“An Okay stay”

Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Waynesboro, VA
“An Okay stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The mattress wasn't that comfortable as other chain hotels. The service was good. The pool area could use some updating. The pizza we ordered from room service wasn't that good at all. The kids and ate the toppings off of it as the crust didn't seem done. Great location to downtown Richmond. Bowling alley cross the street.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Motadean,

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I am pleased you found the hotel location convenient to downtown Richmond. I apologize you found the mattress wasn't comfortable and the food served during your stay did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback regarding the pool area as this is our best resource for improving what we offer. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Best Regards,

Lera M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed over the Memorial Day weekend. Got a great deal on Hotwire for $52 a night which I was estatic about. We were in town for an AAU basketball tournament and the hotel was full of teams from all over for not only basketball but soccer and softball tournaments as well. The staff was great, were always looking to please. The restaurant staff was friendly and attentive. Yeah the hotel could use a little updating but for the money I couldn't have been happier. Would have liked more channels to choose from in the room but overall we had a great stay. I do agree with some of the other reviewers the elevators could be a pain with buttons night lighting up and you didn't know if the elevator was actually coming back down when trying to go back up to the room. I would stay here again. Room was great and the restaurant and hotel staff was great as well. Could use a little updating on the exterior and elevators but overall I was happy with the Crown Plaza.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
baltimore
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We read some bad reviews of this hotel and were SOOO!! surprised when we checked in ,the palce is beautiful,the staff is great,the rooms are nice and clean ,and the price is reasonable..There is a nice bar area and you can walk to an Irish pub..Would stay here anytime !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamaicadelite
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel, through Hotwire, we had expected it to be more toward the Innsbrook area and a newer facility. As we all know Hotwire doesn't tell you the name of the hotel until after you pay for it, non refundable. We got there and were placed towards the rear of the building. That was fine or so we thought. As we were heading out for the afternoon we noticed people setting up for a party in the banquet area. No problem or so we thought. When we returned to clean up before dinner the party had begun. Around the banquet area and the elevators, that we needed to use to get to our room, there were women dressed in "stripper" clothes and A LOT of men. It made my wife and I very uncomfortable and concerned about the nature of the party. We asked to have our room moved and the hotel did allow us to move. However it left us feeling very uneasy for the remainder of our stay. We did finally find out what the party was when we returned from dinner. A swingers group, we know this because there was a banner for the group hanging near one of the entrances to the banquet area. After we checked out of the hotel we contacted the management to seek a refund for our stay and to discuss the matter. They would not give a refund and thanked us for the information regarding the group, as they had future bookings. They offered 1000 points in their club, which is basically 1/25th the cost of a night at their hotels and insulting. DO NOT STAY HERE! BOTTOM LINE

Room Tip: Best advice I can give you is to not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Butch G,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Moncure, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2012

If I paid the going rate for this hotel, I would have felt ripped off. The room was adequate and clean enough, but nothing special, The elevator and pool had extensive wear and tear and made me feel like I was in a 1 1/2 to 2 star hotel, not a Crowne Plaza. Some elevator buttons would not light up, and it would go the wrong way and make scary noises. The pool was poorly lit and while the water looked clean, the areas surrounding the pool were in rough shape. And no staff checked on things while an extended period of rough play by other guests was occurring. The exercise room was sparse. It was a below average hotel but if you can get it cheap, it's an okay choice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear tiedyeclothingdotcom,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad that you found your room accommodations clean and comfortable. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory due to the condition of the elevators and the pool area, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Karen C
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a business trip with the expectation that this would be like other Crowne Plazas. I have learned that each location is independently owned and operated. The lobby is lovely. The hall and elevators are filthy and the elevator is in risk of breaking. The rooms are old and dirty - I tried two different rooms on the fifth and fourth floor, and the wireless Internet never did connect. The staff seem eager to please, but the hotel is in need of cleaning. Updating would also be recommended. I did not dare use the coffee pot or order room service. I recommend staying at the nearby Westin if you can afford it, or the Marriott Residence Inn which I hear is much more comfortable. I should have read reviews before booking!

• Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Gr8greta,

Thank you for your recent stay, and providing feedback. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received, but pleased the staff was a highlight of your stay. We are always working to be the best we can be, and feedback like your will help us to accomplish this. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
IHG Care
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stay in ICH hotels on a very regular basis (Platinum Elite member) and this property is one of the worst I have seen. Getting off to a rocky start I had to repeatedly punch the elevator button to get it to engage. The elevator sounded like it was on its last leg. The room was roomy but dark. Small tube-type TV, limited channels. The drain stopper was broken off and there was a large chip and crack in the bathroom sink. I always run water through the coffee pot before I use it and when I poured the water in a lot of debris and scum floated on the water. Needless to say I did not bother to make coffee. Although I had a coupon for breakfast I did not feel comfortable using it. I would expect this kind of quality at a lessor brand chain, NOT at what is considered to be the upscale brand for InterContinental Hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear John_Galt_828,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for being a Priority Club Platinum member. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Reference # 27748053
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
0.2 km away
1.1 km away
Best Western Executive Hotel
1.0 km away
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!