“Beautiful B&B”

Ranked #12 of 28 Seattle B&B and Inns
Santa Barbara, California, United States
“Beautiful B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Chambered Nautilus while I was visiting the University of Washington. This is a beautiful property, located in the midst of the University District and only a short drive to the downtown Seattle area. Joyce (the owner) and her staff were wonderful, during the booking process of our stay and while we were in Seattle. The property is absolutely gorgeous and the rooms are beautiful as well, with cozy, thoughtful touches like a bookshelf and a resident teddy bear. The living room constantly had a fire roaring and complimentary cookies, coffee, and tea available to the guests. However, perhaps the best part of our stay was the food! Every morning, Joyce prepares a gourmet breakfast for her guests. I still reminisce about her pumpkin yogurt pancakes and ham and cheese waffles. Yum! Overall, excellent bed & breakfast with every modern comfort. I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Audrey A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
spokane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have stayed at Chambered Nautilus about half a dozen times and just enjoy and appreciate it more each time I do. This B&B is charming, the staff is so friendly and helpful, the breakfast meals are delicious, varied and very satisfying. The parking is fairly easy and the location just cannot be beat...just between my UW students housing and U Village shopping...easy access to
I-5 and 520. The rooms are lovely and I always enjoy meeting the interesting folks visiting from various places around the country and hearing their excitement over discovering Seattle. Joyce is an attentive, helpful and fun hostess. I just think it is a treasure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank catherine k
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My and my friends from the UK and NYC stayed in the Greenlake suit for 2 nights, my olny wish was to NEVER leave! Wonderfull place, for a road trip me and my friends stumbled across this place on trip advisor and didn't even need to blow our budget. Such a lovely lovely place to stay, the breakfasts are a winner as our the amazing staff and beautiful grounds! A real old school American home experience...cookies on tap! a $15 cab ride to downtown! Cant fault a single thing, i will be back with more friends this year for sure! Not staying here would be just plain silly!

Room Tip: The suits are nice and roomy if your wanting something a little more privet. We picked the Greenlake...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan H
ChamberedNautilus, Owner at Chambered Nautilus Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
So glad you enjoyed your stay in our Suite. We look forward to meeting more of your friends this year, it was such fun having you here! and.......not only is the cab to downtown just $15, there is a nearby bus that gets you downtown for just $2.75! Cookies on tap! I love it!!!!
Till next time,
Joyce
Vancouver BC Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I think this is a great alternative to a hotel, but we stayed here a couple of years ago and had a better experience. The location is great: there are dog friendly suites and the park nearby is a wonderful place to walk the dog . The staff is very pleasant and helpful. The rooms in the house are quaint and have been updated. The house itself is lovely! It is a very pleasant place to sit and read a book or the paper. Here are the buts: the breakfasts were disappointing: the first day we had chopped apples as the starter and blueberry pancakes; the second day was nicer with a quiche but we felt sorry for one of the other guests... it was so skimpy.. luckily my niece did not like it so she gave him hers. Last time we were there the breakfast was much, much better (and one of the reasons we returned). The suites (where you can bring dogs) are run down and need updating: the bathroom really needs to be redone; neither the bed (which was ridiculously high for my elderly mother) in the bedroom nor the pull out couch was comfortable. We were glad to come home to our own beds.

That said, it was clean and quiet and is a good option for being in the university district. But I doubt we will return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank kejimkujik
Wow, nothing is harder to hear than when a guest returns to us and is not happy on their second stay with us. As readers can see from our other reviews we have had many returning guests that have enjoyed their second, third and more stays with us. I am VERY SORRY that we did not repeat the first experience this guest had with us.

In all honesty, I bet the bath in their suite did look rundown as the friends they were traveling with, stayed in a room with a brand spanking new bathroom that we had just 2 days before finished remodeling! But while this room was in our house, have no fear as we are also updating our suites too. We update our accommodations equally and do many projects each year. Had these guests stayed in our Ravenna Suite they would have found it completely remodeled top to bottom, with a brand spanking new bathroom, (see pictures just posted here on TA) and other suites as well would have revealed updated baths, but of course a reviewer can only speak to the room they stayed in.

