“Always a great Texican deal!”
Review of Border Cafe

Border Cafe
Ranked #3 of 641 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 12 February 2017

I have been visiting this restaurant for over two decades now and am thoroughly impressed at what endures: great service with frequent drink refills (into large glasses!), and amazingly low prices across the imaginative menu. It starts with the fresh, hot chips and tangy salsa. Whether the optional side order of guacamole (highly recommended) is "seasoned as in old Mexico" or not, it's an undeniable standout, like the wildly colorful, tongue-in-cheese wall art. I have happily sampled across the menu over time, from the Filet Mignon Jim Bowie Style and Chicken Fajitas, to the Mesquite Swordfish and the flaky, symphonic Corn and Black Bean Empanadas, to the surprisingly lively Mesquite Grilled Salmon Salad. Only the burgers have disappointed, being relatively bland and pedestrian, but that's on me. One does not go to an Indian restaurant expecting excellent Italian spaghetti, verdad? No desserts here, but plenty of delicious drinks to choose from. As a long-time student of and visitor to Texas and the American Southwest, I don't know what the erstwhile Louisianan Jim Bowie would have thought of his namesake filet mignon. But I certainly enjoyed it, and I feel confident that the old knife fighter and hero of the Alamo would have been a happy regular at the Border Cafe.

There are newer reviews for Border Cafe

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

This is a popular spot in Cambridge. Get there early on weekends as they don't accept reservations. They start you with chips and salsa and the chips are to die for. They are hot from the kitchen and covered in salt! They have a great selection of custom margaritas however I was a bit disappointed they didn't have any beers on tap (just bottles). The blackened chicken fajitas are awesome and came out promptly after we ordered. All in all a great meal and decent price...nothing over the top.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

We stopped in after a concert--no reservations, it just happened to be across the street from where we had parked. The service was prompt and pleasant. The place serves both Mexican and Cajun-style food. My daughter loved her strawberry margarita, and my wife thought her traditional one was very good. My wife had the steak and blue cheese salad; for under $9, it was huge, and very good. My daughter had the vegetarian fajitas, and I had the steak fajitas, served with sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and guacamole. Again, the portions were so large we took boxes home with us. The fajitas were fine, meat and vegetables perfectly done. For Boston especially, the prices were extremely reasonable. The only small complaint was with the rice and beans that they served on the side. The rice had so much raw garlic in it that after just a couple of bites, it was overpowering and we couldn't finish it. Everything else was good, and the combination of good food, reasonable prices and pleasant service will ensure that we return.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

The food here was excellent and the staff was so sweet! The environment was really relaxed and my wife and son loved the murals/paintings on the wall! If you do end up going here, I would definitely try out some of the Cajun style dishes, they are AMAZING

Reviewed 22 January 2017

Border Cafe is an excellent and reliable restaurant in Cambridge. The food is fresh and of an excellent quality, and the portions are so generous. The serve corn chips hot off the press and they're as good as you'll have anywhere. It annoys me somewhat that they keep taking your drink when you're not done so that they can get you another, because even though they don't charge you for it, it still feels like a bit of a waste at times. I'd definitely recommend the groucho chicken, which is so great that I'll keep going back to Border for as long as I'm in the USA. Excellent value for money!