“The Customer is King and so is the Dog!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #8 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
“The Customer is King and so is the Dog!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband, dog(Shelby), and I have stayed at this Hotel Monaco twice and the one in Portland once. We joined their Kimpton Hotel loyalty plan and have been treated like treasured guests ever since. Their stated goal is to be the "most loved" hotel company and they have certainly endeared themselves to us. On this trip their dedication to top-notch customer service was evident even before we arrived. We were staying downtown to celebrate my husband's birthday. I had reserved an upgraded room online, but then worried later that it might not be one of their dog-friendly rooms. I called to make certain it was all okay and spoke to a really nice woman (wish I'd gotten her name) who assured me that there are dog-friendly rooms of each kind and that our reservation was all in order. She noted that we are members of the Kimpton In-Touch program and that we were going to be there for a special occasion. She asked if we would like to have a bottle of wine or champagne in the room. I stammered a bit and said that actually we are micro-brewed beer hounds. She said she would see what she could do. So, we arrived downtown around 1pm and thought we'd see if they would let us leave our car there while we went to eat lunch and wait for our room to be ready. We were delighted to find out that our room was already available and we could unload the car. The valet was very sweet to our dog and helped us juggle the luggage, dog, jackets, keys, etc. Inside they have an adorable chalkboard with the names of all the dog guests posted. They also give you a little gift bag with dog treats, a dog toy, and clean-up bags. The lobby has a lot of seating areas, a fireplace, chess set, and complimentary wine around 5ish. I'm not sure what the decorating scheme would be called, but it's warm and comfortable as opposed to a lot of the trendy places with hard surfaces and mod colors. Our room was decorated in a similar fashion to the lobby and included a sofa, lounge chair and desk with desk chair. There was also a bed on the floor for our dog. The bed for the humans was huge and had crisp linens and lots of pillows. The bathroom was a nice size and instead of those little bottles of shampoo and such they had large dispenser bottles in the shower. Probably better for the environment. After dropping our things we went out to explore the city. The hotel is in a great central location and you can leave your car there and walk all over the place. When we came back a couple of hours later there were three bottles of Pike Place Brewery ales chilling in a bucket of ice. There was also a personalized card written to my husband wishing him a happy 56th birthday. It was signed by the Chief Concierge, Jesse Peterson. Too cool! The next day we had a really delicious brunch at the adjoining restaurant, Sazerac. After we returned home I filled out an online questionnaire and gave them high marks for making us feel so special while we were at the hotel. I then received a 'thank you' email from the Director of Operations and it wasn't a form letter! These people are SERIOUS about customer service. I have recently slacked-off on writing reviews because it's time consuming and I feel a little bit like "why would anyone care what I think", but when a company puts so much time and effort into making sure I'm happy I'm glad to talk about them to anyone who will listen.

3 Thank shelbymom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Lakewood, Washington
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We made last minute reservations (day before) for an overnight in Seattle. The benefits of being a Kimpton In-touch member certainly paid off, we had a decent rate, free parking and a $20 dinning credit. The room was beautiful we love how each room is a bit different and it's not like the "standard" whenever you stay at a Kimpton, unless the standard is "cool"! We had very friendly and helpful service from when we dropped the car off at valet all the way to check out the following morning. When we dropped off the car we mentioned that we'd need a taxi in about 30 mins, as soon as we came back out the valet mentioned that he hadn't been able to get a taxi yet, but that there was a town car available that would take us where we needed to go for the same price as a taxi. Bonus! A very nice gentleman then took us to Queen Anne and it was much more pleasant than a taxi. We just appreciated that on a busy Saturday night the valet actually remembered that we had requested a taxi.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GMatthehotel, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Your favorite Kimpton! thats terrific. There are 56 Kimptons now across the land and I hope you can visit all of them at some point and let me know! thanks for a great review.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was my first stay at a Kimpton hotel, and I have to say I was pleased. We had a very late check in, so I was happy to have a speedy experience at the front desk. We ordered a quick bite with room service, which was a nice to have available so late at night, and it arrived quickly. We had a Monaco King room which was pretty spacious, with a desk area, lots of room, and a really comfortable bed. The only thing I wasn’t really crazy about was our shower had built in dispensers of shampoo and conditioner instead of individual bottles. They do, however, offer a handful of amenities at the front desk such as toothpaste and the like if you forget to pack them (some free, others for a fee). We had an issue with our mini fridge, and not only did they service it right away but they immediately brought a cold drink from the bar downstairs since what we wanted from the fridge wasn’t cold. At every encounter the staff was friendly and efficient. Ask for a goldfish, and your stay is complete!