The suite they stayed in though was far from rundown, while still awaiting its new bath, it is sporting new carpet, new paint, and curtains, and sadly redoing another bath this year was just not in the cards. As most of you might guess…updating bathrooms is not an inexpensive undertaking so we are constantly updating, doing as much as we can each year. By this time next year or sooner, this suite too will have a brand new bath, but the one it has now is sparklingly clean, with comfy towels and divine soaps waiting for you!

I just do not know what to say about breakfast…………….I am flabbergasted, we are constantly complimented on our food, and I am so sorry they did not enjoy their entrees on this trip. We do not skimp on breakfast, it is the other half of our name, bed and breakfast, and we pride ourselves on the food we serve as can be told from our other reviews. The “chopped apples” was our Apple Salad, a variety of Washington apples, chopped and mixed with dried cranberries, then tossed in our own yogurt and vanilla-nutmeg sauce. We have been serving our “apple salad” for years and the fruit bowls come back to the kitchen empty so we keep serving it. Likewise, we have been making the blueberry buttermilk pancakes for years and they are often requested by our returning guests. It is not our intent to skimp on breakfast at all, if anything we are constantly working to improve our breakfasts and have just recently added some new items, to our traditional favorites. We strive to serve generous portions, usually we are asked to serve less food not more. Quiches are crust-less and served in 6-7 oz. ramekins. I personally cook several times a week, but alas I was not in the kitchen on either of these 2 mornings, leaving the cooking to my experienced staff, however mistakes happen and as with all reviews we will take these comments on our food and portions to heart, review it with our staff, and make sure that the pancakes are fluffy and big, and the quiche ramekins filled to the brim! We have about 14-20 different entrees that we make and a multitude of fruit dishes, and always have our homemade granola. Again, I can only say I am sorry that the guest was disappointed with the entrees we served this time. Please know that we are always happy to repeat a favorite of yours on a return visit, just ask and we will do our best to serve it to you, and if ANYONE at ANYTIME does not feel that they have had enough food (which I hope never happens), please let us know as we are always happy to make additional items for you. Again it seems that we just missed the mark on entree selections this time and I do apologize, I hope should these guests decide to try us again that we provide one of their favorite dishes for them. Again, this is a personal business and we strive to do the best we can for each and every one of our guests and we are always saddened when someone does not find their return visit as wonderful as the first time.
Tacoma, wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This B&B was quiet and centrally located - close to the University (easy walk) and to downtown Seattle or north a short bit for easy shopping at the mall. Had a top-floor room, with private bath, private deck and gas fireplace in the room. Very quiet and cozy. MUCH better than a cold, impersonal hotel room!!! Breakfast was very nice - individually plated and served, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Top floor only has two rooms - a few stairs to get there, but worth it as there is less chance of ne...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marie B
Vienna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

If you want to get out of the hotel chain experience and enjoy a truly unique accommodation, I can recommend the Chambered Nautilus in Seattle. We spent two nights here in August of 2011 and will definitely come back again when staying in Seattle. The plus points: 1) nice sized suites that sleep four and have small, functional kitchen areas; 2) freshly cooked breakfast and a staff that accommodates special requests (one of our party, for example, was vegan; and they adjusted the menu for her); 3) nice, quiet residential area near the university. Since we were a party of five, we needed two suites; and this increased the overall price-tag significantly. It certainly wasn't a bargain; but we wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tarnungus
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

After being on the road for 2 months, this charming B&B was a nice change from the rush of hotels. We are partial to old homes and this one is tastefully decorated with antiques & small touches that enhance the experience - custom soaps, tea & coffee, cookies - to name a few. Guests can sit by the cozy fireplace in the living room. Breakfasts were very good, delightfully presented and properly proportioned. The Inn was so lovely we spent one rainy day just lounging around & reading books - lots of choices on the shelves. Even when there was a full house everything was well run & delightful. We appreciated Joyce's help in getting our bicycles & luggage up the stairs & safely stored. At booking she told us...all we needed was to be able to get ourselves up the stairs...and that was true. Joyce & staff...thanks for a lovely visit. We will be back if we are in Seattle again. K&M

Room Tip: I looked in most rooms & all are charming. We had the Garden Chamber so the bathroom is in the h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple