“Very nice room design and free wi-fi”

Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Limerick
“Very nice room design and free wi-fi”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed at Watertown two nights during a recent visit to UW. The location is very convenient within University District, only a short walk from restaurants and from Campus. Staff were very helpful and friendly when I arrived and asked for some information on the area. The bedroom was very large, with an interesting design that had the washroom/toilet area separated by a partition from the sleeping area, in a way that the room looked like a small studio rather than a standard hotel room, which I thought was a nice change.
One downsize is that the heating was down to an old-fashioned wall heater/conditioner which was very noisy and clanky - so I avoided turning it on, meaning that I was a bit cold overall.
Another plus of this hotel is free wi-fi - an invaluable especially when travelling for work.
Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ChocFrog75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Serbian first
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed religiously at the Watertown for a LONG time, probably 20 visits or more in total. My brother lives nearby and I am from Boston, so I stay here on all my family visits. The hotel was a hidden gem, as other reviewers say. Small, cozy, clean, modern, organized, simple but tasteful, quiet, and a good location.

It has changed. I just arrived last night, and noticed two main changes: 1) Instead of Aveda soap products, they now have Tommy Banana dispensers (feels more like a Sheraton or Hyatt or Hotel 8), and 2) the free breakfast area is now a pay-as-you-go cafe (which few use because of this).

Lastly, they have not updated the furniture or carpets with the merger. So, what you get is a hotel that is starting to fray a little around the edges (it was about time for some cosmetic upgrades anyway) too.

Also, because I used to stay so often, I could get the best room for a very reasonable rate. That seems to have changed now that they have been bought/merged.

This is still a good hotel (average to slightly above average). It still has some of the feel and flavor of the old "Watertown". But it has changed.

I would probably come back, out of convenience. But I would also look around more in the area and over in Wallingford and Freemont. I would look at B & B options, and other options in the same price range and comparison shop. Before, I wouldn't think twice about coming to the Watertown.

Room Tip: 418 is a nice suite. I have stayed in this room at least 12 times.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Shantap
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your response!

Your comments are spot on! Watertown has embarked on a remodel project that is due to be completed in the coming months. We are planning and close to executing a refresh of our lobby and meeting areas this year! The remodel of Pineapple Cafe has been well-received. As you noted, Pineapple Cafe is new to our hotel and we look forward to offering breakfast and lunch items. Soon we'll be open in the everning as well!

We are delighted that you are a loyal guest of Watertown! It's feedback like yours that helps us keep moving in the right direction! We hope to welcome you back soon - we'd love to keep room 418 for you! Thanks again!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here multiple times over the past 2 years while visiting the UW campus. It is about 4 blocks from the edge of campus (depends on which part of campus), very near the main campus retail, coffee shop, and restaurant area, and generally has a great college vibe. The hotel is a remodeled older property with a lot of room character. I have always had the larger "suite" rooms, which have a couch and chairs seating area in a great room layout with the bed nearby. There is a little bar area with a sink and Keurig coffee maker, which is a nice touch. There are only a couple of cartridges in the room, but I always have a coupe in my bag. I was disappointed the free buffet breakfast, which had a lot of fresh choices, disappeared in favor of the Pineapple Cafe, which is okay but nothing special. Plus, you now pay for coffee. I had some business meetings downstairs, and it was a good location as no one is there. Mystery to me how the cafe makes it.

