Qupqugiaq Inn
US$215
US$195
ClarionHotels
Comfort Inn Ship Creek(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$298
US$238
ComfortInn
US$257
US$203
ComfortSuites
US$209
US$178
Lakeshore Inn & Suites(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$229
US$169
BestWestern.com
Hotel Alyeska(Girdwood)
US$314
Bent Prop Inn & Hostel of Alaska(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$129
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Qupqugiaq Inn was a highlight of my trip to Alaska. I didn't want a standard chain hotel or bed and breakfast, and it didn't seem like there were a lot of independent hotels in Anchorage. Qupqugiaq Inn definitely has character! Each curve and cranny is unique. the room I stayed in was the Cuba room, on the ground floor, and, though not large, it had a beautiful carved bed, antique desk, and decorations from Cuba. I had a great time talking with fellow travelers in the common areas upstairs, as I cooked and ate dinner with my wife in the shared kitchen.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jane118
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there because of Lonely Planet suggestion and I am really wondering if they have ever been in that place.

It's just a very dirty and dodgy hostel/hotel. I couldn't see if there was a carpet, because there was so much dust and sand on the floor. The sheets are old and with holes. In the kitchen don't try to find any spoon, because it's not any. To get a mug was also a luck. And the people who stayed there seemed to fit the scenery - looking angry and depressed.

When someone calls, random people pick up the phone and don't bother to pass a message. It was in our case when our guide called hostel 3 times to let us know that he will be late. I was going back and forth to the "let's-call-it-lobby" checking if someone called, but nobody bother to leave a note for us.

Very bad experience. That's all.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank narff
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

We booked a private room in this place without checking any reviews because it came recommended by lonely planet. We can only imagine they have stayed at an entirely different hotel. We've stayed at bad places before, but not many as bad as this. There was no breakfast, coffee or home made bread, 1 towel to share (because their other towel was in the laundry) and the room was disgusting.

There were small brown things on the ground I didn't dare touch, walking in the room without shoes was out of the question. Getting on the bed didn't help much either since there was a big piece of hardened gum spread out on the sheets with hairs sticking out, probably courtesy of the previous visitors.

A big massive plus for this hotel is that it makes every other place seem like a palace. But seriously: stay away! If you find yourself accidentally near this hotel just ask the locals on the street for directions, they will tell you how bad it is and point you to much nicer, and cheaper, hotels in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We looked everywhere in Anchorage for a hostel that we could take our family to and Qupqugiaq was by far the best choice. They have rooms with private bathrooms or you can share. They also have a common area with a kitchen, dinning, computers, and a small reading area stocked with books which was always kept clean. You will always be greeted with a hello and really great staff that cares about there work and the people. The inn keeper offered a very great family enviroment and gave a place for the kids to play as well took time to talk with you and treated you not as just a guest but part of the Qupqugiaq family..... Thanks Again Jennifer from Christine, Christopher and baby Kaelyn.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Chris M
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Whenever I’m in Anchorage I always make a bee-line for the Q. It’s the cheapest, bright, phone, and computers and with a great location. There are 2 convenience shops very close, and the movie is within walking distance. Important for me as I do not drive. Bus routes are nearby. I always love the inner refreshing greenery of the lobby.

Geoff is a major traveller and Arctic survivor. From his deep incursions about the little visited corners of the globe, he has brought back astonishing treasures; my last room [4] has Islamic tile art. He personally built those curved walls, the only example in the state.

There is a real moral ethos. Geoff and manager Jennifer have, for example, set up a functioning centre amid the rubble of Haiti. Chino boxes at state level. Over the years they have all become lifelong friends.

If you really want to meet the varied peoples of American’s last remaining frontier then the Q is for You. They come in from the villages of the vast Alaskan hinterland; and this is where they stay. You will not find such in other hotels; just little boxes of the USA. Magic is not there.

I strongly recommend it for your real Alaskan adventure

There is no better place in all Alaska than The Qupqugiaq Inn!!!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo