I stayed here on business for 4 nights during April 2012.
The hotel was in the final stages some major renovation work in the reception area, but service was still good.
The location of this hotel for the downtown area is excellent. Most of the shops and restaurants are within a 10 minute walk.
Check-in process was prompt and efficient, and I was even given a choice of rooms with different views by a very helpful receptionist, though I'd imagine that such a choice wouldn't be possible in high season when occupancy rates are 100%.
The room was finished to a high standard, with nicely arranged towels and complementary toiletries in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, with a choice of different sized pillows. There was also a computer desk/work area, with a range of different lights allowing you to get just the right amount of light for working or reading.
I was fortunate to get a high level room overlooking the city and mountains in the distance, and witnessed some superb sunrises and sunsets. Mount McKinley is also visible just to the left of the Captain Cook hotel (see one of the attached photos), even though it is 235 miles drive away! Sometimes there were also military airplanes taking visible from the airbase nearby, but they weren't too noisy despite the proximity. I slept very well here every night, as traffic noise was minimal.
Breakfast downstairs was a choice of hot and cold buffet options, with fresh fruit, yoghurts, choice of different breads for toasting etc. There is also an a-la-carte menu, which allows you to order a wide range of other breakfast options. Service at breakfast was prompt and attentive. The average cost for breakfast was $14 - $18, which wasn't too high considering the choice and quality in a high standard downtown hotel.
Having a rental car, I did make use of the valet parking service, which costs $24 per day. Nearby parking costs $1/hour at off-peak rates, but at weekends there is free on street parking available after 6pm on Friday when the meters stop operating. Once requested, my car was outside within 5 minutes.
The one huge advantage over this hotel with another I stayed at in Achorage was the speed of the internet. Yes it costs $13 per day, or $40 for a week compared to the free access offered elsewhere, but it is worth every penny if you need fast and reliable internet access for business. I was regularly able to get download speeds of 4 Mbps, which easily saved me 20 - 30 minutes per day and it was a joy to access web sites that opened quickly and were responsive.
Overall, I would have no hesitation in using this hotel again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy luxury accommodations, first-rate service and an ideal location at Anchorage Marriott Downtown. Our Anchorage hotel's setting is perfect - within walking distance of local businesses, shops, restaurants and attractions including the Anchorage Convention District, Anchorage Museum, Performing Arts Center and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Booking.com, Marriott and Cancelon so you can book your Anchorage Marriott Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anchorage Marriott Downtown Hotel Anchorage
- Marriott Anchorage
- Anchorage Marriott Downtown Alaska