“Lovely B&B”
Review of 9 Cranes Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seattle
9 Cranes Inn
Ranked #3 of 27 Seattle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Spent 2 days at this quiet little place in the Ballard room. Super clean and lots of windows and sunlight during the day. Loved the deck where you can enjoy the view on your own. Not to mention the host Shelley who was just so nice and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank SUOJI C

Reviewed 2 August 2017

This is a wonderful bed and breakfast in Seattle. It's situated on a quiet residential street and you can expect all your needs to be taken care of. My wife and I had a wonderful stay and look forward to our next trip to Seattle so we can stay at 9 Cranes Inn again.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We stayed on the first floor and it was wonderful
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David P
Reviewed 21 July 2017

Attended a 50th high school reunion in Seattle in July 2017. A couple from San Diego joined us, the husband & I went to high school and then the Army together. Known him since 1964, and best friend since then. He has traveled the world, both for business & pleasure. He had stayed at 9 Cranes before, and recommended we & our wives stay there again. Boy was he right. Very quiet place, in a lovely neighborhood. Wonderful innkeeper. Good advice on where to go, and what to see. Very tasty & creative breakfasts each morning, and stimulating conversation with Shelly and other guests. Very comfortable rooms, and nicely done bathrooms. Our hostess loves what she does, and she is very good at making her guests feel welcome. Thanks for a great 4 days.
Warren & Jean Ford
Depoe Bay OR.

Room Tip: Best view is the top floor. Has a balcony with a view of the Olympic mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Warren F
Reviewed 19 June 2017

When visiting my Daughter in Seattle for a few days upon the birth of my new Granddaughter, I wanted to be nearby, so I decided to stay at a B&B in her North Seattle neighborhood of Phinney Ridge. I not only got a good night’s sleep but also discovered that the art of inn keeping is alive and well, as practiced by Shelley Goulding, Proprietor of the 9 Cranes Inn.

Trying sum up why liked the 9 Cranes Inn so much, one thought comes to mind: It was in every way just what I wanted it to be. I arrived late, and suitable arrangements were made to leave a key for me, actually, it was two keys, one for the front door and one for my room. I found the large turn of the century Craftsman style house perfectly renovated. I was charmed by the gracious front porch with wicker chairs begging you to sit, and the bright red front door that says welcome. The gracious interiors feel new and even contemporary while every detail remains faithful to the Arts and Crafts period of the architecture.

The four guest room are each different. However, I learned that Shelly's design team had consistently conceived and created each during the extensive renovations to provide the same level of details and amenities. Considerable thought went into the quality of the bed, duvet, linens, and pillows. The bed was very comfortable and minimized the customary 'miss my bed at home' feeling.

The en-suite bathroom has been reconfigured to be more like what you would expect in a four-star hotel than a home, with every fixture new and thoughtfully selected for function as well as style. It is here that you begin to recognize what sets the 9 Cranes apart, the total dedication to the attention to detail. Everything that you want, and might never need, has been thoughtfully provided in just the place you would expect to find it throughout the large suite.

When making my booking, I was immediately contacted by Shelley with a very personal welcome Email with complete arrival directions and information. I replied and suggested that I probably would not be eating breakfast, and would just have some coffee before joining my family. However, when I came down the first morning, the aromas from the kitchen drew me to the gracious dining table, which I then looked forward to every morning of my stay.

The food was exceptional, and expertly planned and executed by our host. One day it was ‘sweet,’ as in exquisite baked fruit pancakes, and the next day ‘savory,’ as in herbed quiche, each with trimmings, toppings, and sides making it truly a five-star experience.

I did not think I would care for the ‘boarding house’ table aspect of a B&B, but to my surprise, I found the three or four other well-traveled guests each morning to be engaging, providing interesting and informative conversations, sometimes skillfully moderated by Shelly during her course servings. It should not be surprising that the 9 Cranes Inn customer base appears to be made up of birds of a feather, reasonably sophisticated and cosmopolitan, in the manner of their host.

As I made arrangement to depart, I finally identified the real reason the 9 Cranes was everything that I wanted it to be. It was Shelley Goulding, Proprietor of the 9 Cranes Inn—a truly professional Innkeeper in the finest traditions of that term.

Room Tip: The four suites are equal in quality but each with their own character. The 3rd Floor room has the...
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Windhover4
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I just stayed one night but it was amazing and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Booking online was super easy. When I go there to check in the process was easy. She showed me everything in the house. She then showed me some cool stuff to do in the neighborhood (the boat locks and a local beach) which helped fill my evening and was unique. The neighborhood is very cute and quiet. Breakfast in the morning was wonderful. I HIGHLY recommend staying here and if I come back to Seattle I will stay here again.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2017

The Ballard view room was extra special, beautiful views, comfy bed, and bonus Jacuzzi tub! This is the perfect location for our stay - Ballard is a great area! Shelley is welcoming and hospitable, and the Inn is just gorgeous. The décor is simple, but elegant, tasteful and comfortable. Shelley serves a delicious breakfast each morning and is attentive to special dietary needs of guests. We never will stay anywhere else during future visits to Seattle.

Room Tip: Ballard View is the largest and most special of all the rooms, but each one is lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank kjobx77
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Shelley and Mike have done a fabulous job with their place. Not a minute detail missed. Immaculately clean, tasteful decor, delicious breakfasts. Top floor room (Ballard) is a must-have, but all rooms are wonderful. We will definitely include a return visit in our plans!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family