New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
hpt
“Too many GOOD things....?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Ok, I will admit I am a fan of most Hilton Hotels....this location is superb. (I could stop here....)
The guest services, parking (both surface & garage) with valet & self parking WITH NO FEES...
I visited this past weekend, and although a mega conference was being held there..outside of lean parking you would be none the wiser. It remained well staffed in all key areas and supplies were in abundance and staff was warm & friendly. I love Shulas and their staff...they SMILE & GREET us like family each time we visit....so much so, I am shown pics of their kids on their Iphones...the executive floor is a treat! I love the place...although this visit it stormed & the wireless internet went down for many hours...we simply went to the lobby and enjoyed the festivities of a group which rented out the rooms for the night...it was fun being without wireless and was really glad to not have it after all.......There is a TON of shopping within 1-2miles (CheeseCake factory, Stein Mart, Wal-Mart, D&B, Movies, etc....)

Room Tip: Opt for floor 8
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I'm a fan of Hilton, so was very pleased to find a room available on an incredibly busy weekend with kids lacrosse and a social workers conference in town. My son and I stayed two nights, and one of the days we had work to do. The in-room kidney shaped desk with nested pull out surface at laptop height was perfect, we could sit side-by-side and the hotel cheerfully brought up an extra chair. (Aside- that Herman Miller desk chair was amazing! I want one!).

The beds and pillows were wonderful, sheets and towels fluffy, bathrooms sparkling. The pool was nice, whirlpool relaxing. But as in many hotels, there were too many kids unattended by parents. Not that the parents weren't paying attention, but they weren't even in the area. This is not only a potential problem for others trying to enjoy the pool if the kids don't have good manners, but a huge liability for the hotel. Not good. This was after the families with lacrosse players left, so it wasn't members of those teams.

I found the staff really cheerful and eager to help. When I decided to look into staying a second night, I told them I was going to leave but if they could give me a better rate, I'd stay. They did, and I'm glad.

____The achilles heel of the place is the restaurant.____ Not the bar, but the restaurant (read on for my kudos to the bar. But the restaurant? What a downer the setting and breakfast buffet was for such a great property. It looked like an afterthought, like a room that was left over that they decided to stick a bunch of tables in. The booths were uncomfortable, with high backs upholstered with fabric so "busy" it was distracting. Having formerly worked for an interior design firm that specialized in business, resort, and senior living properties, I can tell you this was a very bad choice. The breakfast buffet was expensive and really mediocre. The only saving grace was the omelette bar, everything else was just ok. The staff seemed overwhelmed and the place was only half full and it was, after all, a buffet.

The bar on the other hand, located adjacent and open to the lobby, was great! We had "burger of the week" (maybe it was "of the day"?) for $8 and it was very good. Salads, not so much.

So, when I next go, I will probably eat elsewhere but will enjoy the hotel overall again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I recently stayed here while travelling for business and was fairly satisfied with this hotel. The location was pretty decent if you're looking for something in the Short Pump area. It was about a 20-30 minute drive from the airport (no shuttle is offered), but the hotel was close to the highway and easy to get to. I don't think it was close to any real "destinations", but there were numerous restaurants and shops close by including a mall that was easily walking distance.

The hotel was surprisingly large and looks to be relatively new. The lobby was fairly small and "sterile" and looks directly into the bar area of Shula's (reviewed separately). There was also a small coffee shop located in the lobby area for morning pastries and snacks. I was given a room on the 8th floor (Executive Level) so I'm not sure how it compares to the rooms on other floors, but it was extremely large and was clearly designed with a business traveler in mind as there was ample space for "living" as well as a large rolling desk for work, which was much appreciated. There was a small fridge but no microwave in the room (microwaves were available in the Executive lounge). The bathroom was large as well with ample counterspace and plenty of towels. Overall the room was very clean and worked quite well for my stay.
The Executive Lounge was fairly disappointing compared to those I've seen at other Hilton properties. Breakfast was available in the morning and was extremely limited. They did offer cereal, yogurt, toast/bagels, cut up fruit (which was not exactly fresh), oatmeal, and 1 hot option, but it was pretty lackluster. The evening reception mainly consisted of packaged snacks - they do offer adult beverages as well, but be advised that there is a charge for these drinks (no signs posted on this). It's difficult to complain about something that is offered complimentary, but this Executive Lounge is certainly not something to get excited about. If I hadn't been upgraded due to HHonors status, I wouldn't have paid extra to stay on this floor.
The fitness room was surprisingly small considering the size of the hotel but did offer a few treadmills, 3 ellipticals, bikes, and a few free weights. It can get very crowded in the mornings during the week and I actually had to wait to use a machine, so plan accordingly. There is also an indoor pool available along with a hot tub.

As a whole, I was pleased with this hotel and wouldn't hesitate staying here again if I'm ever in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
foodappreciator
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Hotel is very modern, light and airy. Rooms are well appointed with large showers. Spotlessly clean everywhere. Staff were very professional but also helpful and friendly. Only downsides were slightly warm gym and lack of draft beers at the bar! Other than that was great and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

I normally travel to the Hilton downtown because it is closer to where my meetings are held, but after staying at the Hilton in Short Pump I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was and all it had to offer. The front desk was very helpful and to drive to my meetings wasn't that bad. I travel from DC a few times a year and to get out of the city felt nice. I loved all of the close shopping and several different restaurants to choose from. Normally when you stay at a hotel there is one or two restaurants very close. But with the mall within viewing distance there are over a dozen different places to eat. The best part is they have a spa! I have been traveling to Richmond for 5 years and have never seen a hotel that has a spa inside of it! The girl at the front desk gave me a tour and it is different, but very nice, clean and quiet. I did not have time to get any services this time because my schedule did not allow it, but I will be returning to get a massage and pedicure the next time I come to Richmond.
Just a beautiful hotel, I felt like I was in a big city without all of the hustle abd bustle of one! Very Refreshing!

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker be sure to ask for a non smoking floor. They also allow dogs and if you are...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

The staff is welcoming and helpful the minute you walk in the door. Our room was spacious, immaculate and comfortable. This is a property that takes pride in what they do. The onsite spa looked good, but we didn't have time to use it. Breakfast buffet was included in the price, and had an omlette station that was very good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I absolutely love this property. This was our second stay, and the location is prime. The rooms are luxurious, and the convention center venues are extremely nice. The complimentary hygiene products are name-brand, and the staff is warm and welcoming!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends