“Just about perfect!”

Clarion Suites Downtown
Ranked #32 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We were in Anchorage for appointments and found this to be an excellent choice. Great location, helpful staff, and a well appointed room. We liked the room layout in that you entered a living space/desk, comfortable sofa, refrigerator, microwave, tv, etc, then the bathroom and then the bedroom(with 2nd tv) which was furthest from the hallway. The buffer zone made it perfect for sleeping and working at the computer, etc in the other room. Breakfast had a nice variety of items to chose from, including eggs, waffles, etc.. All the staff members were so helpful and encouraged us to let them know if there were any problems. Wondering about why it was "just about perfect"? Nasty parking lot/ unplowed berms which did get cleared late the 2nd day. We stayed two nights and look forward to using the Clarion Suites on return trips to Anchorage.

Room Tip: Pick the park side of the building. Even with a street below, our room was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Patricia S

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We've stayed at this property in the past while in Anchorage. The rooms are big with separate living & sleeping areas, two TV's, a couch, desk, mini fridge, microwave & coffee maker.
I don't drink coffee, but I did notice that there was only a single packet of decaf coffee provided. I'm sure this was a simple oversight by housekeeping and a phone call to the front desk would've fixed it if you were looking for some caffeine.
The breakfast is good. They had scrambled eggs, sausage, breakfast potatoes, cereal, waffles, toast, and bagels. In the past they've had bacon, but not this time. And they only had two choices of cereal. Still, it's ten times better than what some hotels call "breakfast."
The pool is tiny and was crowded both times we went to use it. The work out room has only three pieces of equipment that are in need of updating.
The room was clean, check in & out was efficient. The parking lot is too small & shared with a nearby restaurant.
The hotel does sit on a busy street, as do most of the hotels in downtown Anchorage.
You could do much worse than staying here.

Room Tip: A room on the parking lot side would have less road noise, but not the nicer view of the Park Strip.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AKStafford
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We frequently stay in the Choice brand hotels. This was our worst Choice stay. Uncharacteristically poor front desk service, lack of a senior discount, and stained bedding marred what would otherwise have been a lovely stay. The hotel is in a great location, right on the Anchorage Park Strip and just three blocks from the downtown arts, retail, and restaurant core. Rooms have a sitting area with a flat screen tv and love seat, a microwave and refrigerator, and a bedroom with another flat screen tv. Wifi and a very decent breakfast are free offerings. It's a shame to have to report that the bedspread had an obvious stain, which is a turnoff. The front desk clerk upon check-in was friendly and helpful; the checkout clerk, however, was indifferent to us and another guest. We complained about a charge for the in-room safe that we did not use, but the clerk refused to remove the silly charge. We booked the room at the Choice website, and for the first time ever could not bring up a senior discount rate. We had looked forward to the hot tub for our weekend getaway on a cold winter's night, but it was out of order! So was the swimming pool! We wondered - did the hotel intentionally close the pool room because there were Special Olympic athletes staying there? The staff did not seem to care about our disappointment, offered no discount, and could only offer a shuttle to another Choice property to use their hot tub - not an enticing option when it's 18 degrees, cold, windy, and snowy! We stayed here in 2009 when the hotel was under the Hawthorne Suite brand. We had no problems at all then, so expected the same good experience this time but were disappointed. It would not take much effort on Choice's part to fix these negatives and restore this property into a lovely place to stay in downtown Anchorage.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the park.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MarvinAnchorage
Reviewed 9 January 2012

So they told me they needed another credit card just to hold my room, that they would NOT charge my card. When I got home I checked my bank statements to find almost $700 dollars charged to my credit card when they said my credit card was just for hold! There was another credit card on file that all room charges were supposed to get charged to already. When I called them for answers, the receptionist sounded busy, got my phone number & said they'd call back & today is the 4th day, I haven't heard anything back from them. I'm calling them back today & if they don't send me a detailed summary of all charges, what does that say about them? That they don't need to give me the reasons why they took my money? I have kids I provide for & I'm not a rich person either. I'm looking for logical answers I still haven't gotten.

Room Tip: just ask the receptionist which floor or side is quietest at the time
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank molena k
Reviewed 28 November 2011

First couple of nights in Alaska after 20h flight from Europe, perfect location to visit the city and relax a little bit. The hotel is very simple, confy and clean. Rooms are warm and quite spacious. It's the best hotel to start your alaskan trip, wherever you are headed next. You are at walking distance to every attraction in anchorage, and not far from the airport. big parking lot in the front.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank sarosio
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed at the Clarion Suites Downtown in May of 2011 as part of a tour. This hotel is awesome. The rooms are huge! There is a sitting room with a couch and a tv when you first walk in, then there is a little room with a microwave and fridge across from the bathroom, and in the back is a room with the beds, and another tv. The beds were super comfortable. The hotel is easily within walking distance of the main part of the city and the Tony Knowled Coastal Trail. We walked to the weekend flea market in town one day (I definately recommend the salmon quesadillas that the sell there). It consists of a lot of artisan stands and food. And we rented bikes and rode on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail another day. There are two bike rental places that you can see from the hotel. Breakfast at the hotel was great, they had all the normal stuff - bacon, eggs, sausage, bagels, etc. plus a waffle station and the food was good. The staff was very friendly overall and there is a complimentary computer station with a printer for the guests to use.

The only concerns I had with the hotel were that at one point there was a wedding reception downstairs in their conference room when I went looking for a vending machine, and it was the loudest, craziest event I have ever seen, but there were rooms right across from it - I'm not sure whether they had guests staying in those rooms - maybe not. But, just to be sure I would ask for a room away from their conference room. Also, their shuttle is kind if nerve-wracking, we signed up for a time that would get us to the airport about 2 hours before the plane was due to leave. Luckily we were ready to go earlier, so they put us on an earlier shuttle (2 hours earlier). It turned out that the shuttle was running SUPER late, so we ended up getting there at the time we were originally supposed to. I felt really bad for the people who didn't give themselves extra time. So, if you do rely on the shuttle, give yourself at least an hour more than you think you will need - even if you are already playing it safe.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms around the conference room on the first floor (next to the reception area...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank NotAlexis
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed in the Clarion Suites Downtown Anchorage after disembarking from our cruise ship in Whittier. The front desk girls were friendly and helpful. We had a room with a king size bed reserved but since it was my mum and I travelling together we asked if it was possible to get 2 beds. We got to our room and it was awesome! there was a seperate living room area and two comfy queen size beds. The room was clean and the decor wasn't dated. We had the continental breakfast and it was quite good, much more than we were expecting. The toaster was a bit slow at toasting bagels, but thats pretty minor - it still got the job done. I hope I get to visit Alaska again someday, and if I do I would choose this hotel again no doubt.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family