All reviews rick's breakfasts mary todd lincoln two courses welsh rarebit frette linens attention to detail each morning breakfast creations local ingredients my husband and i bacon and eggs front porch floor to ceiling his passion balcony overlooking grounds are gorgeous dining room
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Jackson House Inn was our second stop in our month long tour of America. By the end of our trip, even after visiting cities like New York and Boston, our stay in Vermont was by far the most memorable. We stayed in one of the suites on the third floor and it was much to our delight. My favorite part was waking up to a warm cup of coffee, graciously provided by Kathy, and taking in the amazing view from our deck outside the room. As for the hosts themselves, Rick and Kathy went above and beyond. My husband speaks very little english, so they actually learned a few words to be able to communicate with him. I loved the time that we spent together talking by the impressive fireplace in the restaurant.

The location of the inn was perfect. Only about a mile away from the center of the village, it was very easy to access but we could also enjoy the peace and serenity of the inn without the noise of Woodstock.

The Jackson House Inn is truly a wonderful place and if we ever return to the United States, this inn will most certainly be on our list!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2011

I wish I could communicate the high expectations and standards I have for vacation getaways. My husband and I rely on Trip Advisor for choosing hotels and restaurants. Thanks to other reviewers we chose the Jackson House Inn for a last minute weekend away for the 4th of July. I almost picked the Woodstock Inn because it was the easy way out but instead we opted for this B & B. My husband dreaded the thought that we were going to pull up to a New England inn and find the antique character to actually be a musty, old lodging. How wrong he was. The Jackson House Inn is immaculate and so homey and comfortable. We did stop into the Woodstock Inn and found it to have a rather stuffy hotel atmosphere. It looked nice but it was not what we wanted for a Vermont weekend.

From the moment we walked in until the time we left Kathy and Rick were the most gracious, kind hosts. We booked a suite but like others we toured open rooms and found them all to be outstanding and beautiful. The grounds are perfect too. The inn is a mile and a half west of downtown which is a great location. It was close enough for an easy drive but far enough away to sit on the porch to read and chat in peace.

Another thing I must mention in this review is a restaurant that they sent us to Saturday night. It is in Reading so it won't come up on a search under Woodstock. It is called Keeper's Cafe on Route 106 and it is a MUST to go to for dinner. The charm and menu are classic Vermont. Like the inn it is family run and so unique and special.

Before we left we promised ourselves that we will be back. If you are planning on visiting Woodstock make The Jackson House Inn you place to stay. You will love it too.

Room Tip: You can check out all rooms online.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We spent one night at the Inn and loved everything about it -- the grounds were beautiful, the room (Clara's room) was lovely and comfortable, the owners were warm and attentive, and the breakfast was absolutely incredible. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I had had a great stay at the lovely Jackson House Inn years ago, and always hoped to return. We finally did so last week, when the weather forecast for three straight days of beautiful weather prompted us to plan a quick and much-needed cycling getaway to the Woodstock, VT area. When making reservations, I noticed the management of the inn had changed since we last stayed there, but the new owner/innkeepers had been meriting excellent reviews on Tripadvisor, so I went ahead and reserved the Christine Jackson one-room suite for two nights.

Our stay was nothing short of perfect. Kathy and Rick Terwelp have clearly been working hard over the past year to bring the inn to an unprecedented level of excellence. Rick and son Colin, home from college for the summer, were busy updating the inn’s gorgeous and extensive gardens, in which the peonies were in full bloom, during our stay. Kathy manages the business side of things, and the care of the interior of the inn. The personable Terwelps were extremely hospitable and accommodating to special requests.

The inn is located on a carriage lane off of busy route 4, a bit west of Woodstock Village, and our room was very quiet, with the bedroom at the back of the inn. Our large room was very clean and comfortable, with a patio overlooking the gardens, which includes a swimming pond. The interior of the inn features many handsomely furnished spaces for use by inn guests. A cheerful dining room includes a cozy, fireplaced entrance nook I could imagine making good use of during colder months – with a glass of red wine in one hand and a good book in the other. On a sunny day, however, the view over the backyard gardens is surpassed only by the hearty and delicious breakfasts, in which Rick’s culinary talents take creative flight. Kathy told us that Rick experiments and tinkers with recipes, a la “America’s Test Kitchen,” in his quest to provide gustatory bliss. Dietary restrictions and preferences are cheerfully accommodated. The two-course breakfasts feature local products, and are served with plenty of excellent coffee to get your day off to a great start. And if your day starts much before breakfast, that excellent coffee will show up seemingly magically outside your room a bit earlier, upon request.

The Jackson House Inn is convenient to the restaurants, shopping and services of Woodstock. Its location outside the village center also offers easy access to the beautiful nearby countryside offering so many choices for an active outdoor vacation, and provides a quiet and welcome venue to restore body and mind at the end of the day -- and the beginning of the next.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Booked two rooms for a graduation weekend for Vermont Law School. First room was on the ground floor for my elderly parents, the second room was upstairs. The feather beds provided the best sleep I've had in a long time, and the breakfasts were absolutely sublime: incredibly good food served in a beautiful setting. The furnishings of the inn were lovely, and the hosts were hospitable in every way. If traveling to this part of Vermont: would definitely staff here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family