“Tasty Tacos”
Review of Tarrant's West

Tarrant's West
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #93 of 1,846 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining
Description: Tarrant's West is the bigger and beautiful West End expression of the famous drug store restaurant from historic downtown Richmond, VA. Located in the West End, near Innsbrook and Short Pump, Tarrant's West boasts from scratch soup, salads, seafood entrees, steaks, and an extensive wine, beer and cocktail list. Tarrant's West is a full-service restaurant and catering company. The private dining areas, and outside seating are favorite features of locals and travelers alike.
Reviewed October 10, 2018

Friends from the area selected the restaurant for lunch. We had the mahi and po boy (fried oyster) tacos. They were outstanding. We also had the she crab soup. It was rich and tasty. Service was very attentive.

Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit to this location and we were curious if it would have the charm and character of the one downtown! It does and also has more room! Have already made plans to go later when family is in town. The Greek salad is always my favorite in town...colorful and fresh!
The other couple liked the cinnamon rolls but I thought they were dry but the cream cheese redeemed them! The other 3 at the table had eggs and pancakes and my husband had the same but with waffles. He said the waffle was very good. Service was great. Have already recommended!

Reviewed August 26, 2018

This was our second time eating at this restaurant. The time between visits being several months with one takeout in between. We've been very happy with the food but on both occasions the service left a lot to be desired. For this latest visit we finally had to get up and search out a person behind the bar and ask if it would be possible to get a server to help us. This with the restaurant less than half full. It still took a while to get the food and when it arrived my order was not correct. The salmon that was delivered was good but it was not the chicken that I ordered. In the future we will limit ourselves to takeouts and skip the aggravation.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

I have had lunch and brunch at Tarrant's and have enjoyed those meals. This was our first visit for dinner and it won't be our last. Our server was very chatty and gave us good guidance. At our table, folks ate the Monte Christo Sandwich, 2 pasta Bolognese, Chicken and Waffles, penne a al vodka with herbed chicken, and the fish and chips. Dessert- chocolate cake, brownie with ice cream, gelato. Needless to say, we were stuffed.
There was not one complaint and everyone was commenting on just how good everything was. With a large, varied menu you often get some hits and misses. Not here. Everything was a hit.

Reviewed July 30, 2018

We eat here on avg once a month. At times is great but has always been good to very good. Most the time I'd say very good.

Word to the wise if dinning any night make a reservation. Generally busy so why take a chance. The restaurants acoustics lend to loud when full so consider if you can your choice of table or how you sit at the table hearing each other can be an issue.

We eat at the bar a lot, and same there sometimes great bartender tending to your needs at other times you are lost if you need some service.

We were here on a later afternoon, after the lunch rush and prior to dinner starting to crank. We enjoy the DR that has booths, nice to have one helps w/noise. This time unfortunately we had a AC unit blowing directly onto us, my neck was turning blue and I like cold weather. To the server's credit she got it shut off and the booth was fine.

We shared some apps. fried oysters, stuffed mushrooms, bacon wrapped scallops ( a special) and my wife had a 1/2 salad w/broiled herb chicken breast on it. We have found their various salads tend to be very good. Her salad was very nice, it was obvious that the chicken had just been cooked to order not merely finished off. I love oysters and get them here often, one negative they tend to use their oil too long so they generally are browner oiler then necessary but still are goo to very good.

They, like many restaurants, seem to turn over bar and DR staff at a high rate but especially server's in the DR we have always had very good to excellent service.

They have a huge menu. That to me is often a sign of mediocrity, no so here. I must admit I have never had one of their sandwiches or wraps but everything I have had i'd order again.

I fully recommend Tarrant't just be ready for a noisy night if in middle of dinner service.

Been to Tarrant's West? Share your experiences!