Room Tip: The suites are very large and great if you plan to work in the room. There is also a desk and small...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jack B
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Watertown while visiting University of Washington the past two years. Your patronage is much appreciated. I’m pleased to learn you found our close proximity to the campus and local businesses convenient. Our spacious Studio Suites accommodate both business and University travelers very well as there is extra seating and work space. We have upgraded our food and beverage offerings by opening Pineapple Café in our north lobby. The Café allows us to offer our guests more variety in breakfast choices, a full espresso bar, and extended hours to cover lunch. Hotel guests always receive 15% off their bill. Thank you again for taking the time to share your overall positive experiences. I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at this University district hotel. Room was very comfortable, quiet and clean. Good seating, counter space in bathroom. Liked having the soap, shampoo and conditioner in push button dispensers. Hotel has only 6 floors which was nice. Free parking while staying is also a big plus.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Watertown and for writing a review. I am glad you enjoyed our location in the University District and found your room comfortable, quite, and clean. Those three points are the very basics of hospitality and we take pride in offering them consistently for every guest. I hope we can welcome you back to Watertown next time your travels bring you to Seattle.
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The other reviews indicate what a nice hotel this is, so I’ll just add a few notes. First, we stayed in the larger sized room (double the size of the basic room) and it was well worth it. Nice touches include a lot of counterspace in the bathroom to lay out all your stuff, a wooden bench, larger sofa bed, mini-refrigerator and small microwave, and Keurig coffee machine with a selection of coffee and tea pods. Instead of those tiny bottles of shampoo and bar soap that doesn’t dissolve in water, this hotel has liquid dispensers (see photo) which I prefer. The toilet/tub room has a motion sensor that operates the fan, which is very quiet. The hair dryer afixed to the wall also has a built-in night light. The room comes with 2 terry-cloth bathrobes of the kind you find in hotels (thick and heavy so you won’t be tempted to stick one in your bag on the way out). The king bed was high quality with good quality linens and comforter. As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel doesn’t provide a free breakfast. Instead, they have a Starbucks-like coffee boutique with pastries and light food. It’s open until 2pm, after which the management puts out reasonable quality free coffee and mini-cupcakes in the lobby. The free parking is underground and the spaces are tight. We had rented a compact car with this in mind and it worked out well. Security is good; a key card is required to access the garage and to operate the elevator. Internet is via free hotel unsecured wireless. The hotel lobby has a pantry with drinks and snacks you can buy; there’s also a grocery market across the street.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at Watertown. It sounds like you took full advantage of most of our room amenities and features. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our spacious Studio Suite room type which features the sofa bed and extra seating area. ALL of our room types feature a mini-fridge , microwave, Keurig, wooden bench, and liquid amenity dispensers. As always parking and internet is completely free for hotel guests and Pineapple Café patrons. We stand behind the product and services offered at Watertown and aim to leave a lasting positive impression on all our guests. Thank you once again for your review and patranoge.
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have stayed at this property since it opened. We like the secure parking and the van to the downtown. The rooms are efficiently appointed and have quality linens and towels. We were disappointed to find the complimentary breakfast replaced by the Pineapple Cafe, where limited items may be purchased. It's not as good as it used to be, but we would return to the Watertown Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the pop machines.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Watertown. It’s through comments from valued guests that allow us to correct any inconsistencies in either our product or service as well as acknowledge our staff for a job well done. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary secured parking garage and shuttle to downtown. We have upgraded our food and beverage options by opening the Pineapple Café in our North Lobby. We can now offer our guests a menu of breakfast and lunch sandwiches, espresso drinks, pastries and more. Hotel guests receive 15% off the low prices. I am eager to welcome you back to Watertown for your next trip to Seattle. Allow me to personally make your next reservation by emailing me at agebran@watertownseattle.com. Please let me know if I can be of any other service to you. Thank you again for your review!
Antonio Gebran
Hotel Manager
cornwall uk
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is our 4th/5th visit to the Watertown but the first time since it was taken over by Pineapple. Previously, I found the service and 'extras' next to none but i do feel it has slipped. I e-mailed them twice before I arrived and failed to get a reply which was unusual and a little frustrating. The complimentary breakfast is no longer and it was so convenient when you had a long day ahead of you! The delicious cookies are also no longer and replaced with tasteless cupcakes and although the room was extremely clean (as before), there were things missing that were there before. I am not sure if they still do their 'a la cart' which offered certain luxuries but I saw no reference to it. The free, secure parking is excellent and the free wi-fi in reception is also useful. Our stay was comfortable but as others have said, it is slipping and I will look elsewhere in future before I book the Watertown again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vicsoz
Thank you for your taking the time to review your experience at Watertown. I apologize and am concerned that your emails did not reach us and were not responded to timely. We strive to respond to emails within 24 hours in all cases. I will research this further and make necessary adjustments in our procedures.

As you have acknowledged, we have changed our food and beverage programming by opening Pineapple Café in our North lobby. Different from previous buffet offerings, which we could no longer execute consistently , we now serve fresh house-made lunch sandwiches, in addition to the breakfast offerings of espresso drinks, breakfast burritos, pastries, cookies and more. Watertown Hotel guests receive 15% discount off the low prices for all items.

We hope that our continued offering of amenities such as complimentary secured parking and free WiFi throughout the hotel will weigh in your booking decision in the future. We hope to welcome you back.

If I may be of any personal service to you, please do not hesitate to phone me directly at 206-826-4253

Thanks again for your feedback!
Antonio Gebran