“Great bed but that's about it”
Review of Quality Inn North

Quality Inn North
Ranked #69 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great bed but that's about it”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed here with my two children. The facility is aged. Had a room on the second floor and when got to room, noticed someone had jammed a towel in the "locked" outside door to the hallway. When getting ice, also noticed that a first floor outside door had a broken lock thereby letting anyone into the hotel. Our room was ok...carpet was dirty around the edges. The beds had terrific mattresses. No sign of bedbugs (had checked website Bedbug Registry and no sign of this hotel on it). There was a big birthday party in the hotel's conference room, but fortunately wasn't too loud. However, noticed vomit in the hallway the next morning while on my way to the exercise room. The continental breakfast was terrible...Fruit Loops and Frosted Flakes, small stale bagels, tiny lemon poppyseed muffins, and coffee. Zero healthy alternatives. Overall, decent beds but that's about it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed one night on our travel to NY. It was 98 degrees outside and the air conditioning was off in the the room. We turned it on and it never did cool down. The sheets were dirty and there was alot of mold on the inside of the shower curtain. Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill195753
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We checked in to this hotel on July 3 and, upon being given the electronic key and directions to our room, found the "secure" door propped open by a brick and a sign that said the lock was broken "sorry" -- and we went to the check-in clerk and indicated our concern. We also stated we were going to dinner and if the lock was not fixed, we would not stay. Upon our return, the lock was not fixed so we left. The only reason I didn't give the hotel a "terrible" rating for service is because the hotel clerk was wonderful The hotel's check in clerk was very helpful in trying to locate another Choice Hotel room for the night - but that does not fix the security problem. Also, I noticed that someone else posted the "towel" blocking holding the door open in June - so this is obviously an ongoing problem. DO NOT STAY HERE until the security lock is fixed - it is UNSAFE. I attempted to contact Choice Hotels Corporate office three (3) times and each time got the "72 hour investigate and respond" automatic reply. They have not contacted us yet - and it is now July 19th (you do the math: that' is 16 days!) I repeat - do NOT STAY HERE until this is fixed.

Room Tip: Do not stay here until the security locks are fixed.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaroonSiwash
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We had two rooms; one for my brother, his wife, and my 1 yr old nephew, and another for my son and me. Our room was fine.. except for that it was supposed to have a microwave, but there was just an empty space where it should have been. We asked the front desk for a microwave the first night we were there, but never received one during our three night stay. Maybe they forgot? No big deal.

As for my brother's and his family's room(s)... a nightmare. We arrived into Richmond late at night after a long 15 hour drive from Chicago. When we got in, we all unpacked all of our things, and were getting ready for bed. My sister-in-law went to take a shower, and there was actual raw sewage coming up from the sink and bathtub in their bathroom. It smelled HORRIBLE!!! The front desk was very apologetic and gave them a key to a new room. My son and I helped them repack up all of their things and carry everything down the hall. When they arrived in this new room, the toilet was broken; It didn't flush. At all. Needless to say, my sister-in-law and I had to go back to the front desk and ask for yet another room. The third room they were given was much better than the two previous, except for the fact that when we were unloading our things from the car while in the parking lot, we noticed two men and a woman exit their room via the patio door. We weren't sure if it was their room or what the heck was going on at this point. We went back to the front desk for the fourth time, and they reassured us no one else had keys. Exhausted, we went to their room, no one was there, but had left/forgotten a present in the toilet without flushing. We had no clue who they were, why they were there, or if they were coming back. My sister-in-law was a little freaked out, but my brother reassured her everything would be fine. Weird.

The pool was disgusting, filled with garbage, bugs, and just generally unkempt, period.
The little 50's diner next door is really cute.
And everything else was just ok.

It was worth the $60/night, but I would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank leblancmama
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 June 2011

After check in I went to get ice. The ice machine was missing. I went to the front desk and they said the only other ice machine was in another building. I went to the other building and I noticed that the door were being kept from completely closing by pieces of towel. When I found the ice machine it was totally covered in mold. When I went back for more ice I noticed the towel pieces holding the doors open were gone. I realized that they were holding the doors open because the hotel key cards didn't work on the doors. Turned out that only one door per building had a working door. I had to walk all the way around both buildings to get in.

The next morning when I went to take a shower there wasn't even enough water coming out of the spigot to make the shower head work. I called the front desk and the phone range for 20 minutes. I went to the front desk and there was no one there. I flagged down one of the cleaning staff and they took me to the laundry room where the front desk guy was. It turns out he's in change of the front desk and doing laundry. The laundry room is all the way at the opposite end of the hotel from the front desk. He then gave me a key to another room down the hall. When I went to that room is was evident that someone had just checked out and the room hadn't been cleaned. I then went back to the front desk to get another room. Again I had to track the front desk guy down in the laundry room. Finally on the third room, I had a clean room with a working shower.

I will never stay at this hotel again. The original room was clean enough, but it's obvious that the hotel isn't being maintained properly.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Napoleonva
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Pet Friendly Place. Best i can say. After driving 9 hours, we were happy to see that the rooms were very clean and the staff polite.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MaryMacTree
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2010

This motel was very nice. The room was large. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. We didn't really care for the grab and go breakfast, but it is good for someone that doesn't have time to sit and eat in a dining room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
6.5 km away
0.7 km away
Best Western Plus Glen Allen Inn
19.0 km away
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South

Been to Quality Inn North? Share your experiences!