“For Old School Locals Only”
Review of Joe Tess Place

Joe Tess Place
Ranked #970 of 1,532 Restaurants in Omaha
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2017

This South Omaha landmark enjoys a great reputation among those who grew up in the community. I recognized it immediately, having frequented many like it in my home in rural Louisiana. The menu does not change and nobody wants it to. It is the only place I have ever been that would charge you money to eat carp. And I have been to South East Asia and Africa. It is not clean, modern, organized, or innovative. They are completely unaware of this. It is Joe Tess Restaurant , not Joe Tess's. There is a good clue. I was the guest of local folks who insisted I would love it. I did not love it, but I felt at home. That's not quite enough. Tourists stay away. Its not hip. Its not ironic. Its just loud, cheap and dirty.

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed February 17, 2017

Went to Joe Tess Place for the catfish and the fried oysters and after peeling away the breading from the oysters we could not find the oysters in most of the pieces. The catfish was ok but all the food tasted like it was cooked in old grease. Would not waste my time going back, way to much wrong with this place!

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Ron A
Reviewed November 11, 2016

I remember when Joe Tess was primarily a bar with a small room on the west side used for the restaurant. And the quality of food has remained quite consistent over the years. It's fun to see how the menu has expanded with additional seafood and non-fish meals now. A friend and I went for lunch on a Friday. The sign said "Please wait to be seated", but the hostess looked up and said "Sit wherever you want to." Over the course of our experience, we had 2 different servers. The gentleman who took our orders was pleasant and seemed efficient, but when a different server delivered our meals, we didn't get what we had asked for. Somewhere along the line our "2 and 3-piece fish dinners' turned into a fish sandwich with a side of fries, and a 2-piece plate, with no potatoes. We asked for a correction and it was made. We had also asked for separate checks and were told "No problem", but we received one bill for both of us. The cashier separated things out for us. Food great...service, not so much; but in all fairness, having been a customer for at least 40 years, this was the first time for poor service. With odds like that, I'll be back!

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed October 26, 2016

I've been to this place at least a handful of times thinking that maybe just maybe it would be better than the last and because everyone seems to love it. Every time I have eaten there I am super disappointed. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank Cynthia C
Reviewed October 11, 2016

This place used to be great. However on my last visit the waitress was rude the food was drenched in oil and soggy. We waited for an extended period of time for our food. We will not be back anytime soon.

Date of visit: October 2016

Been to Joe Tess Place? Share your experiences!