“Love this place!”

Silver Cloud Inn Seattle - Lake Union
Ranked #10 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Super easy access off I5 if heading south from Vancouver, BC. GREAT view of Lake Union (WHY stay on the south side I say) clean rooms, comfortable beds - nice restaurants close by AND free parking, free shuttle van with the friendliest drivers... a pool a small but complimentary breakfast - seriously - a great place to stay. I have travelled here for business AND with family and was never disappointed. In fact, during our last stay - my son left his camera on the shuttle van. We did not discover this until we hit our next destination. We called the hotel in a panic - and sure enough! The van driver had turned it in.
The rooms overlooking the lake were of concern on my first stay as the hotel does look across a busy street to the lake - however we were pleasantly surprised to find that the windows are extremely well insulated - and our sleep was not affected. It is an interesting, working dock view of the lake - which we quite enjoyed... watch the yachts, the float planes - just great.

Room Tip: As everyone has said - higher floors - facing the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelwiththeboys23
Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Not right in the centre of everything and because of this I think it is rather expensive for what it is. Nice comfy rooms though, very large and clean, but breakfast nothing to write home about. They do however offer a shuttle every half hour into downtown and to the space needle so that is really great.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank miniperson
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here two years ago for my daughter's wedding and had a very positive experience, so I booked again for an April visit to Seattle. I reserved a King bed room with jacuzzi and fireplace...we arrived late on a Thursday night, for a 7 night stay.

The room we were given had no fireplace, and the tiles in the bathroom were broken and the carpet had large stains on it, evidence of some earlier guest's extreme behavior. Frankly I was surprised that the management would allow the room to be occupied before dealing with the floors, it really looked like something bad had happened in that room and it had a bad smell and a creepy vibe to it. I called the front desk to request a change to a room with a fireplace and was told that none were available. We had to tough it out for the night in the creepy room and decided to request a change the next day. The bed was quite broken down and was in need of replacement, as were the pillows. The sheets were very thin and cheap feeling. It was nothing like I remembered two years previous.

If you are thinking of booking a jacuzzi room, you might want to know that the shower stall is a very small fiberglass corner unit...an odd choice someone made when designing the hotel, as there was plenty of room in the bathroom for a large walk in shower. Towels were plentiful and thick, but the bed linens need upgrading...the beige pillowcases looked dingy and dirty next to the white sheets, and all were on the thin side.

After breakfast we requested a room change, and were told a jacuzzi room with fireplace would become available later that day. We changed rooms about 1pm and went out with family for the evening. When we returned, we attempted to turn on the gas fire, only to find that the fireplace was inoperative. A maintenance employee was dispatched, he turned on the pilot light and we enjoyed the fire and a soak in the 2 person jacuzzi tub with the hotel provided bath salts...nice!!

After returning to the hotel the next evening and looking forward to the warm fire and jacuzzi we found the pilot light was once again out. And the maid had not left any bath salts :-(

A second call for maintenance got the pilot light lit once again, but it was so bright that it made sleeping a bit of a challenge. So the next time it went out we decided to do without the fire.

Positives are the helpful staff, free parking (a big plus!) convenient location near the street car station and restaurants of South Lake Union, refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, Aveda amenities, the well equipped fitness facility, indoor pool complimentary newspaper and complimentary breakfast. The hotel was fully booked and the breakfast lounge crowded and noisy, so we opted to take our food back to our room on several mornings.

All in all, a good value.

Room Tip: rooms away from Fairview Avenue are quieter, View rooms may in fact only be partial or angled views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skyhag89
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The Silver Cloud Inn- Lake Union is very nice and a surprizingly good location. Its very close to downtown without as much hustle and all the added expense. I had a very nice "view" room that I paid extra for. I was quite disappointed in the view. It was the same as the View lounge around the corner. You could only see a little lake between the buildings on the other side of the street. I'd stay there again but not pay extra or expect a view.

Room Tip: Stay for the location not the view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank nanstevens
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed here based on reviews here and on other websites. We stayed one night so we could go to the Seattle Art Museum. We found the staff helpful, and we were upgraded to a double queen, view room upon check-in, which we appreciated. The room was large, with a 42" flatscreen TV and a nice view of the lake. The shower was good--good water pressure. The bed was comfortable. There was a bar sink and mini fridge in the room, but no in-room safe. The free wifi worked fine, but I couldn't get the wired connection to work (not sure if it was my computer's setup, and I didn't have time to fiddle with it). Breakfast was good, in a room with a view of the lake. The free parking was convenient, and we left our car at the hotel and took the shuttle into town. The staff allowed us to leave our car for the day, even after we had checked out.

The shuttle runs twice an hour and has 3 routine stops: the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, and Pioneer Square. Book a place on the shuttle at the front desk to be sure you get a spot at your preferred time (it holds 14 people). For the return trip, just call the hotel and request pickup at one of the stops and they come by for you within 10 minutes. (There are pay phones in Pike Place Market if your cell phone doesn't have roaming or you don't want to pay roaming charges.) The shuttle driver is very helpful, with lots of interesting information--just ask. Be sure to leave him a tip!

Our only criticism of this hotel was the location. It's in a bit of an industrial area, overlooking a busy road (all night) with no shops or restaurants nearby. There is no restaurant in the hotel. Driving to other parts of town can be confusing because of road construction near the hotel. We got lost a couple of times driving to and from a restaurant on the other side of the I-5. Given the price of the room, however, I think we got good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TPT_Traveller
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Came here to celebrate 35th W. A., booked high floor room w/ view of L.U., and surprised with gift of wine and chocolates from Staff, verrry nice touch!! Comfortable bedding, good bfast, great parking included, fantastic front desk staff, overall a 4 star visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kameljakey
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed for five nights at this hotel and found it was in a nice location with a nice view of Lake Union. I feel I got value for money from the hotel. The rooms were a nice size and the bathroom adequately equipped. The bed was a nice size and quite comfortable. In terms of cleaning the rooms were kept to a good standard. The breakfast was far from the best I have had but was sufficient for a few days. With the exception of one member of staff I found the staff helpful and polite. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business