All reviewsballard view roomwoodland parkguest loungegreen lakebed and breakfastcraftsman style homecharming neighborhoodeasy street parkinglarge private deckbath saltsluxurious beddingevery amenitybreakfast was amazingfuture stayseach morningseattle arearelaxing stay
Reviewed June 19, 2017

When visiting my Daughter in Seattle for a few days upon the birth of my new Granddaughter, I wanted to be nearby, so I decided to stay at a B&B in her North Seattle neighborhood of Phinney Ridge. I not only got a good night’s sleep but also discovered that the art of inn keeping is alive and well, as practiced by Shelley Goulding, Proprietor of the 9 Cranes Inn.

Trying sum up why liked the 9 Cranes Inn so much, one thought comes to mind: It was in every way just what I wanted it to be. I arrived late, and suitable arrangements were made to leave a key for me, actually, it was two keys, one for the front door and one for my room. I found the large turn of the century Craftsman style house perfectly renovated. I was charmed by the gracious front porch with wicker chairs begging you to sit, and the bright red front door that says welcome. The gracious interiors feel new and even contemporary while every detail remains faithful to the Arts and Crafts period of the architecture.

The four guest room are each different. However, I learned that Shelly's design team had consistently conceived and created each during the extensive renovations to provide the same level of details and amenities. Considerable thought went into the quality of the bed, duvet, linens, and pillows. The bed was very comfortable and minimized the customary 'miss my bed at home' feeling.

The en-suite bathroom has been reconfigured to be more like what you would expect in a four-star hotel than a home, with every fixture new and thoughtfully selected for function as well as style. It is here that you begin to recognize what sets the 9 Cranes apart, the total dedication to the attention to detail. Everything that you want, and might never need, has been thoughtfully provided in just the place you would expect to find it throughout the large suite.

When making my booking, I was immediately contacted by Shelley with a very personal welcome Email with complete arrival directions and information. I replied and suggested that I probably would not be eating breakfast, and would just have some coffee before joining my family. However, when I came down the first morning, the aromas from the kitchen drew me to the gracious dining table, which I then looked forward to every morning of my stay.

The food was exceptional, and expertly planned and executed by our host. One day it was ‘sweet,’ as in exquisite baked fruit pancakes, and the next day ‘savory,’ as in herbed quiche, each with trimmings, toppings, and sides making it truly a five-star experience.

I did not think I would care for the ‘boarding house’ table aspect of a B&B, but to my surprise, I found the three or four other well-traveled guests each morning to be engaging, providing interesting and informative conversations, sometimes skillfully moderated by Shelly during her course servings. It should not be surprising that the 9 Cranes Inn customer base appears to be made up of birds of a feather, reasonably sophisticated and cosmopolitan, in the manner of their host.

As I made arrangement to depart, I finally identified the real reason the 9 Cranes was everything that I wanted it to be. It was Shelley Goulding, Proprietor of the 9 Cranes Inn—a truly professional Innkeeper in the finest traditions of that term.

Room Tip: The four suites are equal in quality but each with their own character. The 3rd Floor room has the best view with a deck.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Windhover4
Reviewed June 16, 2017 via mobile

I just stayed one night but it was amazing and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Booking online was super easy. When I go there to check in the process was easy. She showed me everything in the house. She then showed me some cool stuff to do in the neighborhood (the boat locks and a local beach) which helped fill my evening and was unique. The neighborhood is very cute and quiet. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful. I HIGHLY recommend staying here and if I come back to Seattle I will stay here again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2017

The Ballard view room was extra special, beautiful views, comfy bed, and bonus Jacuzzi tub! This is the perfect location for our stay - Ballard is a great area! Shelley is welcoming and hospitable, and the Inn is just gorgeous. The décor is simple, but elegant, tasteful and comfortable. Shelley serves a delicious breakfast each morning and is attentive to special dietary needs of guests. We never will stay anywhere else during future visits to Seattle.

Room Tip: Ballard View is the largest and most special of all the rooms, but each one is lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kjobx77
Reviewed June 13, 2017 via mobile

Shelley and Mike have done a fabulous job with their place. Not a minute detail missed. Immaculately clean, tasteful decor, delicious breakfasts. Top floor room (Ballard) is a must-have, but all rooms are wonderful. We will definitely include a return visit in our plans!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

Our stay at 9 Cranes Inn was wonderful! Shelley is the consummate hostess and does everything possible to ensure that her guests have a relaxing stay. She gave us great suggestions on things to do in Seattle and advised us on their public transportation. The inn is a five minute walk to the bus which takes you directly downtown. Shelley prepares a fabulous breakfast with creative dishes and local ingredients! We stayed in the Phinney Ridge room which was spacious, immaculately clean and it had every amenity you could want or need. Many thanks to Shelley for creating the best bed and breakfast in Seattle!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple