“GREAT CAT FISH DINNERS”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2017

Family and friends had different meals. My wife and I ghad the cat fish dinner, son had shrimp and chicken, I think others had the famous fish dinner(carp). All said it was good.

Reviewed June 28, 2017

I used to love Joe Tess. It was a South Omaha icon. My, how things change. From what I understand, the restaurant is under new managerment/ownership. The quality of the food has gone down hill drastically. Extremely greasy and it tastes like very, very old oil that everything is fried in. My husband had the catfish dinner and I had the fried oyster dinner. Within 20 minutes of leaving we had to pull the car off the road so I could get sick. I was fine before I went in and fine again about an hour after I got sick. I don't know if the food was poorly cooked or not stored properly. We will never eat here again. It's definitely not the same Joe Tess Restaurant.

Reviewed May 18, 2017

This is a fresh fish place with the fresh fish market next door we had heard about and wanted to try. We arrived early, before 5 PM and it was not yet busy. I had the Famous Fish which is one piece of breaded Carp and fried and comes with two sides. I had Jacket Fries and Cold Slaw. Jacket Fries have the potato skins left on. I don’t live in the area but if I make it back want to try something else on the menu. It seemed like it took a little while for our order but I am chalking that up to being fresh and prepared after we ordered.

Reviewed March 10, 2017

Well we ate at Joe Tess's in Omaha. Waitress was great and brought a trial piece of carp. I think fried carp must be an acquired taste or you need lots of malt vinegar or hot sauce to make it go down. Had the catfish. I like catfish and used both on it also. Wife didn't like it. To much deep fat fried, I think that is why I didn't mind it. I would do it again but might try more carp.

Reviewed March 7, 2017

This South Omaha landmark enjoys a great reputation among those who grew up in the community. I recognized it immediately, having frequented many like it in my home in rural Louisiana. The menu does not change and nobody wants it to. It is the only place I have ever been that would charge you money to eat carp. And I have been to South East Asia and Africa. It is not clean, modern, organized, or innovative. They are completely unaware of this. It is Joe Tess Restaurant , not Joe Tess's. There is a good clue. I was the guest of local folks who insisted I would love it. I did not love it, but I felt at home. That's not quite enough. Tourists stay away. Its not hip. Its not ironic. Its just loud, cheap and dirty.

Been to Joe Tess Place? Share your experiences!