See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

I was a bit worried when I booked this place because of previous reviews, but I decided to take a chance. We wanted to have a little more room to spread out towards the end of our Alaska Vacation and this place provided that room. We were traveling with two teenage daughters and stayed in the two bedroom unit. The key here is to manage expectations. It's not a fancy hotel. If you want that, don't book this place. It's a simple, decent apartment. It was clean, relatively comfortable, and everything worked. I especially appreciated the coffee maker and the daily maid service. One suggestion to owners -more hooks and racks in bathroom would be useful (as well as a little broom). I didn't regret staying there.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2016

When we booked this was just about the only place left and I understand why. when we arrived we saw signs "absolutely no smoking" but the smell of stale smoke when we walked in was overwhelming. The beds are from hell. Also they deduct $50 if you don't leave the kitchen clean but no plug, dish cloth or washing up liquid. Total dive.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2016

Well, I guess beggars can't be choosers and we booked our room late and needed space for three of us and this place was available (we were also traveling with friends who booked the adjacent room as well). Turns out that there was a reason why this place had rooms available.

On the positive side, it is centrally located between the harbor and the Sealife Center and you could walk to either side of town within 10 minutes. It also had on site parking. The bathroom appears to have been renovated since earlier reviews and is clean and functional.

There were numerous reasons why I am only awarding one star (and I am not usually too picky). The suite is very very basic with no character. We happened to be lucky enough to be there on a couple of warm days but that made for a very warm suite even with the windows open. The area was very loud, mostly in the back alley where the other units and nearby housing was located. The unit had a musty odor that never really went away even with the windows open. The sheets for the sleeper sofa/futon did not fit the bed and were not totally clean anyway, nor was the futon/sofa itself. There was no mattress pad for the futon, so we used the blanket. The sheets or mattress for the bedroom had an undesirable odor (maybe from previous smokers?) even though they appeared to be clean. The dishes we used were "mostly" clean but we felt compelled to wash them before we used them. Once we turned the refrigerator down it worked well but was loud and right near the foot of the bed if we had the bedroom door open.

It was definitely not worth the price we paid. Lesson learned is not to wait too long to find places in Seward.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We made other arrangements as soon as we saw the condition of our suite.

The wood door and the door frame were split. This made it hard to open the door and lock the suite! Only one burner on the gas range worked properly. The steam heat registers were in poor condition. We tried to turn the "thermostat" (dial with no indicators) on but the room did not warm up during our two hour stay. A home-made "headboard" fell off the wall and onto the bed when it was bumped. It was made of heavy plywood and was barely secured to the wall with light weight picture hooks. When we contacted the proprietor, she would not give us a full refund, referring to her cancellation policy. We felt that a full refund was justified since the accomodations were completely unsatisfactory, unsafe and unsecured. We are still in dispute with her.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EliseCanada
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband & I stayed at the Marathon View with great trepidation -- it was the only hotel room we could get for the 4th of July weekend in Seward. Thankfully, we found a very friendly young couple now running the place (for only the last couple of weeks, we found out). Our room was clean, with fresh paint, new fixtures and appliances, and new flooring. This is an older hotel, and the room we had was small, and only had a view of an alley. But the price reflects this. The front rooms had a better view, and also cost a bit more. Of course, we didn't come to Seward to sit in the hotel room, but to enjoy a fun weekend outdoors. Please don't let the previous management dissuade you. Oh, and although I noted that the service was only average, that's only b/c this isn't a hotel which has much service involved -- other than checking in -- it's a very small place.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple