“Nice, modern room with great view!”

Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #26 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My 2nd stay at Watertown. King view room, 3rd night free deal made it an excellent value. Lovely view of mountain, city skyline. Very friendly staff, free underground parking, washer/dryer on each floor was a big plus. Comfortable bed, very spacious bathroom area. My only 2 issue: I hate the new Tommy Bahama soap, shampoo,etc that they have now. Very fruity, icky smelling, used my own instead, used to have nice, normal stuff...Also, instead of fitted bottom sheet, they have a regular sheet tucked into mattress-comes loose easily. All in all a great place though!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Rita8740
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience at Watertown. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our scenic View Studio Room along with our complimentary parking and guest laundry. I’m sorry the scent of our in-room soap was not appealing to you but we do have alternatives available by request. I’m glad you found our bed comfortable and we are working with our linen provider to rectify the issue with the sheets. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Watertown.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We used this hotel a year ago and liked it so much we gave it a great rating on Trip Advisor. We returned to Seattle again in November 2011 and once again stayed here. Unfortunately, there had been some changes in the hotel which left us feeling that we needed to update our review. First, when we were there in 2010, they offered a lovely free breakfast. When we went in 2011, we were informed that they no longer provide a free breakfast, though we could now buy breakfast. Second, the hotel has changed to the new trend which provides liquid soap in a container on the wall rather than providing a bar of soap and a small bottle of shampoo. I felt both of these changes significantly downgraded our experience at this hotel and when I returned to Seattle in March 2012, I chose a different hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank theorchidlady

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry we were not given the opportunity to welcome you back to Watertown during your most recent visit to Seattle. As you noted, we have expanded our food and beverage offering by opening the Pineapple Café in our north lobby. We can now offer all hotel guests a larger and more diverse variety of breakfast, lunch, and espresso menu items at a reasonable price. Hotel guests receive 15% of their entire purchase at the café. We have also upgraded our in room amenities by installing wall dispensers which help us reduce our environmental impact. We do have bars of soap and bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion available by request. I hope you would consider staying with us again keeping in mind we still offer the following for FREE: wireless internet, secured parking, local shuttle, ala carts, guest laundry and bicycle rentals. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

This modern hotel is conveniently located and very close from UW, restaurants and stores. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room clean, spacious and with a nice layout. There's free wi-fi in the hotel and the rooms are equipped with a mini-fridge and a microwave, all of which is very convenient when traveling for work. There's also a cafe in the first floor for a quick breakfast or grab-and-go.

1  Thank dharma22
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Watertown. I’m happy to hear we were a great fit for your stay. I’m glad you had the opportunity to experience our convenient location to local business and the UW campus during your business trip. Our café not only serves breakfast but also lunch and hotel guests always get 15% off. We look forward to welcoming you back to Watertown on your next visit to Seattle!

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Watertown Hotel is a relatively new hotel. My husband and I have stayed here whenever we visited Seattle. We like it very much and recommend it to our friends. Its location is convenient, close to the University of Washington and the U Way, where there are nice book stores, restaurants, and theaters. The hotel has modern design, clean and bright. The room is big, quet, and comfortable. The management offers free choices of DVD player, computer, etc. They even provide free shuttles to downtown every hour. Besides, there are also a washer and a dryer, very handy when we stay for more than a week. But it's a pity that they stoped offering free breakfast, which used to be quite adequate. Most of the staff are very friendly and helpful. I appreciate it when they allowed us to check out late, for we had an evenin flight. Above all, the discount in the low season (i.e. Third Night Free) made our last stay here even more pleasant than usual. We'll definitely return to this lovely hotel.
By the way, Village Sushi on the 12th Avenue and Chiang's Gourmet on the Lakecity Way are very good. Try them!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank madprofessor

I am very pleased to hear that we are your favorite hotel in Seattle! That is very high praise indeed! I appreciate your patronage and for recommending us to your friends. Our close location to UW and local businesses, ala cart’s, and shuttle to/from downtown Seattle are a few of our most popular amenities and I’m happy you have taken advantage of them. We continue to improve the guest experience by opening the Pineapple Café in our north lobby where we offer breakfast and lunch menus along with a full espresso bar. Now you don’t even have to leave our lobby to get an adequate meal! Look for our extended evening hours on your next visit to Watertown.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed at Watertown two nights during a recent visit to UW. The location is very convenient within University District, only a short walk from restaurants and from Campus. Staff were very helpful and friendly when I arrived and asked for some information on the area. The bedroom was very large, with an interesting design that had the washroom/toilet area separated by a partition from the sleeping area, in a way that the room looked like a small studio rather than a standard hotel room, which I thought was a nice change.
One downsize is that the heating was down to an old-fashioned wall heater/conditioner which was very noisy and clanky - so I avoided turning it on, meaning that I was a bit cold overall.
Another plus of this hotel is free wi-fi - an invaluable especially when travelling for work.
Overall, a pleasant stay.

1  Thank ChocFrog75
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed religiously at the Watertown for a LONG time, probably 20 visits or more in total. My brother lives nearby and I am from Boston, so I stay here on all my family visits. The hotel was a hidden gem, as other reviewers say. Small, cozy, clean, modern, organized, simple but tasteful, quiet, and a good location.

It has changed. I just arrived last night, and noticed two main changes: 1) Instead of Aveda soap products, they now have Tommy Banana dispensers (feels more like a Sheraton or Hyatt or Hotel 8), and 2) the free breakfast area is now a pay-as-you-go cafe (which few use because of this).

Lastly, they have not updated the furniture or carpets with the merger. So, what you get is a hotel that is starting to fray a little around the edges (it was about time for some cosmetic upgrades anyway) too.

Also, because I used to stay so often, I could get the best room for a very reasonable rate. That seems to have changed now that they have been bought/merged.

This is still a good hotel (average to slightly above average). It still has some of the feel and flavor of the old "Watertown". But it has changed.

I would probably come back, out of convenience. But I would also look around more in the area and over in Wallingford and Freemont. I would look at B & B options, and other options in the same price range and comparison shop. Before, I wouldn't think twice about coming to the Watertown.

Room Tip: 418 is a nice suite. I have stayed in this room at least 12 times.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Shantap
MarcoBaumann, General Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for your response!

Your comments are spot on! Watertown has embarked on a remodel project that is due to be completed in the coming months. We are planning and close to executing a refresh of our lobby and meeting areas this year! The remodel of Pineapple Cafe has been well-received. As you noted, Pineapple Cafe is new to our hotel and we look forward to offering breakfast and lunch items. Soon we'll be open in the everning as well!

We are delighted that you are a loyal guest of Watertown! It's feedback like yours that helps us keep moving in the right direction! We hope to welcome you back soon - we'd love to keep room 418 for you! Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here multiple times over the past 2 years while visiting the UW campus. It is about 4 blocks from the edge of campus (depends on which part of campus), very near the main campus retail, coffee shop, and restaurant area, and generally has a great college vibe. The hotel is a remodeled older property with a lot of room character. I have always had the larger "suite" rooms, which have a couch and chairs seating area in a great room layout with the bed nearby. There is a little bar area with a sink and Keurig coffee maker, which is a nice touch. There are only a couple of cartridges in the room, but I always have a coupe in my bag. I was disappointed the free buffet breakfast, which had a lot of fresh choices, disappeared in favor of the Pineapple Cafe, which is okay but nothing special. Plus, you now pay for coffee. I had some business meetings downstairs, and it was a good location as no one is there. Mystery to me how the cafe makes it.

Room Tip: The suites are very large and great if you plan to work in the room. There is also a desk and small...
1  Thank Jack B
Antonio G, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at Watertown while visiting University of Washington the past two years. Your patronage is much appreciated. I’m pleased to learn you found our close proximity to the campus and local businesses convenient. Our spacious Studio Suites accommodate both business and University travelers very well as there is extra seating and work space. We have upgraded our food and beverage offerings by opening Pineapple Café in our north lobby. The Café allows us to offer our guests more variety in breakfast choices, a full espresso bar, and extended hours to cover lunch. Hotel guests always receive 15% off their bill. Thank you again for taking the time to share your overall positive experiences. I hope we can welcome you back soon.