All reviews gas station power plant front desk great hotel bob evans potatoes cookies waffles sausage off the highway hot breakfast a great stay the breakfast area other hotels refrigerator and microwave bed was comfortable one night stay
Reviewed August 21, 2016

The GOOD:
This newer hotel has comfortable rooms with modern facilities. The lobby is very current and comfortable with sitting areas that surround a fireplace, tv, lounge chairs and even built in bookshelves with a nice selection of complimentary books. The eating area is open and spacious, not like other Country Inn's that have cramped eating areas. In fact, the breakfast buffet is in one room while the sitting area is in another.

The buffet is very good with a wide selection of fruit, yogurt, waffle maker, fresh scrambled eggs, oatmeal, etc. I regularly stay at Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn, both of which also have complimentary breakfast and both only down the street a quarter mile. Country Inn has the best breakfast in my opinion as it it appears more fresh than the others. I especially like that Country Inn uses china and silverware (Holiday Inn Express uses stryofoam plates, Hampton Inn uses cardboard plates and both use cheap plastic utensils). The styrofoam and cardboard make me feel like I am eating cheap food in cheap hotels and are environmentally friendly.

Each staff member I encountered was very friendly and helpful, The beds and pillows were comfortable and the bathrooms were very modern with rain shower shower heads. Towels were soft and fluffy.

The NOT SO GOOD:
Two things bothered me about the bathroom. First, the toilet paper dispenser is located along the back wall on the left side of the toilet making it extremely difficult to reach. I had to reach behind my back with my left hand to access the TP. Whoever decided to place the dispenser on the back wall must have been a lefty and a circus contortionist. The toilets are the modern environmentally correct products with both the soft and hard flush option. The problem is that the buttons are on top of the tank. Again, one must be part contortionist to reach completely behind and press the correct button.

The T.V.'s are only 32". Very small for size of room and very difficult to view from the bed.

My biggest issue with this hotel is the location. It is located at the end of the strip of hotels just north? of it. It shares a common fence with the largest eye sore in the state of Illinois, the Springfield power plant with three huge smoke stacks billowing out pollution non-stop, 24/7. Yes, I understand it is a necessity but hey, I like steak but I don't need to see the slaughterhouses. The view however, is very quiet. Anyway, your choice of view is either facing this eyesore or facing directly into a Shell gas station. Literally, my room on the second floor overlooked the Shell Gas station roof and dumpster and was across from the delivery area of the station where the 18 wheel semi's stop to unload. The shell station is not across the street. It is ten feet outside the window. There is an empty lot right next to the Shell station and off the main road so I have to wonder why the owners did not build there.

BOTTOM LINE:
So if you have no issue with views, this hotel beats Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express on the breakfast and rooms/bathrooms. If you are going to spend anytime in the room, look elsewhere, especially since the rooms (I did not have a suite) do not have sitting areas, just a desk and chair. To be fair, there are no real good views from any of the dozen or so hotels within a half mile of this one and in fact, when I stayed at the Crown Plaza last year, I had a view of the power plant. However, what makes this worse is that it shares the fence and you literally stare right at the plant or, stare right into the gas station.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Despite all the good, I personally do not want to look at a dumpy power plant or into a gas station. But I know many of you will not care about that in which case, you will get a good valued stay for your money.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank bclaver1
Reviewed August 20, 2016

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2016

Booked the one bedroom king suite for a very reasonable price. Very comfortable. I like the Country Inns by Carlson as a rule. Hotel was not centrally located to downtown sites but everything we went to was was within an easy 10 minute drive. Parking in the historic downtown district was a dream (we paid less than $8.00 total parking in several downtown metered street spots or lots over 2 days),

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple