“Wonderful Staff”

Hotel Deca
Ranked #64 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Deca for an event at the University of Washington. The staff at was fabulous, especially Jimmy on the morning crew. When he was unable to take me downtown in the hotel's free shuttle, he made other arrangements to be sure I was able to arrive on time. He also gave great directions and was able to problem solve several other issues. All of the other staff that I interacted with were also very accommodating. The hotel itself was welcoming and comfortable, I would definitely stay there again. They also have town car drivers that are available for transportation to the airport: my driver gave me a lot of great information about the city, and it was wonderful to not have to worry about how I was going to arrange other transportation.

Room Tip: There is quite a bit of traffic in the University district, so rooms higher up are a little quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear mel j,

Thank you for the many wonderful things you wrote about that you experienced during your visit. I especially want to thank you for recognizing Jimmy. We truly have the best staff in Seattle and Jimmy is one of the main reasons for this. He goes out of his way to make each experience for our guests unique. It is rare to find someone like Jimmy in this industry so we are thrilled to have him as part of our team.

We cannot wait to see you again.

Jonathan Bartlett

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 1 April 2012

On the map, Deca looks farther from campus than it is. It's practically across the street. The hotel is charming, not cookie cutter, The District restaurant has amazing breakfasts and is a fun pub at night. It's reasonably priced. Parking is very convenient-- the breakfast/parking package is a great deal. Staff is friendly. Room was spotless. There is some traffic noise, but that's what you get in return for the great location. My bed was very comfortable. Free wi-fi a plus! I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Feels like a more expensive hotel.

2  Thank profn

Hello profn,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the hotel. We do have a number of outstanding amenities at the hotel that help treat our guest’s to extreme comfort. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the breakfast/parking package. It is just one of our amazing packages that help you create the experience you are looking for. Also, you are right, we are literally right across the street from the UW. I think we have one of the most convenient locations in Seattle.

Thank you again. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Hotel Deca was recommended to me because it is close to the UW and my husband and I were taking my son on a college tour. Hotel Deca is really convenient for touring the UW -- tours begin at Schmizt Hall which is literally a few blocks from the hotel. Instead of searching for parking at the campus, the front desk allowed us leave our car in the Hotel Deca parking lot even though we had checked out of the hotel.

I opted to upgrade our room to the city view, 2 queen room since we were going to be in Seattle a few days and I wanted a larger space to hang out with our teenage son. The room was very spacious and included a sofa and sitting area with a desk. At the time of our booking, there were specials on the website which basically included free parking and one free breakfast for the regular price of our room. I thought it was such a good deal! I gave my husband, who likes a big breakfast and gets up early, the breakfast voucher and my son and I bought some groceries at Trader Joes which was close by. The room had a nice size refrigerator and microwave oven which was an added convenience.

While I was checking out of the hotel, I struck up a conversation with one of the front desk clerks named Jimmy. He was very personable and he gave me directions, lunch recommendations and a lot of information about UW. He was very excited that my son is interested in attending UW, especially since he would be coming from Los Angeles. Jimmy stored our luggage while we toured UW and when we returned to the hotel to pick up our luggage, Jimmy had a gift for me and my husband. He had gone to the UW bookstore and purchased two mugs, "UW Mom" and "UW Dad!" That was the most thoughtful thing any hotel staff member has ever done for me!!!

I really hope that my son goes to UW so that I can return frequently to the lovely Hotel Deca with the nice, welcoming staff. Thank you, Jimmy, for your sweet gesture!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DonnaLA

Dear DonnaLA,

I am thrilled to read about your trip to Hotel Deca. The promotion you took advantage of was an exceptional deal. We often run promotions throughout the year so please feel free to check our website for additional great packages we will be offering.

I will also make sure Jimmy reads your review. He is an outstanding ambassador for the hotel and truly cares about each guest he encounters. It is rare to find someone as genuine as Jimmy and we are thrilled to have him as part of our team.

Thank you again. We hope the Hotel Deca becomes your home away from home during your trips to Seattle and the UW.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

If you've seen the photos of this hotel, it's exactly that. Nice restoration, helpful staff, a big (fake) fire to keep you warm in the Seattle chill and lots of comfy grouped furniture for chatting in the lobby, fast and free wifi throughout.

Our room was big, with a chaise lounge in the bay window, a bathtub, a designer desk/chair, king sized bed and lots of TV channels. The windows opened, which I always think is nice, and tea and pods for the coffee maker got replaced every day. The only thing we were missing was a fridge.

The great thing about staying here is that it's a block from University Ave, where you'll find lots of indi cafes, restaurants ranging from vegan pizza to spicy ramen and an eclectic mix of stores (vintage clothing, books, sports etc) catering to the university population. Lots of cheap eats and great coffee. It's also a short walk to an arthouse cinema, a mainstream cinema and a massive art supply shop.

