“Fresh Fish”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2017

This is a fresh fish place with the fresh fish market next door we had heard about and wanted to try. We arrived early, before 5 PM and it was not yet busy. I had the Famous Fish which is one piece of breaded Carp and fried and comes with two sides. I had Jacket Fries and Cold Slaw. Jacket Fries have the potato skins left on. I don’t live in the area but if I make it back want to try something else on the menu. It seemed like it took a little while for our order but I am chalking that up to being fresh and prepared after we ordered.

Reviewed March 10, 2017

Well we ate at Joe Tess's in Omaha. Waitress was great and brought a trial piece of carp. I think fried carp must be an acquired taste or you need lots of malt vinegar or hot sauce to make it go down. Had the catfish. I like catfish and used both on it also. Wife didn't like it. To much deep fat fried, I think that is why I didn't mind it. I would do it again but might try more carp.

Reviewed March 7, 2017

This South Omaha landmark enjoys a great reputation among those who grew up in the community. I recognized it immediately, having frequented many like it in my home in rural Louisiana. The menu does not change and nobody wants it to. It is the only place I have ever been that would charge you money to eat carp. And I have been to South East Asia and Africa. It is not clean, modern, organized, or innovative. They are completely unaware of this. It is Joe Tess Restaurant , not Joe Tess's. There is a good clue. I was the guest of local folks who insisted I would love it. I did not love it, but I felt at home. That's not quite enough. Tourists stay away. Its not hip. Its not ironic. Its just loud, cheap and dirty.

Reviewed February 17, 2017

Went to Joe Tess Place for the catfish and the fried oysters and after peeling away the breading from the oysters we could not find the oysters in most of the pieces. The catfish was ok but all the food tasted like it was cooked in old grease. Would not waste my time going back, way to much wrong with this place!

1  Thank Ron A
Reviewed November 11, 2016

I remember when Joe Tess was primarily a bar with a small room on the west side used for the restaurant. And the quality of food has remained quite consistent over the years. It's fun to see how the menu has expanded with additional seafood and non-fish meals now. A friend and I went for lunch on a Friday. The sign said "Please wait to be seated", but the hostess looked up and said "Sit wherever you want to." Over the course of our experience, we had 2 different servers. The gentleman who took our orders was pleasant and seemed efficient, but when a different server delivered our meals, we didn't get what we had asked for. Somewhere along the line our "2 and 3-piece fish dinners' turned into a fish sandwich with a side of fries, and a 2-piece plate, with no potatoes. We asked for a correction and it was made. We had also asked for separate checks and were told "No problem", but we received one bill for both of us. The cashier separated things out for us. Food great...service, not so much; but in all fairness, having been a customer for at least 40 years, this was the first time for poor service. With odds like that, I'll be back!

Been to Joe Tess Live Fish Market? Share your experiences!