“Hmm...Just Okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Orange County, CA
“Hmm...Just Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel because of the convenience of free airport shuttle since the rental car desk at SPI would already be closed when my flight arrived at 10:45pm. When I made my reservation, I was told to call the hotel the day before to confirm the airport shuttle, which I did. When I arrived at the airport, no Crowne shuttle to be seen. I called the hotel to see if they were on their way, but the guy said he would head out now and be there in 20-25 mins. I thought the point of me calling the day before to confirm was so we wouldn't have to wait, especially after traveling for 8 hours already. =/ However, I do have to mention that the shuttle drivers we had were both very, very nice! Not sure if it's a mid-west thing, but I did definitely notice and appreciate that.

Check-in was fine, but the front desk girl didn't seem very knowledgeable. She kept on having to ask the other front desk lady what to do on the computer. Also, I am a new Priority Club Reward member so I was unaware that free wireless was offered to members until after I returned and read the reviews. It would have been nice if the front desk had reminded us that. There is a business center by the front desk, so I asked if I could print my boarding passes from there. I was informed that only one of the printers had ink. The next day, I wanted to get check-in online for my flight and print boarding passes, but the computer that was linked to the printer with ink was already taken. The other printer was free, but it had no ink, so that was rather inconvenient.

As for the room, it was nice, clean, spacious, and had decent closet space. The one issue I had was that the guest room doors shut very hard and very loudly. In the morning, about 6am, I could hear multiple doors slamming shut down the halls. Good thing I am a morning person, so it didn't upset me too much. It was just unpleasant not to be able to sleep in on a Saturday morning due to all the noise, especially after travelling long hours and getting to the hotel really late.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank syc81
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us Feedback. I apologize if we did not explain our shuttle procedures better. With the delays that flight times can have, we ask that our guests contact us when they arrive at the airport. Our shuttle drivers will depart the hotel right away. Thank you for complementing our drivers. I will be sure they are aware of your compliment.

I was disappointed to read you did not have a better experience with our front desk. We have recently hired several new agents and are working to get them up to speed. I apologize they did not provide you with the information in regards to free wifi. If you contact hotel, we would be happy to resolve this issue for you. Thank you for bringing to my attention the problem you had with our business center. I will address this.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I finally got to stay in this hotel after many years of admiring it from the outside. The room was nothing special whatsoever. The lobby is very nice, but the staff seemed stuck-up and looked at you like you were a criminal. Once was enough for me.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GetMeOuttaThisTown
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
I am sorry to read you did not have a pleasant experience while staying with us. I would certainly expect more from my staff, and considering how much effort we put into customer service, I was taken back to read some of your feedback. I have followed up with each department to ensure we are treating our guests with the respect they deserve. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your review and experience. Thank you.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Check-in was unusual, being on the second floor but it was very quick and pleasant. We were given a room on the 8th floor with two comfortable double beds with plenty of soft pillows and a huge bathroom. The bathroom was very clean and looked newly decorated with a lovely powerful shower. The room had a coffee-maker, fridge, iron, ironing board and hair dryer but no safe. Free parking was included in the large car park at the front of the hotel. Wi-fi was free in the lobby but $9.95 per 24hrs in your room. We signed on in our room but found that the fee had been waived when we checked out which was a nice surprise.
The hotel is a short drive from the centre of Springfield but there are plenty of good restaurants nearby, including Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, Arbys, Red Lobster, Smokey Bones.
Would happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. I truly appreciate your compliments of our room amenities and cleanliness. We do offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk free of charge.

We currently offer free wifi to all members of the Priority Club program. This is a free program that includes all hotels in the IHG chain.

I am glad to read your check in was pleasant. To offer an explanation as to why our front desk is located on the 2nd floor; it is to allow conferences to check in their attendees on the conference level.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I booked the Crowne Plaza very last minute on Friday afternoon. We were going to UIS to see a comedian and planned to spend the night but didn't make reservations in advance. Last time we stayed downtown and had a blast. Crowne Plaza is right on I-55 and in the middle of all the chain restaurants. Not really our kind of atmosphere but it worked. I got the room for $99 on Priceline vs. the quoted $139. The fact that I got a deal made me happy from the beginning. Check in took quite a while, probably longer than necessary. The front desk staff warned everyone there was a LARGE junior high group spending the weekend there. He wasn't joking! There were hundreds of them! It made walking through the lobby almost impossible and they were very loud early Saturday morning but that was the only time we noitced them. The room was great - very large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was huge. Great mirrors! We were totally satisfied. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Not sure if they have rooms that don't face I-55 but ask!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read the kids were not too much of an inconvenience during your stay. Thank you for complementing our rooms and our cleanliness; that is much appreciated. We are pleased to read you were totally satisfied. I hope we can count on your reservation next time you make a trip to Springfield.
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice in the past few years. Both were excellent stays. Nice rooms, good staff, nice pool, nice exercise room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
A simple review can go a long way. Thank you for taking the time to compliment our hotel.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

Big Prioirity Club member here and generally go for a Crowne Plaza if I can get a competitive rate. I got the rate, then got a little scared after reading some reviews on TA.

Important to note: while TA reviewers seem to delight in praising restaurants, and they seem to love ripping hotels - you'll find very few positive reviews. What convinced me to keep my reservation at this hotel was the way the GM responds to TA reviews.

At 100 nights plus a year, I'll tell you most stays are average and uneventful. Crowne Plaza was one of these stays. Staff checked me in, upgraded me when I asked and all the hotel systems were in working order. The hot water issue you may read about is no longer a problem - in fact the water may be too hot. It looks like they are due for a renovation in the near future, and I would welcome info on that - furnishings were a little tired.

This is a big property with something for everyone. I'd stay again -gladly so after a refresh. -the Farmer

Stayed April 2012
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for your review, Farmer. I appreciate you reassuring our guest that our hot water issue has been resolved. And to answer your question, yes, we will be making updates to our hotel in the near future. As the details to our updates are in the process of being finalized, I can only offer that we are very exited for what is to come. We have just recently installed 42’’ TV’s in all of our guest rooms, and we now offer complimentary internet to all members of the Priority Club program. We are in-the-works of making more great things happen! Thank you again for your review.
st. louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We had a wonderful weekend visit to Springfield, IL. Crowne Plaza was a wonderful hotel with all the amenities. We scored this hotel off of priceline. We enjoyed our visit our visit to the Land of Lincoln. The Lincoln Museum was fabulous. One of the best museums I've visited.

Room Tip: The higher the floors have less highway noise. Request a room away from the laundry center.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our city. We hope you will stay at the Crowne Plaza if you return to Springfield for another trip to the museum. Thank you for staying with us!