“i actually liked it”

Ranked #17 of 289 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Rockwall, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“i actually liked it”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The zoo was small has previous users have stated. I went on a cold day so ALOT of the animals werent available for viewing and ALL of the attractions were closed including the kids area. However I loved that the animals that we did see were up close. You could very clearly see the tigers playing together. It was fine sizewise for me but you definitely can't make a day of it. We even got to see an elephant paint a picture!

Visited February 2012

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
atlanta, GA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Gem of a zoo”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Zoo Atlanta is a lovely zoo that can be easily seen in a few hours. Located in the Grant Park (fun for picnics), the zoo's family membership deal is a real value (otherwise the cost for individual tickets seems a bit pricey to me). My family has been coming here since my children were babies and at 15 and 18 they still enjoy it! The bird show is one of their favorite shows. The zoo does a lot in terms of education and they offer fun progrms throughout the year (Halloween's Boo at the Zoo etc.). We usually do not eat there but prefer to picnic or go to nearby Six Feet Under overlooking historic Oakland Cemetary.

Visited January 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“It had animals”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

It is an ok zoo. Nothing amazing. We only went because we had a citypass package ticket deal and it was a use or lose situation. I would equate it with the quality of zoo I saw in Nassau. The National Zoo in DC is far better and is free!

Visited March 2011
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Oh yeah!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

A wonderful place to visit with kids, family or couples.

Atlanta, GA
“Small Zoo, Above Average Exhibits”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I have enjoyed visiting Zoo Atlanta since I was a young boy, and it has played a large role in my upbringing. While Zoo Atlanta has certainly come a long way since it was named one of the "worst zoos in America" by Parade magazine in 1984, I would like to see it expand its boundaries and upgrade some of its exhibits. When the Ford African Rainforest opened in the late 1980s, it was a top-notch exhibit (basically what Congo Gorilla Forest at the Bronx Zoo is today). Now, it is beginning to look a bit rough around the edges. I would suggest the following:
1. renovation of the Willie B. Gorilla Conservation Center
2. more complete landscaping of the gorilla exhibit, with the same tropical-looking plants that are present along the walkways.
3. more climbing structures or no more hotwire on the trees in the exhibit, as it is unnecessary
Overall, most of the exhibits have adequate space, but the lack of space and enrichment in the new Bush Dog, Binturong, and Fossa exhibits worries me.
In summary, Zoo Atlanta is a fabulous institution that strives to educate visitors about the conservation of many endangered species, and with its orangutan, gorilla, and giant panda exhibits, it is sure to attract many visitors in the coming decades.

Visited February 2012