It is centrally located so you can walk to many attractions in the city. It’s extremely close to Pike Place Market, and you can walk down to the original Nordstrom. They have complimentary coffee in the morning, and I think a cocktail hour in the evenings? We booked the $1 breakfast, which was okay – for $1 it’s a perfectly fine continental breakfast, but don’t expect to be full. There’s actually a great little bakery across the street down a block by the Fairmont that I would recommend for excellent pastries like ham and cheese croissant, cinnamon buns, etc. I would stay here again, and will probably seek out their properties in other cities. I also recommend joining their loyalty club for some nice extra perks like free WiFi.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the note, yes! join the Kimpton Loyalty program, there are all sorts of deals and information on the company and hotels in your area. You can control how much material you receive and give us feedback on any of your stays as well as build points towards a free stay, its pretty cool. We calculated one year that we used 90,000 of those little bottles in our guest rooms so, yes we did install pump dispensers in the shower. but... we have the bottles if you would like, just ask and we will deliver. Come back soon!
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We are in a recently renovated 8th floor Mediterranean King Room. It is Big and Beautiful. Very chic! The two person jetted tub is DEEP :0 Lots of cool details throughout the room. No view At ALL tho.

We walked in with no reservations and asked to book a Mediterranean King Room. The front desk clerk said they were booked. I told him I had just seen four room categories available on line within the hour. He then said he had found one room available, but couldn't offer AAA or Gov't rate. The rate from the front desk was $45 higher than what I'd just seen on line (with AAA ($186) and also included a $20 dining credit in their outstanding restaurant, Sazerac), so I stepped into the lobby made the reservation and waited for it to show up on their system (that made time for a quick drink anyway.... :)

The front desk staff were very pleasant throughout the process and offered to store our bags while we got things arranged.

Check out our photos of Room 801.
We love Kimpton Hotels and will be enjoying their complimentary wine hour in the gorgeous lobby shortly.

Room Tip: Book online for a better rate
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Wow, you have started a huge discussion here on the variation of rates and the web site postings, we will get to the bottom of it. those Med. Rooms are great, huge and private, none of them have a view of much, but the room is so cool that its not usually an issue. Appreciate knowing your reservations struggles, glad it worked out.
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I spent 10 days at Hotel Monaco in the beginning of February. I got a nice large room, great service. Love the coffee service in the morning - takes about a minute to grab a coffee to go and internet was fast. In short, my stay was a pleasure.

Will stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: A room with a separate couch area and "bedroom" area is nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thanks for the great note!, of course there is coffee in the lobby in the morning, this is Seattle and the people would riot if there wasnt. If you are looking for a more immediate jolt of caffiene, we have room service 24 hours and you can also just ask for a coffee maker in your guest room.
Livermore, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at our 3rd Kimpton in Seattle Hotel Monaco and once again...we were not disappointed! Love the Kimpton family hotels, pet friendly, hosted evening wine hour and the most friendly staff! We visited the bar in Saerac during the afternoon and had the most delightful waitress and ate breakfast there the next morning and it was just delicious!
Great location on 4th Ave...blocks from Pikes Place Market, Nordstrom’s, Space Needle and so much more!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
GMatthehotel, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Kimpton now has 55 hotels across the country, check out our kimpton hotels website to see where we are growing!
Livermore, California
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband stayed here on business quite some time ago, and everything was excellent. This time, we were not as impressed.

The service was still excellent. And they have complimentary wine in the lobby for an hour each evening. That was nice! And the location is great -- walking distance to Pike's Market and lots of shopping.

One of the first things I noticed when we got to our room was that the upholstered chair next to the bed was in tatters. No kidding. In at least four places it was not just threadbare, but literally torn down to the stuffing. For a hotel of this quality, this is completely unacceptable.

Perhaps one of their doggie-guests been chewing on the chair. That's another thing. We didn't realize it was a pet-friendly hotel. I don't know if that's a new thing, but my husband never saw any pets there the first time around. Maybe because it was during the week, and this time we were there on a weekend. I'm fond enough of dogs, but I don't really want them staying in the hotel rooms that I stay in. However, it's my fault for not noticing the pet-friendly tags on their website beforehand. The dogs were well-behaved overall. There were several in the lobby off and on, and we heard barking twice from our room.

Lastly, the weekend rate in February was a great deal, we thought. But that was before we added in the cost to valet park. It's posted $36 a night, but with taxes it was about $44/night. So be sure to figure that when you're looking at room rates.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank JKW3
I am so sorry that you didnt notice that Kimpton hotels has always welcomed well behaved pets to any of their hotels. We noticed years ago the challenges of leaving a pet behind when the family gets away for the weekend, who looks after Fido, where does he stay etc.
- The hotel is under going a multi million dollar renovation at this moment, our new rooms are shown on the home page of the tripadvisor account. Yes, it was time and some of the rooms were showing their age, but not from over anxious pets. Parking in this area of Seattle is expensive, however the price you pay is for a secure underground lot which has no access to outside individuals, there also isnt any charge for taking your car in and out as many times as you would like. The pricing is very competitive for any hotel in the downtown Seattle market, sorry for the surprise. I do hope you will come back and give us another try, bet you will be impressed with the new Monaco.