“Not Just Fajitas & Combo Plates, Rather an Authentic Mexican Experience”

Jose's Mexican Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Jose's Mexican Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rindge Ave.
Transit: Yes, The Red line T, Alwife station.
Description: Jose's Mexican Restaurant has been serving the most authentic Mexican cuisine to the residents of Cambridge, MA. Come in for a truly delicious taste!
Reviewed November 2, 2016

Tucked away in a Cambridge neighborhood off of Mass Ave, a trip to Jose's is worth the drive for a charming and cozy restaurant feel with traditional Mexican dishes. While they do serve the staples found in other Mexican establishments, they also serve Yucatecan inspired tastes that are hard to find anywhere else. On this evening I tried the Chiles en Nogada, a sweeter dish due to the cream and walnut-base with lots of cheese. Camarones a la Diabla, Pollito Pibil, and Tamalaes de mi Tierra are all interesting selections that are worth indulging on future visits.

Carlos M, Owner at Jose's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2016

Thanks so much for the 4 stars! Glad to see that our Yucatecan cuisine was so impressive. Hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

Something has changed. Used to love going here at least 1x month.
Don't know quite what it is.
Certainly, it is worth a visit perhaps things have improved. See what you think.
Portions appeared to get smaller and the menu seemed less than inspiring (would have liked some "specials" for the regulars.
Look for on-line coupons (rhythms with ...).

1  Thank Tobias P
Carlos M, Owner at Jose's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2016

Tobias, it's a shame that we couldn't provide the same level of service we have in the past for you. I know we can do better, so I hope you'll visit us again soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2016

My husband and I had dinner at Jose's recently, and had I ordered a Tecate rather than the red sangria, I would have given a higher rating. The positives-the food, which was good, but not great, atmosphere and service; the negative-the red sangria. It tasted like watered down red wine with cinnamon flavoring-at the cost of $30 per pitcher. Very disappointing. We will return, but choose accordingly.

Carlos M, Owner at Jose's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2016

Susie, I'm glad you enjoyed the food and that you'll be giving us another try soon! However, I'm sorry that we couldn't impress you with our red sangria.

It's disappointing to hear that you thought it tasted watered down, but I want to make sure you understand that sangria traditionally includes fresh fruits and fruit juice for flavor, so it won't taste as strong as wine on its own.

Nevertheless, I'll be sure to look into why it may not have been prepared to our usual standards. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2016

Beware. Bland and overpriced food. I'm not sure how they managed to get the a piece of steak to taste recognizably like a piece of questionable protein. There was absolutely no type of seasoning on any of the "food" that was served to me. The kitchen really needs to step it up, salt and pepper exists (at the very minimum)!

Carlos M, Owner at Jose's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2016

Jessica, it's too bad you feel this way. We'll be sure to try harder next time. All the best.

Reviewed August 10, 2016

The food here is great you just won't be disappointed. They offer an extensive menu and I bet that you couldn't go wrong with any of their menu items. It was one of the few places close to Clifton Street where I was staying and it was totally worth it. Additionally the manager was very nice and if you speak Spanish he'll talk to you about things to do around the neighborhood.

Carlos M, Owner at Jose's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

Tatiana, this is really great to hear! Thanks so much for the 5 stars and the great review! Glad you had a great time at our spot. Hope to see you again soon!

All the best,