We also made good use of the cab rank, right outside, and the Tulley's Coffee and District Bar, right inside.

The upgrading looks to be ongoing... the hallways outside the rooms have seen better days... but otherwise this is a great hotel in a great location in Seattle.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that faces Mount Rainer (although we only saw it once in 6 days). You get...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CreativeSpark

Dear CreativeSpark,

I am so glad your stay was as good if not even better than you expected. As you can see in so many reviews before yours, we take great pride treating our guests to outstanding experiences. Whether it is a great cup of coffee in the morning from Tully’s, a fantastic meal in the restaurant or a trip in the hotel shuttle to downtown Seattle we want each experience to be outstanding.

I will make sure everyone at the hotel reads your review. It really does mean a lot to us.

Thank you and we look forward to your next trip to Hotel Deca.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed two nights here because we were attending an event at the University of Washington. Our first choice, the Silver Cloud Inn-University District, was fully booked. The place is nicely decorated, and the beds are comfortable. However, amenities like a fridge and a coffee maker (standard even in budget hotels) are lacking here. During our stay, this facility demonstrated a number of peculiar (and irritating) inconsistencies. An iron and ironing board were provided, for instance, in a large closet, but it had no light. So it was necessary to grope to find it or to hang or retrieve clothes. Further, that was the ONLY place to store clothing because there were no dressers. Although they offer WiFi, and it was easy to access, there was only one chair at a glass table filling in for a desk. Unfortunately, a mouse doesn't function on such surfaces. The bathroom had lovely deco fixtures and hardware, but the stopper in the basin didn't work. A narrow, sloping shelf with a gap behind it couldn't accommodate toiletries for two (or one, for that matter, because they kept slipping off). Re: the rest of the hotel: the restaurant had a very limited menu with nothing we could eat (we're vegan). Consequently, we had to trek several blocks to find breakfast. And, while there are plenty of good restaurants in the area, it's nice not to have to search for one first thing in morning. (Again, a small refrigerator and microwave would have allowed us to eat in the room.) Style definitely trumps substance at the Deca. Important practical considerations have been ignored, and maintenance could also be improved. I like a pretty place as much as the next person, but not at the expense of functionality and convenience.

1  Thank DocHoliday62
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Dear DocHoliday62,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit to Hotel Deca. I am so sorry your stay was not as good as you hoped it would be. I assure you I take all comments, good and bad, very seriously as I am always looking for opportunities to improve our guests overall experience.

I wanted to let you know that we will be starting a rather extensive guest room renovation towards the end of the year that will address many of your concerns. In our bathrooms we will be adding shelving which will help accommodate additional toiletries. We are also looking at adding additional lighting in the closets. While it is possible to see in the closet due to the hallway light I agree that more lighting would be helpful. We are also in the midst of revamping our menus in the restaurant so your comments will be very helpful. I think your suggestion for a vegan options is a fantastic idea. I hope you look for it next time you stay with us.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We have stayed here multiple times per year since 2007 when our daughter started at UW. In addition to one or two night stays we always book for the 4days of the FIRST Robotics Competition now held at Century Link Field.
Once again our room was perfect, the bed comfortable and the parking easy. The location is awesome for walking to restaurants. The staff is always polite and helpful. Never a problem when we stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna W

Dear Donna W,

We are so thrilled that we once again your visit was “excellent”. We try very hard to treat our guests to consistently outstanding service, care, and comfort. It is fantastic to find out a return guest like yourself recognizes our effort. We hope you continue to make Hotel Deca your home away from home during your visits to Seattle.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

It's great that various corporations are buying these old urban hotels and rehabbing them. Hotel Deca is decorated a lot more nicely than it was when I stayed there 20 years ago when it was named University Tower.

The staff is to be commended for excellence. I wish all hotels had staff that good.

The downside is that the rooms and the bathrooms are very small. We had a King with city view, which means the parking lot, mostly. The sound insulation between the rooms and the hallways is very poor. I would not suggest this for a family unless you prefer multiple rooms. Likewise, the rooms are a tight fit for a couple. I think people must have been a lot smaller and they did not carry so much stuff with them when this hotel was built.

Room Tip: Get a suite or multiple connecting rooms if you are travelling with a friend or your family.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
jbartlett, General Manager at Hotel Deca, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Eyedoc54,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent visit to Hotel Deca. I agree that we do have one of the best team in Seattle so thank you for taking the time to recognize their effort. It is always great to learn that the team created such an exceptional experience.

I am also so sorry that the room was not as comfortable as you had hoped it would be. Throughout the hotel we do have a number of different room configurations and the sizes which often depends upon the type of room the guest reserves. If a guest does have specific needs or request, I always recommend calling the hotel directly so that we can find the most perfect room for you. Whether it is a small or big room, king or 2 beds, or if you are traveling with your family we have rooms that will treat you to the highest level of comfort.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit to Hotel Deca.