All reviews joe allen aialik glacier kayak guide gas grill sea lions great guy great boat foot waves real life stories kayak portion honest man great guide water taxi highlight of our trip kayaking trip lake trail dall's porpoises
Reviewed August 23, 2018

As Alaskan sea kayakers we regularly rely on Joe to help us access the more remote kayaking locations such as Aialik Bay and Holgate Arm. He is always willing to work with us to make our trips comes together, and has contributed his knowledge and extensive experience of Alaskan waters to help us adapt when weather creates challenges. On our last trip we also took advantage of staying in his cabins and really enjoyed the accommodations. Joe has always been a pleasure to talk and work with. Definitely a great operation and a great guy as well.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2018

We rented Joe's cabin as well as used him as a guide to kayak in Holgate Arm. We loved his cabin - it had everything we needed and was a welcome home since we had been camping for week prior to arriving in Seward. The day of our kayak trip, Joe took us out on his boat. I am not a big water person, and the waves got kind of large - 10' maybe - but I never felt unsafe. Joe was clearly in charge so I could relax. When we reached Holgate Arm, the seas were very calm and we kayaked for a few hours. It was amazing to paddle through icebergs and sea otters and see the glacier. Then it was back to Seward. Joe is passionate about Alaska and wants to share his favorite places and experiences with you. Meeting Joe was a blessing for our trip and we loved every minute with him!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Joe is the best! We spent a week with him guiding us through Seward. He took care of EVERYTHING and it couldn’t have been better. We did the whale watching tour, fishing, glaciers, dog sled ride, zipline... it was an amazing experience!

Totally recommend his services, he’s by far the most knowledgeable guide tour I’ve had!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I rented Allen's Alaska Adventures cabin and she said it was the most comfortable bed she slept in. It's a cozy little log cabin that sits just outside the city lines, but is close enough to be anywhere within mere minutes. We also did a sightseeing tour on Joe's boat, the Janet May. It was everything we hoped for! We saw multiple humpback whales, Dall's porpoises, harbor seals on the ice, bald eagles flying, puffins floating in the bay, and much more! The best part was being able to do what we wanted with Joe's guidance and protection to so we opted to barbecue in front of Aialik glacier. Enjoying New York and ribeye steaks while watching the magnificent calving of the glacier was just mind blowing! When I got a little seasick Joe even provided me with anti-nausea meds and all natural ginger and seasick bands. Plus, he had all sorts of snacks available on board. Joe's incredible humor and his immense knowledge base is something not to be missed. Joe's mesmerizing, real life stories are truly riveting. I learned so much on this trip! Plus, he even let me drive the boat for a bit in the bay. Very Cool! I highly recommend Joe and his Allen's Alaska Adventures!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2018

It's very clear Joe of Alle's Alaska Adventures knows his stuff! He gave all sorts of information on activities and sights to enjoy. The bed in his cabin was the most comfortable I slept in during my entire Alaska trip. Joe tailors the boat trips for what his customers want. We chose to explore Aialik Glacier. While absorbing the majestic glory of the land and water as the glacier loudly calved we barbequed steaks on the boat. Awesome! We saw humpback whales, porpoises, harbor seals, sea otters, bald eagles, puffins, and all sorts of other birds and fish. Beautiful is not big enough a word! Joe is a great boat captain and tour guide. He's got informative and hilarious stories he shares easily. He's genuine, authentic, and knowledgeable beyond belief. Book him! You won't regret it.

• Trip type: Travelled with family