“This is the life!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
Shafer Baillie Mansion
Ranked #5 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Driving up to the b&b, you would think you'd stepped back in time to when things were simpler & life was grand or, it's the latest set for a movie! Capitol Hill reminds us a lot of Vancouver Shaughnessy & the mansions you can find there. The house has many period pieces, down to the light switches but don't be fooled - you will find modern amenities like low-flow toilets & flat screen tvs.

Brenda welcomed us with a quick tour of the house and after dropping off our things and grabbing a couple bottles of water (always available as with coffee, tea, chocolates & pastries), we took the walk down to Pike Place. (Walk along Broadway & down Pike to really get a feel of the neighbourhood.)

We were glad to take another reviewer's advice to book the Queen Anne room as it was indeed quiet & we enjoyed the dual-head shower. Climbing into the queen poster bed and slipping between the soft clean sheets was absolute bliss. We woke up to a very satisfying breakfast complete with pretty much everything you could want: cold cereal, packages of hot oatmeal, three different cheeses & other packaged cheeses (babybel, laughing cow, squeezable philly creamcheese), smoked salmon, prosciutto, hard-boiled eggs, croissants, bagels, toast, jam, marmalade...the list goes on & on! (After breakfast, you can take a walk to Volunteer Park & even pop into the Lake View cemetary to see Bruce & Brandon's grave sites.)

Brenda is very warm & friendly and since we are very low maintenance guests, we didn't mind only seeing her upon arrival and at breakfast the next day. We definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a lovely & peaceful place away from everyday life.

Room Tip: The Queen Anne room is very quiet & has a dual-head shower with great water pressure.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
sbmansion, Owner at Shafer Baillie Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2012

Thanks for a wonderful review and very apt comments. Our innkeepers, Brenda and Glenn, are most definitely warm and friendly. Each of our 8 rooms and suites is quite different and has its own unique charms; your comments about the Queen Anne Hill Room are certainly spot-on. We hope to see you again in the future!
Ana Lena & Mark

There are newer reviews for Shafer Baillie Mansion

Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is a wonderful building with even better hosts. You must stay here.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 21 March 2012

A friend had recommended this place to us and we are ever so grateful to her for that tip. We enjoyed our third floor room with every amenity supplied and slept in a most comfortable bed. The breakfast was delicious and Brenda was helpful and welcoming, even giving us two tickets to the Seattle Art Museum for the Gauguin and Polynesia exhibit. We were able to walk to a good restaurant close by (Coastal Kitchen) and then find the buses the next day for travel downtown. The weather was windy and wet but we felt sheltered from the storms, partly thanks to the umbrellas thoughtfully provided. We appreciated the sitting rooms and tea/coffee and snacks/chocolate provided throughout the day. The mansion is beautifully decorated and restored and could be the set for an American Downton Abbey!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2012

When our "usual" B&B was fully booked, we ended up staying here...and this is now our new favorite B&B (we visit Seattle frequently to see family). The location is great, the rooms are very comfortable and the hosts could not be more friendly and helpful! You don't need a car; public transportation is only a block away......and the breakfast buffet....outstanding! The BEST B&B in Seattle in my opinion!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My title says it all. From the decor of the rooms to the hospitality of the Innkeepers (Brenda and Glenn), the Shafer Baillie Mansion has the feel of home but the beauty of an early century mansion. Almost the entire first floor is open to guests, the woodwork and furnishings are beautiful with a lovely sunroom to add a slightly more modern touch. Brenda and Glenn made us feel so welcome and cared for and the breakfast they serve is delicious. A peek into most of the bedrooms left me stunned at how gorgeously decorated they all are with each room in a different color scheme. Any room would be a delight to stay in. Thank you so much to Ana and Mark (owners) for providing us with such a wonderful Seattle visit!!
Renee and Riley

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in June for 3 nights. It was the perfect location in Seattle for us, as we did not have a car. We could walk downtown, to the Pike Place market, or to the ferry terminal. Breakfasts were excellent, and the hosts provided 24 hour coffee/tea (wonderful tea choices!) in the dining room. The house is very quiet, in a residential area, but a 5-10 minute walk from some interesting ethnic restaurants and shops, which we very much enjoyed. The room was comfortable, and as pictured (on the 3rd floor). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I was on a whirlwind trip of the Seattle area. My highlight was definitely my trip/stay to the Shafer-Baillie Mansion. Glen was very helpful giving me directions to the mansion over the phone and showing me around the place. It is such an amazing property. The bed was amazing, room was bright, spacious bathroom and larger than I expected flat-screen television. He also was very helpful in recommending some great local places to eat along 15th! Unfortunately, I had to leave extremely early the next morning, and Brenda offered to pack me a to-go bag. I was so touched at the feast she had packed which lasted me all the way back on my trip to the east coast. My only regret is I did not get to stay longer. I will definitely be back again. One last note, I was a bit apprehensive about the parking being on the street...but they were right, there was plenty of parking on the quiet residential street!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business