all around the edges. I showed it to my mother and sister who were also staying there. They were pretty grossed out. None of us tried any more of that food.

The second bed in our bedroom was a really rickety fold out thing that was very uncomfortable. I've done a lot of camping and it would have been more comfortable to have had a sleeping bag on the carpeted floor.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ZukiMini
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Great food, hosts, location, anything and everything you could want in a Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank fedxchick
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed only one night but it was very nice. Here's a synopsis:

Rooms: They have four rooms and we had the two upstairs. Private bathrooms which were very clean, enough hot water for me and two others around the same time. Our room had a queen and a pull-out twin. The queen bed was quite comfortable but the twin was very, very squishy probably due to being a pull-out. The night we were there was quite warm (65-70 F) and our rooms were a little hot even with the window open. Now, as a disclaimer: Seward isn't hot very often.

Shared Space: There is a dining room and a living room as well as their deck to enjoy.
Check in is after 5pm which was a little late for us but they will hold your luggage or check you in early if you arrange it beforehand.

Food: There were freshly baked cookies for us to eat as well as chips and sodas/juices available at all times. We were given a choice between blueberry pancakes and french toast for breakfast - we chose french toast. Breakfast had *almost* too much food :-)

Location: Situated on 6th Ave it is half a block from the Sea Life Center, one block from the bay and half a block from "downtown" Seward - the street with all the shops. Very nice location!

In conclusion, a very nice place to stay. Friendly and knowledgeable hosts and as Great-grandma says "I've never seen a place so clean!"

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank astcw
Reviewed 22 December 2009

Location first attracted us because we did not have a car but could walk to everything from this location. However, the hostess and host were full of information and helpful in any way we needed. The place is clear and easy to relax in the common areas. Breakfast very good and allowed input on what we liked.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KerryandMary
Reviewed 28 June 2009

This was truly a wonderful place to stay. The room was small but fine. We had the living room available to us which was quite comfortable to relax in. The host and hostess were incredibly gracious, knowledgeable about things to do and both are great cooks. There were fresh cookies, muffins, chips and beverages available all the time. The breakfast was cooked fresh each morning at a mutually agreed upon time and included things like blueberry pancakes, fresh fruit, muffins, cereal, juice, coffee and tea. The location was great, right downtown and a block from the SeaLife Center. It exceeded my expectations and I'd stay again in a heartbeat. In fact, hope to go back sometime soon. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends