Thanks to Tripadvisor and a fortuitously booked-out hotel situation in the town of St Paul, I discovered the Hotel Marc Hely, a gem of a hotel nestled in the outskirts of La Colle Sur Loup, a 7 minute drive over to St. Paul. It resembled (or was in a former life) a white stone French farm house with a lovely gravel drive, pale blue shutters and cypress trees. We booked our double room via the hotel's website for a very reasonable rate of 90 euros/night.
Here are the key points of our stay:
1. Location: The Hotel Marc Hely was near but (thankfully) not in the crazy tourist swirl that St Paul turned out to be. That place was completely jammed with tourists and guides with waving umbrellas- we fled back to La Colle after a couple of hours. Another handy aspect of the Marc Hely was that it was only about 15-20 minutes from the Nice Airport.
2. Room: Our room was furnished with creamy white bedding and wooden furniture, all done in a chic Provencal style. Out our front door, we had a stone terrace and grassy lawn with a majestic view of St Paul. Our room also had a minibar, green tea toiletries, a small flat screen TV and complimentary WiFi.
3. Breakfast: The Marc Hely's 10 euro/person breakfast was good value for money as it came with plenty of French coffee, juice, fruit, yogurt, a selection of cheese, French pastries and baguettes. This meal was served in the pretty glasswalled dining room which had a gorgeous view overlooking the lush French countryside and St Paul.
4. Pool: Alongside the hotel was a pleasantly quiet pool ringed with palm trees.
5. Service: The Marc Hely is owned by Kristina and her husband. We interacted mostly with Kristina who was very friendly and spoke great English. She loaned us a travel electricity adapter and gave several good restaurant recommendations in the area.
In short, we were extremely happy with our stay at the Hotel Marc Hely and definitely plan to return!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Travelocity.ca so you can book your Hotel Marc Hely reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.