“Not bad, but not exceptional as reviews led me to expect”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #4 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The experience as a whole was not bad, but to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed against my expectations on two fronts: First is that living and traveling in Asia where high-end hospitality is cheaper to provide and therefore standards are higher and so that forms an implicit benchmark for me even if I recognize that the standards are different in the US (and I admit most considering this hotel will not have this pre-bias). Second is the excellent reviews and positioning of this hotel as the premier property and hospitality experience in Atlanta. That context out of the way, my review:

Rooms were nice, but average-nice against expectations. Furnishings, bathrooms were nice, but not super-nice.

The lobby/entrance was the biggest disappointment. It was small, and undistinguished. It felt more like the entrance to a (small luxury) apartment complex, than like a small boutique hotel experience. Makes me suspect the building was not originally designed as a hotel. I was actually confused when I initially entered the building that we had gone to the wrong place.

Service was average, but against expectations below average. No specific examples, but a general sluggishness of attentiveness (and being an American living abroad I don't consider myself a needy or demanding personality). The exception was the car service which was excellent and with the service there the standard I had been expecting.

Location seemed great - right across the street from a major mall, and within driving (car service) of everything I had needed. But then I am most unfamiliar with Atlanta.

Nonetheless, I thought the hotel was good value (the relatively lower price perhaps should have been a better signal, and I admit that I am very unfamiliar with the standards / market for Atlanta or indeed for the whole region), and I would definitely come back here, given the location.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heehorse
ManagerRosewood, Managing Director at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

I always enjoy reviews from our international guests and receiving their impression of The Mansion on Peachtree from an international perspective. It goes a long way in keeping us on our toes so that we continue to be deserving of the "luxury" status that we are proud to enjoy. Your comments are most interesting and welcome and I thank you for sharing your personal observations of our hotel with us. I would especially like to clarify that the hotel was designed and built originally as a hotel and our entrance/lobby was designed for that purpose. Our condominium tower above the hotel has its own private entrance and lobby. As a boutique hotel, we do have small, intimate public areas in an effort to create a warm, intimate, welcoming ambiance. Our staff plays a large part in making that happen and by far, the majority of the compliments we receive are about the wonderful staff.

We hope to be welcoming you back again soon as we value your visits and want to do whatever we can to make them as special as possible for you. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Mica Hill, Managing Director

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Mansion exceeded expectations! We've stayed at the Turtle Creek hotel in Dallas but this is better.

Nothing was too much for them and the room, food etc was truly 5* at a reasonable price

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank StevenAstaire
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was a very nice hotel, though terribly overpriced. The room was nice and the bed was fantastic; however, there was certainly nothing about the hotel that merits its price. The best thing about the hotel is certainly the very kind employees. You can not enter without being acknowledged and there seemed to be real sincerity in their attention.
I ordered room service without checking the menu and ended up with a $50 bagel with salmon and a plate of fruit. Also $32 valet parking per day!

Room Tip: If there is a handicapped room, the bathroom is huge!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerRosewood, Managing Director at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your comments and we do appreciate your feedback about the staff. I am so proud of them as they put all of their energy and heart into making our guests feel special and their visits memorable.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We've stayed at this hotel 2x now for local staycations... both tiimes have been great, although the 1st time we were upgraded to a butler-serviced room with a deck overlookig Ptree Street.

Wonderful location, was sad to too see Craft leave, hopefully they'll get something moved into the adjoining restaurant space soon... really completes the location. The bar/lounge are is fantastic in that it never seems overly crowded, almost as if the rest of Atlanta doesn't even know about it, good for us I guess.

Room highlights:

Room: wonderful king-size with amazing bathroom... good enough sized room to enjoy room service comfortably. Very, very quiet depsite being street-facing side.
Beds: Awesome... some of the best we've enjoyed ever.
Bathroom: Huge. With seperate shower/oversized tub set-up... would like to have a fan in the toilet area though.
Cleanliness: Perfect... as expected. Never had an aissue with the rooms or the hotel.
Service: Wonderful. Local car transportation is an underrated luxury... we even used it to take us to the only other 5* hotel for dinner/drinks.
Misc: I don't understand the TV location in the rooms we've stayed in... awkardly located as compared to the bed. Neatly hidden behind artwork however.

We love this place... its a nice local luxurious option.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
ManagerRosewood, Managing Director at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

It is reviews like yours that keeps all of us here at The Mansion so excited about our hotel and eager to please our guests. Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor and for being a part of The Mansion family. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently flew to Atlanta from Florida while my sister flew to Atlanta from Indiana and our synchronized flights let us meet in the Atlanta airport to share a fun four days in this amazing city. In celebration of my birthday, my sister reserved our room at the Mansion on Peachtree, which was an absolutely wonderful hotel. Everyone who works at the Mansion were friendly and seemed to enjoy being a part of the Mansion staff. We enjoyed breakfast in the dining room each morning...inviting atmosphere, outstanding waiters & waitresses and we enjoyed the food immensely. Our room was gorgeous and immaculate. The staff was very helpful in giving us directions to our destinations each day and transportation was arranged by the hotel. I turned 64 on my birthday, but celebrating at the Mansion on Peachtree with my sister made reaching the age of 64 painless! :)

Room Tip: I don't think one could possible get a room that was less than outstanding in this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Your story of how you and your sister met at The Mansion to celebrate your birthday was truly heart-warming for me. You both came so far and knowing that we were able to eliminate "the pain" and create a special experience for you both, makes it all so special to us as well. We hope you can continue to reunite at The Mansion in the future and always let us know if it is for a special occasion such as a birthday, etc. Thank you for sharing this experience with TripAdvisor readers.

A Belated Happy Birthday,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is a very nice hotel. Its room is very nice and beautiful. There is a one package in that hotel Stay two nights and receive the third night free. Valid through Dec. 31, 2012. Not combinable with other offers nor applicable on group bookings. Stay must be a consecutive-night stay and complimentary night is only applicable on that stay. No charges of that night. It is very fantastic for Businessmen and others peoples.
one more offer is Mansion Advantage Special Offer
Enjoy special rates when booking 7 days or more in advance. Offer requires advanced booking and full prepayment of room/tax for the entire stay at time of booking. Prepayment is charged to credit card between time of booking and day of arrival and is non-refundable. The credit card used in booking must be presented at check-in. No refunds if cancelled; no changes permitted.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ahsanlhr
ManagerRosewood, Managing Director at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

You did such a great job of explaining a couple of our wonderful packages....and I'm delighted to hear your impression of them. Thank you for sharing your valuable input with the readers of TripAdvisor and for being such a great fan of The Mansion on Peachtree. We're looking forward to continuing to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I managed to get to stay at this fabulous hotel by chance. The original booking was with another chain that deliberately over subscribes on the chance of getting cancellations, but on this occasion 4 of us traveling for business purposes arrived late and had no rooms - so we got moved to the Mansion..
We were very tired after a long day & flights over to Atlanta, and the team at the Mansion could not have been better. They kept the kitchen & bar open for us and our rooms were beautiful.
I know this hotel is not cheap, but if you do ever come across a good deal or opportunity to stay at this hotel you will not be disappointed, I promise.

Room Tip: We all had great rooms, if you have a preference this team listen and accommodate accordingly.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Doreen626

I loved reading your "story" about how you came to stay with us and sincerely hope that you will continue to return to The Mansion on Peachtree. Our guests are truly special to us and on behalf of the staff, thank you for sharing your great comments with TripAdvisor.