“Amazing Food, Spectacular Service”
Review of L'Opossum

L'Opossum
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Opossum is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I travel for work and try to find new spots in different towns. I happened upon L’Opossum thanks to Trip Advisor.

When dining, I look for carefully thought out meals that blend flavors and spices artfully. L’Opossum exquisitely prepares and layers flavors. I had the Timbale special for my appetizer and the crab cakes for dinner. I sat at the bar, where Will deftly and gracefully handled the bar while ensuring the bar crowd was well taken care of with both food and drink.

Quite honestly, the Team set the tone before the food arrived and let me know that this place and people were special.

The crab cake was full of crab as detailed in the menu, but it was a tower of Pickled Onions, crab cake, spinach, and fingerling potatoes. One would expect the spinach to make the potatoes soggy or mushy, but alas each layer stood on its own. Very tasty!

Finally I finished with the Chocolate Flambé. It was rich dark chocolate topped with fruit.

After visiting on a whim, I will definitely make sure L’Opossum is a regular stop on my travels. Thanks, Will & Sam for your authentic Southern Hospitality!

1  Thank NOsFood

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A chance to dine here was a big reason why we chose to come to Richmond for a special Easter.

Because Southern Living Magazine recently chose this restaurant as number one in the South, reservations typically need to be made weeks in advance. Since our visit to Richmond was made somewhat spur of the moment, we could not make reservations and came in a little after 5 p.m. looking for a spot for two. Sam greeted us at the door and was extremely gracious, knowledgeable, and welcoming. He looked after us well and after about thirty minutes a place came open at the bar, which we gratefully took (in fact, we love sitting at the bar). The bartender was one of the best we have ever seen; no wasted motion and extremely attentive and friendly - really knows his craft.

We learned that the restaurant name has several possible meanings. One is that it signifies the restaurant's attempt to meld Southern with French cuisine, in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner. Another is that the owner/chef was out of the restaurant business for awhile, playing possum, before getting back into it in a highly successful way. It was obvious to us that both the bartender and chef/owner are highly esteemed by the large group of regulars who swear by this restaurant.

The location is in a downtown residential neighborhood; the neighborhood is not fancy, but has an array of interesting bungalows, and everything is tidy. The restaurant also is not fancy and the menu is not exhaustive, but boy are the food and service good! The drinks are awesome (a featured current special is the Dark Stormy Daniels).

I ordered the filet ("beef swellington") and my wife ordered the crab cakes. First let me say that the portions of each entree were very generous ... none of this cute little portion thing that some acclaimed restaurants are apparently so proud of. And the quality of the product and preparation was superb. The filet was extremely flavorful, which sometimes is not the case with filet, and cooked exactly medium rare, as requested. The crab cakes had fresh fresh crab in large quantity, with no fishy taste or smell or over-seasoning ... just crab cake, which has its own delicate and memorable essence. The restaurant does not have a large staff, but it is a very synergistic group that is always unobtrusively at the right place at the right time. The creme brûlée and coffee for dessert were the perfect finish. Saying that a meal is the best ever is impossible, but I can say this is as memorable a dining experience as we have had. Three cheers.

2  Thank CarolinaTrekkers
Reviewed 14 March 2018

There are so many other reviews that hit the mark on describing this unique dining experience but I will add my thoughts...

First, just because finding parking may be a bit of a challenge in this somewhat run down neighborhood DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT let that stop you from making a reservation. Speaking of reservations, upon our arrival I realized I had made a reservation for the wrong night...OH NO! However, the host was so kind and accommodating and offered us a table for 4 anyway at 6:15 on a Tuesday night. This was great news considering the place was already bustling except for a few seats at the bar. Side note: this is a small restaurant so do make a reservation!

The atmosphere was such fun with unique artwork, lighting and choice of accessories. As someone else mentioned, it is a bit dark for my aging eyes but that is not a complaint. There were groups of all ages dining on this Tuesday evening. We were dining with another couple and found the service to be efficient and timely. The waitress was patient and explained many of the food items to us, sharing her favorites as well. The descriptions of both drinks and food was quite creative and gave us all a few laughs.

Now to the food....let's just say conversation stopped when the food arrived and the next words spoken were unanimous "That was GREAT"! Between us we enjoyed the Pork Belly and Scallops, Filet, Crab Cakes, and Lobster Mac n Cheese. The presentation was 5 Star and I could recommend each dish without hesitation. We also split the Hot Black Bottom Ala Mode-Yummy!

Be prepared to spend around $100 for two people but so worth it.

1  Thank Robin P
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

Four of us, two couples who have travelled extensively worldwide, dined here recently and found l’Opossum to be as good as any restaurant we’d ever experienced. I had an extraordinary sea scallops/pork belly dish, my wife had a lobster Mac ‘n cheese w/ Black truffle and our guests a delicious sirloin entree and a Moroccan chicken with cous-cous. Each was simply over the top great. Our appetizers and desserts were similarly memorable.

This is a “do not miss” experience.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

The exterior and area are deceiving, and maybe that will keep away the masses. We ate at the bar. Will the bartender was not only creative but informative and friendly. We will be back. This of course leaves out the main course, the food was fabulous, different, and plentiful.