Mary Prentiss Inn
Charles Hotel(Cambridge)
Hotel Veritas(Cambridge)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsporter squareb bbreakfast and afternoon teaharvard squarehistoric housemass aveworking fireplacequiet streetminute walkevery afternoonjacuzzi tubrooms are lovelybreakfast was deliciousharvard law schoolthe ground floorvisit cambridgefree parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed at Mary Prentiss last weekend while visiting Cambridge for a family wedding. I was extremely impressed. The rooms were very clean and spacious, and the bed was extremely comfortable. Rooms even had brand new flat screen tv's, which I wasn't expecting at a traditional B&B. Staff was very friendly but respected privacy, and let us check out at noon even though normal checkout is 11am. Included breakfasts were excellent and just the right size, while tea time cookies and tea was great. The patio outside is a great place to hang out in a group or just for a relaxing cup of coffee or beer. The kicker is the location, which is walking distance to a number of shops, bars, restaurants and transportation on the T(Porter Square on the Red Line). I love visiting the Boston/Cambridge area since I used to live there, and I will certainly consider Mary Prentiss for all future trips. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Had front room which would have minor noise issues for light sleepers, but didn't bother me. Rooms off the patio would be hard in the winter, as you'd have to walk outside to get to breakfast. Great in the summer though!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank tjmoney44
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This Inn has nearly everything you could want in a B&B, minus the hospitality. We normally do not even like B&B's because of the hospitality...we like to be left alone & just like our privacy. Our other choices were booked. The staff here puts the "P" in privacy...their own. We had to learn the ropes on our own as to the services and amenities provided at the inn. Staff was very aloof, unfriendly, unhelpful, unaware of local events when asked. Woman who checked us in seemed annoyed to have to do so. The only instruction she gave us was to make sure we took our key with us as front door locks at 10. Period. Didn't point us in direction of room, tell us about breakfast sign up, mention afternoon tea. Nothing! Home and room was lovely. Sheets were wonderful. Pillows wimpy but bed fairly comfortable (nothing special, I suspect old mattress). Inn was clean. Room was small, translation, European. Breakfast was yummy and plentiful. Although options for breakfast were 8, 9, or 10 am. A little late for me to get my coffee. Snacks in room were nice touch on arrival, though not replenished on subsequent days. Location in Cambridge is a stretch to claim Harvard Square. Closer to Porter Square. I would choose differently next time mainly because of attitude of staff (breakfast waiter was only pleasant person we encountered other than other patrons).

Room Tip: Old house, long steep staircase to floors 2&3. With heavy luggage can be a challenge. Only room we saw was RM12 on second floor. Was quite small.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jisha
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I came to Boston with my family to look at colleges for my brother and to visit my family who
live in Boston. When we arrived at the Inn, we saw that it was a beautiful historic building. We were greeted by a friendly staff when we entered and they brought us to our beautiful suite ( room 14) with a loft bedroom, and we settled in comfortably. We were pleasantly surprised by he gourmet meals served at breakfast that we were allowed to sign up for the day before. There were many delicious choices with everything made fresh to order. When we came back to the Inn after a long day, we were again pleasantly suprised to find gourmet tea and fresh baked cookies waiting for us--The strawberry jam shortbread thumbprint cookies were my favorite. The Mary Prentiss Inn is centrally located and we were able to hop on the T train very easily. It was a ten minute walk to Harvard and Harvard Square which was a very historic and interesting walk. I would definitely love to go back to the Mary Prentiss Inn the next time I visit Boston.

Room Tip: We loved room 14! It was a very comfortable accommodation for 1 adult and 2 children. There was also a kitchenette in the suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Elizabeth Y
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This historic property has great potential, but currently does not measure up to expectations. The rooms, especially if you are on the top floor with the pitched roof, are SMALL with no desk space. The property is definitely not for anyone with physical limitations - narrow steep stairs must be managed often in poorly lit conditions. Our arrival was similar to another reviewer's - we arrived @10 pm in 25 degree weather where we waited for the night manager, similarly not professionally attired, to let us in (I guess good for security). However, there was no attempt at pleasantries - we were handed a key and told to go to the top floor. That was it. We had to figure out how to arrange breakfast - you must sign up on a schedule for set times (not early enough if you have business meetings). We had a non-working clock and light which we reported to the desk the following day - "Oh, we depend upon guests to let us know these things" was the response.

We found the staff pleasant enough when you engaged them, but none displayed any interest in us nor made any offers to help us with our plans or .... We were glad that our intended 4-day stay was only 2 days.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor and the one over the kitchen - we were wakened by the noise and grease smells far earlier than desired. Make sure you ask for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

So I arrived late (10ish) on a Sunday and was greeted by a note on the door asking me to use the bell to ring the night manager (good), who promptly came to the door in his shorts and "wife-beater" (less than good). Kindly provided the key to my room, which was good... Except for the faint whiff of mildew/mold one got as they entered the room. The room was spacious and nice at first glance, but then you notice the peeling wallpaper at several places, the gaps in the quaint bathroom tile trim and the trim paint that was in terrible condition throughout the room's baseboard. Other than that, it was pleasant... Good location and good staff. If a few details were take care of this would be a 5 in my book.

Stayed: March 2012