“credit card trouble”

Clarion Suites Downtown
Ranked #31 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 9 January 2012

So they told me they needed another credit card just to hold my room, that they would NOT charge my card. When I got home I checked my bank statements to find almost $700 dollars charged to my credit card when they said my credit card was just for hold! There was another credit card on file that all room charges were supposed to get charged to already. When I called them for answers, the receptionist sounded busy, got my phone number & said they'd call back & today is the 4th day, I haven't heard anything back from them. I'm calling them back today & if they don't send me a detailed summary of all charges, what does that say about them? That they don't need to give me the reasons why they took my money? I have kids I provide for & I'm not a rich person either. I'm looking for logical answers I still haven't gotten.

Room Tip: just ask the receptionist which floor or side is quietest at the time
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank molena k

Reviewed 28 November 2011

First couple of nights in Alaska after 20h flight from Europe, perfect location to visit the city and relax a little bit. The hotel is very simple, confy and clean. Rooms are warm and quite spacious. It's the best hotel to start your alaskan trip, wherever you are headed next. You are at walking distance to every attraction in anchorage, and not far from the airport. big parking lot in the front.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank sarosio
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed at the Clarion Suites Downtown in May of 2011 as part of a tour. This hotel is awesome. The rooms are huge! There is a sitting room with a couch and a tv when you first walk in, then there is a little room with a microwave and fridge across from the bathroom, and in the back is a room with the beds, and another tv. The beds were super comfortable. The hotel is easily within walking distance of the main part of the city and the Tony Knowled Coastal Trail. We walked to the weekend flea market in town one day (I definately recommend the salmon quesadillas that the sell there). It consists of a lot of artisan stands and food. And we rented bikes and rode on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail another day. There are two bike rental places that you can see from the hotel. Breakfast at the hotel was great, they had all the normal stuff - bacon, eggs, sausage, bagels, etc. plus a waffle station and the food was good. The staff was very friendly overall and there is a complimentary computer station with a printer for the guests to use.

The only concerns I had with the hotel were that at one point there was a wedding reception downstairs in their conference room when I went looking for a vending machine, and it was the loudest, craziest event I have ever seen, but there were rooms right across from it - I'm not sure whether they had guests staying in those rooms - maybe not. But, just to be sure I would ask for a room away from their conference room. Also, their shuttle is kind if nerve-wracking, we signed up for a time that would get us to the airport about 2 hours before the plane was due to leave. Luckily we were ready to go earlier, so they put us on an earlier shuttle (2 hours earlier). It turned out that the shuttle was running SUPER late, so we ended up getting there at the time we were originally supposed to. I felt really bad for the people who didn't give themselves extra time. So, if you do rely on the shuttle, give yourself at least an hour more than you think you will need - even if you are already playing it safe.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms around the conference room on the first floor (next to the reception area...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank NotAlexis
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed in the Clarion Suites Downtown Anchorage after disembarking from our cruise ship in Whittier. The front desk girls were friendly and helpful. We had a room with a king size bed reserved but since it was my mum and I travelling together we asked if it was possible to get 2 beds. We got to our room and it was awesome! there was a seperate living room area and two comfy queen size beds. The room was clean and the decor wasn't dated. We had the continental breakfast and it was quite good, much more than we were expecting. The toaster was a bit slow at toasting bagels, but thats pretty minor - it still got the job done. I hope I get to visit Alaska again someday, and if I do I would choose this hotel again no doubt.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank kayloves_snow
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel in July and found it to be great. The staff were more than helpful and our room was very comfortable. We needed a later checkout which was no trouble with no extra charge. The shuttle was available at all hours with no extra charges. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dellgaye
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We arrived at Clarion Suites after travelling for 24 hours and so were very tired. We had a warm and efficient welcome. Provided In the price of our stay was coffee making facilities, breakfast, and on tap tea and coffee in the dining room at all hours. We stayed twice and received excellent service on both occasions with free shuttle to and from the airport. The site of the hotel gives easy access to an attractive traditional houses and green space and sea edge walks. We highly recommend Clarion Suites.

Room Tip: South facing means you look over the grass and when we were there we saw geese grazing!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexina G
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I tried to take a shower at 7:00 a.m. but the water started out tepid then quickly turned cold, even though I turned the shower faucet to the (allegedly) hottest temperature. When I tried to wash my hands, the sink water was equally cold. I talked to three other people (in separate rooms) who tried to take showers in the morning and all of them were blasted with icy water. The breakfast room was over-crowded in the morning - people sat in the lobby and balanced plates on their laps to eat their breakfasts. I assume that the hotel was unusually full but come on, not enough hot water to take a shower in the morning?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business