All reviews sea bean sunrise suite coffee shop downstairs claw foot tub sea life center vintage building grinder great location charming decor complimentary glass of wine baked oatmeal small apartment in town full kitchen within walking distance wood floors shuttle stop
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the adventure room (more like an apartment). It had a full kitchen, bathroom, studio like bedroom living room combo with a small room off of the room that had a. Twin cot and built in dresser. It had a decent view of a small mountain. The good: it was quirky and fun, it had full kitchen, even though we didn’t use because we were there just one night. It is in town, so walking distance to shopping and restaurants.
Not so good: The bed was hard as a rock. I tried twin cot, but it was squeaky and lumpy. I ended up sleeping on the futon. My adult daughter slept on the bed, and she didn’t have an issue. I have had back and neck fusion, so I’m more picky. Floors squeak and they go downhill in some places. There are about 15 stairs to climb to get upstairs where rooms are. There is a deadbolt as the only thing that keeps the door closed. They didn’t make me feel too safe. The water pressure seemed good, but we left early and didn’t use the shower. It was a claw foot tub, which was fun to see.

I would say a good place to stay if you are young and energetic with no issues with hard beds or squeaky floors.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Meredith H, Owner at Sauerdough Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2018

I'm sorry you had issues with the bed! It is a new mattress, and it's maybe a medium firmness. Not too soft, not too hard. The twin "cot" that you described has been replaced with an actual twin bed. Our floors are original, and do squeak sometimes. All our apartments have the original doors, which means that the doorknobs are vintage and don't lock. Each unit has a deadbolt. There is an outside front door at the street level that locks automatically that our guests have to get through before accessing their apartment, so we feel that a deadbolt on each apartment door is sufficient.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

Big awful stairway to lug your luggage....Purple door and red polka dot comforter on broken down bed....Ugly "view" of crap outside window....broken beds, cushions, cars.....just pure ick!!! Grungy futon for so called Double sofa bed....Not even close to "bed". Do yourself a favor and rule this one out from the get go!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank jackiedee453
Reviewed July 14, 2018

Location was decent with eating places right below. Apartment was dated, small. Blinds could not keep the long day lights out in the night. Outside view was neighbor's roof with some chairs! Water was not hot enough for shower. I had to text the staff and was told to wait 10-15 minutes and then try. Fan/light would not turn off light so we had to keep fan off in the night. It was too warm in the night so we did not get good night of sleep. However, Bed and Futons were comfortable. Kitchen was small but functional.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 1Sammy2018
Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

We have stayed in a lot of Boutique style accommodation around the world, varying from brand new to historic- just to give some background to my review...... and I was really disappointed with this one. As soon as I opened the front door to our room my eyes were instantly drawn to the lumpy and dirty looking futon bed. They then went beyond that to the roof patio of the neighbouring property, complete with discarded tools, chairs and other various items. I was to find out later that night that the neighbours do use that patio - quite late and quite noisily!

My overall impression was a lack of spending on this place. Yes, it’s old but with some love and attention it could be great. Get rid of the old and broken gear, replace them and make it modern in a historic building instead of just old and dirty looking. It seems to have no theme or direction - a modern TV but crappy old lounge, high end sheets but kitchen drawers you can’t open.

The bathroom is quaint but sadly lacking hot water which detracted from it considerably! The owners response that yes, sometimes they run out of hot water just isnt good enough. This is Alaska - it gets cold here!!

I left a list of items not working for the owners but haven’t heard back from them, I hope they are attended to - no point having a coffee machine and beans if the grinder doesn’t work.

I really think it could be awesome, but it needs work.

2  Thank TheJ0hns0ns
Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

Loved the vintage building, and it’s obviously been lovingly restored. Great location. Beds not the best, and there are NO people on hand to ask any questions - you can text the innkeepers, and they will get back to you (took an hour or so). There’s also no common room, so definitely not a B and B sort of experience, just FYI.

Date of stay: June 2018