“Devil's Mess - worth the visit”
Review of Millie's

Millie's
Reserve with OpenTable
Millie's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 1,846 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$13 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Diner, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed September 4, 2018

Visited on a Saturday morning during a recent holiday weekend. Easy walk from hotel right down Main Street. Thought the Devil's Mess description on the menu to be interesting and seeing it was a house specialty - I went for it, and glad I did. I enjoyed the mix of heat and spice along with the sausage and vegetables - not a combination I would try at home - but thoroughly enjoyed. Sat at the bar and enjoyed the colorful interior and attentive wait staff.

1  Thank djaungst66

Reviewed August 6, 2018

This was our 2nd visit to Millie's, but we liked the 1st much more than this 2nd. The setting is interesting, as is the menu. Service was just okay, for Saturday or Sunday Brunch, be prepared to wait...outside. You can get drinks, but my Mimosa was mainly ice, with a little bit of champagne and less orange juice. They are noted for their "mess" plates, which is a frittata-type preparation with different ingredients - it looks a bit of a mess, but my wife said it tasted good, and a large portion. I like Eggs Benedict, which they did not offer, but had variations. I got the one with smoked salmon and bagels with Hollandaise sauce. Turned out to be a mistake; large bagels, small eggs - not poached properly and a little bit of some type of sauce, no flavor at all. Presentation was not appealing, but the poached eggs didn't qualify - even as soft boiled, and they were very small, so it was more than disappointing. Service was not great, but they were very busy, and the inattentiveness was not annoying. It is a funky place, so it has character, maybe even a little edgy. Overall, it would have to be rated 'hit or miss'. We decided not to go back, we had one hit, one miss - we will take a chance on something else.

Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

I decided to come back...This time was an interesting menu choice, which I went for it.
Appetizer:
Peruvian anticuchos skewer $11 (beef heart)...great flavours, but not all the beef heart cubes were grilled properly. Not well seasoned, the spicy chili sauce was overpowering...I could taste the heart still beating!
Main meal:
Butter Poached Monkfish $25. Originally I wanted the pan seared scallops, but I wasn’t fond of with the flavours that the chef was pairing it! I requested nicely to switch the pairing of the monkfish with the scallops and the waitress denied my request.
The monkfish was lovely, very tasty very well prepared, very well presented, but the pairings that came on the plate were cold (confit fingerling potatoes etc).
This week’s menu wasn’t to my expectations, Peruvian flavours have so much to give. I am not sure, but maybe the chef lost in translation with his dishes!
*On a “fine diner” like that and a meal that cost you $50 per person with a drink...I am expecting more from that...not just a pretty plate.

Reviewed July 17, 2018

There are times that I wish Tripadvisor would allow fractional stars and this is one of those. Because truthfully 3 stars is a bit too harsh for my experience at Millie's but 4 stars wouldn't accurately convey my feelings about this restaurant either and in the end, 3 stars is what I am going with.

I should also note at the outset that perhaps my rating would have been higher had it not been for the terrible hassle of trying to get a parking spot next to the restaurant. But as it so happens on the Friday evening we found ourselves here, there had been an accident in the close proximity of the restaurant and the many first responders out here, along with their vehicles, made it practically impossible for us to get a parking spot closeby. Eventually with the help of a waiter from Millie's, we were able to park right next to the restaurant but that is after having struggled for some 20+ minutes.

On to the experience itself: we got the griddled pupusas as an appetizer, while my wife got the rainbow trout and I had the duck leg confit. The griddled pupusas were a item I have never come across before and they were flavorful. My wife enjoyed the trout she ordered but I was less pleased with the confit. I have had better confit before and I also admit that I was a bit surprised by the dish because its name "Duck, Goat and Goose" had made me think incorrectly that the dish included all three meats. The food was still of a quality high enough that we were open to getting a dessert and we did; we ordered the semifreddo with pound cake. Again, I found it fine but nothing exceptional. The texture of the semifreddo was also not as creamy and smooth as I expected.

Had it been just the food itself, I think I would have been somewhat more favorably disposed and given this place 4 stars but there were two other things that distracted from my experience and brought my rating down to 3 stars. First, I found one of our servers to be unfriendly. She brought out our appetizer but put it on the table without saying a word and did not acknowledge us either when we thanked her for bringing the item out. Second, when I used the men's restroom, I found the flush was not working. Ordinarily I would have brought this to the attention of a manager but because I was frazzled with parking, I didn't want to talk to someone about it at that point. However, not having the flush work was also unpleasant.

Would I come to Millie's again? Probably not, unless I found that they were offering 1000-points on Opentable for making a reservation (which I used in this case) or perhaps if I found myself right in this area and did not want to search for a new place per se. My wife in any case enjoyed her food more than I did and she might be more supportive of us coming to Millie's.

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Excellent food all the time, but the brunch specials are always amazing. The inventive nature of the hef makes for some amazing plates. Prepare to wait for a table, but there is no wait as worthwhile as this one.

1  Thank Stephen M