“A study in expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Deco XV

Hotel Deco XV
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Los Angeles, California
“A study in expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Let me first preface this with respect to the lovely individuals who are forced to try and succeed with so little in terms of training, experience, and the tools to fulfill the promised extraordinary experience that the marketing materials promise. One might walk into the front lobby and be wowed by the restored 1930s era art deco stonework and intricate ceiling relief. After looking a little closer you will see paint caked on the ceiling in places, echoing what will become the theme of this review. Bad execution.
First and foremost, the Deco Promises an extraordinary experience. I suppose we could argue what this means and what sort of services one could expect from a hotel promising this, but I can only address the lack of expected services from even a lowly motel 8.
During a stay last January I was lucky enough to have flown in the day before an important Merrill Lynch corporate meeting being held in the conference rooms supplied by the Deco. For reference I was made aware that the hotel had been having trouble maintaining a reasonable occupancy rate until this weekend and would be the first time in over 5 months that the Deco had been at capacity. This particular morning a large portion of the guests were attending a series of meetings at 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. The fiasco that was that morning is indescribable when it comes to hotels. The Hot water supply was not correctly measured to the point that the showers everyone has been so enamored with would only supply ice cold water by 7:15 A.M.
If I could only illustrate the scene caused by some of the most affluent people in the world enraged by lack of such a simple amenity such as a warm shower I would surely be a successful writer myself. Alas this is not the case.
Early on in my relationship staying at the Deco I observed that the paint job around the halls and rooms seemed almost amateurish. Paint drop streaks on some of the walls gave the impression of cost cutting to the extreme. This has only been exaggerated by wear and tear over the last few months. Of recent note are the missing room numbers and water damage on the ceiling of the 7th floor. This is only made worse by the fact that the 7th floor contains some of the most unique rooms in the building.
There are guest rooms in the building that are so near mechanical hardware that sleeping in an otherwise deserted weekday downtown Omaha is nearly impossible. The whirring of machines was so terrible in one room that I asked to be moved at about 2 in the morning one night.
At this point I would like to address the relationship between the hotel and its room service supplier the Zin room. If I understand correctly the two businesses that are part of the same building are separate in management, but share the same ownership structure. The specific experience I am referencing took place on a Sunday prior to a flight out of Omaha, back to LA. I ordered breakfast and received the most depressing service. The food I received was late, cold, and generally horrid. It could have been good, but by the point it had made it to me it was inedible. The delivery boy seemed clueless about the food and did not understand why I was so upset. He left without even addressing the situation. After he left the room service cart and all in my room I noticed that there was decaying food on the tray cart.
There were good stays at the deco, but these situations are what I will remember. You can only claim to be a luxury hotel for so long before some one calls you on it.

Room Tip: rooms on the 7th floor can be exceedingly nice, but prior water damage makes me wonder whether the l...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank David G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Harlan, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Unbelievable service! Last minute stay - sisters flying in from both coasts. NYC sister comes in late - they picked up her, dropped her off @ our restaurant & delivered bags to our room. They treat you like royalty. Rooms spacious, modern & clean. Zin Room is an added bonus!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is one of the most impressive hotels that I have ever stayed at. It is in a wonderful part of downtown Omaha right across from the Orpheum Theater and within walking distance to many nice restaruants and bars. This hotel has many wonderful features that make it an incredible value. One of the most convenient is the complimentary valet parking. You simply pull your vehicle up in front of the hotel and they take care of the rest. All of the staff is very nice and helpful. Once you walk into your room you realize that you have entered a high level of luxury. The rooms are very plush and bright. The windows provide excellent views of downtown. The television is nice and has HD channels and there is an iHome sterio in the room. The best part, however, is probably the shower in the bathroom. It is probably one of the most unique shower experiences that I have ever had. There is a large shower head that points down and six smaller nozzles that spray horizontally. It is a very soothing experience and the shampoo that the hotel provides is very good. Adjacent to the lobby is the very unique Encore bar where complimentary Starbucks coffee is served in the morning. There is also complimentary newspaper in the lobby. There is only one minor complaint that I have about my stay at this hotel and it is that the elevators are very slow. Often, it was faster to just take the stairs. Overall, this was a wonderful hotel to stay at and I hope that I can stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tedsmith68
Midwest Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

I bought a Groupon for Hotel Deco and wish I hadn't. If I had not have prepaid for the hotel, I would have left and found another place to stay. Our experience was bad.

The hotel is in a good location in Old Market, but it's loud on weekends. We went for a nice and relaxing evening and barely got any sleep. The hotel is super noisy and the room doors only shut if they are slammed shut. The windows are old (some were cracked in our room) so there is no sound proofing from the outside. So we were kept awake until 3am listening to the music from the bars across the street from the hotel and the drunk people screaming and shouting. It was awful and earplugs didn't help.

The rooms at Hotel Deco are nice and we had a spacious and comfortable room. However, the bathroom was dirty with hair left from previous guests.

Most importantly, the service was bad - except for the valet which was good. As part of our Groupon, a $50 dining credit was included at the Encoure lounge. We had to wait to get our appetizers and drinks until a private party was concluded, two hours after we arrived. We were understanding and didn't have an issue with it. We waited two and a half hours until 8:30 to return to the lounge. The party was still lingering, so we decided to order our appetizers and drinks to have room delivery. It took over 2 hours for our simple appetizers to be delivered to our room. We went downstairs once to check on it and called once. Each time we were told 30-40 minutes and no one was ever apologetic. That amount of time and the poor service is ridiculous. In total we waited 4 and a half hours for appetizers.

I would not recommend Hotel Deco unless you plan on going out all night and not sleeping until 3am. Don't bother ordering food, unless you don't mind a ridiculous long wait. The service (except for the valet staff) is poor and your money will be better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank wanderlust678
Norfolk, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Girlfriends weekend in Omaha. Stayed in a queen suite overlooking Harney. Room was very clean and beautifully appointed. Love the decor. Shower is hot and amazing. Our group enjoyed drinks in the the encore lounge. Joshua was superior helping ensure our check in was efficient and our room accomadations met our needs. Valet service was respectful and responsive. Concierge was timely. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Marsha H
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Hosted our sales training in Omaha and had the team stay at the Deco - received only RAVE reviews from everyone. Way to make me look good :)

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sbooth17509
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I typically write reviews when I have an excellent experience or a really lousy one. This one is definitely the former. Full disclosure, I am not a big fan of Omaha per se, but this hotel makes it quite worthwhile.

First, location is the best. As anyone who knows downtown Omaha, there isn't a lot to do besides Old Market and a few others bars and restaurants. This hotel is located within walking distance to all the action. Hige plus, they have their own Mercedez drop you off in style if needed.

The rooms - get a corner one if you can. Really well lit, good sizes, excellent finish and amenities. Welcome change from the typical chain hotel. The bathroom showers are something else - basically a number of buttons and and an array of pressure points for the water.

I like the hotel's own restaurant as well. They have a $7 special for 7 selections for lunch which is a great deal. The late night food and cocktail menu at the bar is excellent as well. Overall an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business