See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We just spent two nights/three days in Springfield. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Henry Mischler House. The number one advantage of this property is that it's right across the street from the complex of historic homes that have been painstakingly preserved by the National Park Service, including the Lincoln Home. It is the best part of Springfield. It is also within walking distance (about six blocks) of the Lincoln Museum, which most people visit when touring the City. The other important qualities of the Mischler House include the beauty of the house itself, the excellent and friendly service provided by the managers, and the very tasty breakfasts. I highly recommend staying here, especially if you enjoy the ability to walk to most of the historic attractions that Springfield has to offer. The only downside to this B&B is that some of the properties that are near it are run-down. I get the sense that Springfield leaders have done a decent job of providing historic attractions, but have totally ignored the neighborhoods. Too bad for Springfield -- it deserves a lot better. Springfield should invest in preservation of its historic urban neighborhoods. If that happens it will be a much more interesting place to visit.

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank RonSonomaCounty
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Great place to stay. Almost all historical sites are within walking distance with lots of places to eat. The inn is a great place to stay with all the personnel being very helpful. The breakfast we were served included orange juice, fruit bowl, and a casserole. I would definately stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank hartelr
Reviewed August 6, 2007

This is a beautiful establishment and the finest accommodation I have ever stayed in. Judy the hostess is wonderfully accommodating and welcoming and the house is straight out of the 1890s with the original features and antique furniture. It blends in perfectly with the lovely historic city of Springfield. Do not stay anywhere else other than the Mischler House - it is a fantastic experience

Date of stay: June 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank paularea
Reviewed April 6, 2007

My sisters and I spent two wonderful nights here and and couldn't have been more pleased with the accomodations. The amazing location made us feel llike we were living just houses away from Abe himself.
All of the personnel were most gracious and willing to go the "extra mile" from putting ice in our car cooler to snapping our picture relaxing on the porch swing. Twice we had had to cancel due to health issues and they were most understanding.
All in all, it was just a pleasant experience!

Date of stay: April 2007
1  Thank IllinoisBarbara
Reviewed February 19, 2007

First of all, the location of this B and B is wonderful. It is within walking distance to tourist attractions, restaurants, etc. In addition, the owner(s) have done a wonderful job decorating and restoring the house. Our problem was the "hospitality." Everything was fine when we arrived. The innkeeper was seemingly friendly and helpful. However, after talking to the other couple who was staying there, we discovered that she had told both of us (separately, of course) that the "other couple" had requested an 8:00 AM breakfast...and so that breakfast would be served at that time. It turned out that neither of us had said that, and we both would have liked to sleep in a little later. Anyway, my husband had told the person on the phone before our arrival that I have several food allergies, and would it be okay to just have something very simple for me like scrambled eggs. We have stayed at numerous other B and B's over the years and have never had a problem. So I wrote a note to the innkeeper the night we arrived and asked her if I could just have scrambled eggs or something. The note was in a place where it could not be missed. After we came out to eat breakfast, the innkeeper set a plate before me with french toast (which I couldn't eat). I was kind of embarrassed, and at the time decided to just sit there and not eat it. Finally, at the end of the meal she said, "Oh, you're not eating anything? I'm sorry." Then she took my plate away and did not say anything else about the food. Next she came and chatted with us, telling us and the other couple that she would be stripping our beds, etc. right away because there were more guests due to come. This was at about 8:45 AM, and check out is 12:00. She also made several comments like, "You'll want to get touring right away," and asked my husband to check out right away. We felt very rushed and unwelcome, and the other couple told us they felt the same way. In addition, both the other couple and my husband were disappointed with the variety and quantity of the food they were served. I would not recommend this B and B to anyone seeking a relaxing getaway.

Date of stay: February 2007