“DO NOT book this hotel!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Eagle River
“DO NOT book this hotel!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

If you are going to be rude enough to actually expect a room when you have confirmed reservations, DO NOT book this hotel. I had confirmed reservations for two nights in a 1 bedroom king suite. When I got to the hotel, I was told that the only room available was a handicap room. The room reeked of urine. The smell was so bad, they had all the windows open and a deodorizing machine running on the counter to attempt to deal with the smell. I returned to the counter and they said I could get a regular room at a competing hotel across town. I informed them that this was not acceptable. I was sent on my way. I called Hilton corporate. After 20 minutes on hold, to find someone that spoke english, I was informed that I could NOT expect confirmed reservations to mean that I had a room reserved, after all the airlines do it all the time, and no other room was available in town. When I got irate and asked the alleged supervisor "What am I supossed to do, sleep in my damned car?" I was informed that if I was going to continue that kind of language, he would not deal with me and promptly hung up the phone. The property obviously does not need your business (well at least mine) and neither does Hilton.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank oldtiredfatguy
Bryan G, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear OLDTIREDFATGUY,

Your unpleasant experience with us is highly out of the norm and I would love to discuss this with you further. Please contact the htoel directly and we will absolutely get to the bottom of the issues you encountered. The hotel just finished a renovation and all of our suites should be 100% up to the high Hilton standards. I anticipate hearing from you and appreciate your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Traveling from the east coast to run a workshop, the property was fine, safe and comfortable. The staff was pleasant. The meeting room and support was good and the location was very convenient and near the airport. The free Internet and the free breakfast and dinner (free dinner Monday through Thursday) was a nice touch. The lobby was cozy and had interesting information about the history of the area. I Liked the fact that there is a starbucks near by. Overall, a convenient nice place to use as a base when in Anchorage.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and go for a suite if you are not by yourself. Be sure to leave the cleaning staff...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank tealight
Dear tealight,

Thanks for the great words about our brand new renovated Homewood suites by Hilton. We are glad your experience with the meeting rooms and other services was great. We hope to accommodate you again in the near future. Thanks for choosing our hotel.
Cocoa Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I bank HiltonHonor points, so I elected this hotel. After Google-Earthing it, I was happy to see it was in a location that had the potential for views and could be a peaceful retreat. My expectations were exceeded, primarily by the reception staff, who took it upon themselves to make me as comfortable as possible. My only, slight negative would be the complimentary appetizers. Other, Homewood Suites in which I've stayed (most recently, Houston Clear Lake), afforded appetizers from local restaurants which was a real pleasure. It seemed the local staff home-cooked the items and neither the quality nor quantity was sufficient. However, I would certainly stay there again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Birder1CocoaBeach_FL
Dear Birder1CocoaBeach,

Thanks for staying with us before your Alaskan cruise! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the desk staff to exceed your expectations. Your feedback is much appreciated and we will use your suggestions to improve our complimentary dinner. Thanks again for sharing your experience with others on tripadvisor.
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Rooms are large and well equiped with the basics. The staff are always very friendly. Breakfasts aren't great but will do in a pinch. Very close to several restaraunts and is easy to get to from Anchorage International airport. Overall a decent place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank derbyking98
Dear Derbyking98,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay at our newly renovated Homewood Suites. I am glad to hear your comments about the staff always being friendly. We strive to exceed your expectations at our Hilton hotel, and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.
Issaquah, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed in a 2-bedroom suite for a ski trip to Alyeska over President's Day weekend. It's rated here as one of the top hotels in Anchorage, and certainly met our needs but it wouldn't fare well against the competition in the lower 48. My main complaint is that the decor and fixtures in the rooms were a little old. I assume Anchorage is just a difficult place to make a lot of money on guest lodging.

Unlike the rooms the lobby was pretty nice. There are a pair of stuffed bears and a moose head, as well as some landscape photographs and native american whaling tools. There was also a cozy fireplace and some couches.

We didn't use the pool or hot tub but they were available and not crowded.

The breakfast was pretty good and there was plenty of seating. It was a nice way to start the day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jason R
Barbara K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for staying with us and I am truly happy you had a great expereince. It is our goal to treat every guest as this is there home away from home. I hope you come back and visit us again.
Kenai, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Staid in quite a few hotels in Alaska and unlike many this one did not disappoint! The customer service was excellent, the suite spacious, the breakfast delicious, and the hot tub was the fanciest I've seen yet! The price was a bit steep and they didn't have a residential rate or slope rate, which is always a plus for those of us that weather this state year round, but you certainly do get more amenities out of it then any other place we have staid yet. They have a home coming dinner available monday through thursday, which is the first I have seen and a really cool idea, but it went from 5-7 and my husbands plane doesnt usually come in until 7:15, so that was a little disappointing. It would have been nice to have the pool/hot tub available a little later than 10, and the pool was quite chilly, but overall, I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay if you like a more lavish lodging experience! It was also VERY family friendly. Will most likely stay here again sometime!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank fallenangel2442
Woodbury, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Great hotel, friendly staff in loby, and very accommodating. Considering another week this year...are your renovations to the rooms? Newly renovated rooms would seal the deal. With dietary issues, the kitchen staff were very helpful, making eggs without the extras for us. Very impressed with that.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Wmjson
Barbara K, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is going through a full renovation of all rooms and public space. We are slated to be finished on the end on March. We hope to see you again